Transfer Rumour Andriy Yarmolenko

Do you think we'll sign him this window ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly have no idea what Bobby's plan is. By all accounts Yarmolenko is comfortable enough off the striker, on the left or even as a makeshift striker. But you don't go and sign someone for £15m to play them out of position, do you?

I imagine he'd be RW then. Surely we haven't locked Kev down on a long term contract to be rotating or on the bench though? You'd think Kev would be on the left, but then Bobby never seems to play 2 wingers. Maybe a 4-3-3 is on the cards if we're trying to be more counterattacking? Perhaps the way Barry played against Southampton is indicative of this, with him anchoring the midfield and having any 2 of Clev/Ross/McCarthy playing further forward to his left/right.

Ultimately it will be very exciting to see what the plan is. I have no doubts Deulofeu is a squad player and given our injury record we can't have too many wingers, but with all the talk of a number 10, it seems odds that said player might ultimately be another right winger. But if we were to move away from the 4-2-3-1 and not actually play with someone directly behind Rom, but rather 2 wingers supporting him and them 2 more central midfielders just behind that (eg like the Southampton game) then it might make sense.

That or Bobby has been reading GOT is excited by the prospect of playing every single player ever in the number 10 role.

We kind of used one against Southampton, except the wingers were sticking close to Rom (and technically none of them were actual 'wingers') and the midfield 3 were not all level (like I said, Barry anchored and Cleverley/McCarthy were further forward).

The problem is that, whilst that makes us immense on the counter (Yarmolenko would be a superb counterattacking player), what happens when we play stubborn, defensive teams?

Yarm just uses his 101 Curve from 35 yards out. Twenty shots a game and we win the league.

I think if we get Yarmolenko and the others continue to show their current form we should have a much less static attack than McGeady, Naismith, Osman standing on top of each other. I think we'll be able to open up some gaps in even the most stubborn defences.

We kind of used one against Southampton, except the wingers were sticking close to Rom (and technically none of them were actual 'wingers') and the midfield 3 were not all level (like I said, Barry anchored and Cleverley/McCarthy were further forward).

The problem is that, whilst that makes us immense on the counter (Yarmolenko would be a superb counterattacking player), what happens when we play stubborn, defensive teams?
If we can't break down a team with Kev, Rom, Yarm up front with Barkley and Cleverely pushing up to provide support with the added options of Kone and Del off the bench there is something really wrong. Last season our main issue was Barkley was too far forward and McCarthy and Barry both sat way too far back and we had no real wing danger except when Kev was fit.

Yarmolenko and Barkley can be leathal from distance. Having more than one acurate shooter from distance will give a stubborn defence problems.

"Everton have agreed a £15m deal to sign forward Andriy Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kiev, according to Sky sources.
It is believed the Ukraine international, who scored in Dynamo's 5-2 win over Everton in the Europa League last season, has a buy-out clause in his contract.
Sky sources understand contact has been made between the clubs over a transfer but no deal has been agreed."

Sports journalism in a nutshell...

"Everton have agreed a £15m deal to sign forward Andriy Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kiev, according to Sky sources.
It is believed the Ukraine international, who scored in Dynamo's 5-2 win over Everton in the Europa League last season, has a buy-out clause in his contract.
Sky sources understand contact has been made between the clubs over a transfer but no deal has been agreed."

Sports journalism in a nutshell...
it's more everton than sports journalism, a lot of people saying we have agreed a fee, it's just everton don't like to confirm anything before it's absolutely done.

And they're usually late on that too!

it's more everton than sports journalism, a lot of people saying we have agreed a fee, it's just everton don't like to confirm anything before it's absolutely done.

true enough, I understand it's complicated and Everton are rightfully secretive... but surely it should occur to someone not to contradict the lede two sentences later. anyhow... best not to pay too much attention until he's photographed wearing the kit. and yet, here I am...

I honestly have no idea what Bobby's plan is. By all accounts Yarmolenko is comfortable enough off the striker, on the left or even as a makeshift striker. But you don't go and sign someone for £15m to play them out of position, do you?

I imagine he'd be RW then. Surely we haven't locked Kev down on a long term contract to be rotating or on the bench though? You'd think Kev would be on the left, but then Bobby never seems to play 2 wingers. Maybe a 4-3-3 is on the cards if we're trying to be more counterattacking? Perhaps the way Barry played against Southampton is indicative of this, with him anchoring the midfield and having any 2 of Clev/Ross/McCarthy playing further forward to his left/right.

Ultimately it will be very exciting to see what the plan is. I have no doubts Deulofeu is a squad player and given our injury record we can't have too many wingers, but with all the talk of a number 10, it seems odds that said player might ultimately be another right winger. But if we were to move away from the 4-2-3-1 and not actually play with someone directly behind Rom, but rather 2 wingers supporting him and them 2 more central midfielders just behind that (eg like the Southampton game) then it might make sense.

Makes me wonder if part of the Mirallas re-signing deal was to play him in more preferred positions

We can then be treated to Mr Yarmolenko's trademark 30 yard thunderbolts.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back