Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats don't prove everything, I'm just throwing an opinion out there based on what I watch, as you are.
But I'm not. I'm backing up my claim with data. Unless it's countered with more in depth data that shows that the longer ball we use is a clueless hopeful punt more often than other teams' long passes, then my statement that it's all cliched media driven nonsense remains correct.

So we have been mixing it up and the charge that we haven't is bogus?

That's all I wanted confirmed.

Thanks.

I confirmed nothing mate, no answers to your questions from me, all part of the service. Being thanked was nice though. More of that'd be nice.

Cheerio.

But I'm not. I'm backing up my claim with data. Unless it's countered with more in depth data that shows that the longer ball we use is a clueless hopeful punt more often than other teams' long passes, then my statement that it's all cliched media driven nonsense remains correct.

Was Ferguson and arch henchman Osman last week. Oh Dave, you scamp.

I confirmed nothing mate, no answers to your questions from me, all part of the service. Being thanked was nice though. More of that'd be nice.

Cheerio.
You have nothing to offer here. The debate just got technical and you're not up to it.

Everton: play the PL average number of long passes per game. Not a feature of our game to be overly 'confined' in our passing in comparison with other teams. Media BS that we are conspicuous for short passing is lapped up by the gullible.

That's where we are...unless someone has other data to offer that shows these figures in a different light.

*waits for, but doesn't really expect, counter argument*

Sadly for the lonely few, it seems that the parable of the man who built his house on the sand and waited for the tide to come in - the message was fundamentally missed, but at least they got to pop down to Ikea and consider a bit of feng shui.

Back to the thread before it got derailed again. Is Lukaku going through some sort of Everton striker curse? Is he paying the price now for playing through injury earlier in the season? Might Kone be the fleet footed target man that we'll look to hit and play Lukaku in off of?

I wonder what numbers are out there in stato land regards % long balls played that turned possession over immediately versus who gets to decide what a long ball is versus a clearance versus a GK hoof. I mean, I'm not into splitting heirs an all of that mumbo jumbo, I can watch our games or I can read the interpretations and opinions of others (some of whom I lend a little credence to and others I certainly do not).

Where's the equal opportunities for all money Bill?

Ha Ha.

Everton great my arse. He was here a season.

Thanks for your contribution Gray, I'm sure the current playing staff are appreciative of you weighing in on their behalf at a point when they're trying to get shut of the manager.

Oh Davek, COME OUT TO PLAY-AY!!!!

Ha Ha.

Everton great my arse. He was here a season.

Thanks for your contribution Gray, I'm sure the current playing staff are appreciative of you weighing in on their behalf at a point when they're trying to get shut of the manager.
"Everton great my arse" you are talking [Poor language removed] - don't be blinded by his antics on Sky/Radio and him not taking up the managers job .
Andy Gray achieved more in the 18 months he played for us than most players ever have or will. Not only that alongside Peter Reid he galvanised a young team with potential into a great team that won more than we will possibly ever win again.
He brought a winners mentality and added steel to the team an in particular Sharps all round game too.

"Everton great my arse" you are talking [Poor language removed] - don't be blinded by his antics on Sky/Radio and him not taking up the managers job .
Andy Gray achieved more in the 18 months he played for us than most players ever have or will. Not only that alongside Peter Reid he galvanised a young team with potential into a great team that won more than we will possibly ever win again.
He brought a winners mentality and added steel to the team an in particular Sharps all round game too.
You have a low threshold for greatness.

Here are Everton's greats:

Dean - obviously
Lawton - best forward of his generation
Ball - one of the best British players of all time
Southall - best GK in the world at his peak
Sharp - club's top scorer

It's a select group of players and Gray comes nowhere near it.

andy-gray-finger-sky-sports.png

in fairness to Gray he and Reid had a massive affect on that team they were going know were quick till they came into the club and the team, for that every Everton fan should be thankfull, at the time he was are hero, think big Dunc's love in, times 10 for younger posters.
Was he an everton great? for me all that team were and always will be because i honestly cant see us getting a title or a run of success like that again in my lifetime.

There's a difference between acknowledging an influence or impact and conferring greatness on a player.

I believe you have to take a more select view on 'great'. Everton's 80s team was a great team (I've argued till I'm blue in the face that those tv series about world's best/Europe's greatest teams should include that team of Everton's; given the inclusion of some teams, Everton get in there comfortably). But individually you have to have some selectivity. Southall is beyond a shadow of a doubt an all time great. Sharp, given the honours he won and the goals record he holds, similarly. Beyond them it becomes less obvious and the word legend possibly applies better, because they literally leave a legacy (part and parcel of the trophy haul of the 80s). That's basically why Ferguson can never come close to either category. He wasn't a great, and he isn't a legend. He's just notorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back