Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pundits like Gray are a blight on football, Hawking sensationalist views and selling their wares to the daily mail.

It's gone an old boys retirement club, trying to squeeze an alternative living out of football.

Very few are worth listening to.

The only one I have time for in the Uk is Gary Neville.

Pundits like Gray are a blight on football, Hawking sensationalist views and selling their wares to the daily mail.

It's gone an old boys retirement club, trying to squeeze an alternative living out of football.

To be fair there aren't many from the early to mid 80's that were made multi millionaires by their playing time in the game solely.

To be fair there aren't many from the early to mid 80's that were made multi millionaires by their playing time in the game solely.

I don't begrudge people a living, but the level of objective analysis and sensationalist newspaper articles is scandalous.

The likes of Carrager, Redknapp, Alan Sheaer, Phil Neville, Mark Lawerenson are idiots, they don't even try. Yet paid millions for it.

Souness and Neville are the only two who provide any quality punditry, well in Souness's case at least he's honest and calls it and isnt afraid to upset people.

I don't begrudge people a living, but the level of objective analysis and sensationalist newspaper articles is scandalous.

The likes of Carrager, Redknapp, Alan Sheaer, Phil Neville, Mark Lawerenson are idiots, they don't even try. Yet paid millions for it.

Souness and Neville are the only two who provide any quality punditry, well in Souness's case at least he's honest and calls it and isnt afraid to upset people.

Reckon there might be a reason for that?

As far as Souness goes, any honesty that orbits him occasionally is there to buy him back into credit with the devil, it'll take a few thousand lifetimes but there it is.

There's former players down on hard luck, bad times, crap fate. Dr France helped a few of ours out and we kicked up the former players foundation. Appealing to the lowest common denominator is a sure fire means to success. Thats fine, I'm actually all for it, because eventually it means everyone - even kopites have to clean their act up and get a bit smarter and wiser. Until then, the Murdoch gravy train will continue to be behind the commital of crimes and bring us all the pics and the goss.

Back to the thread, Lukaku is a player, but he isn't a one man team. Huge transfer fee's never make a single man into an entire side. The sooner the entire playing eleven start leaving a bit more sweat on the turf the sooner our league fortunes will change.

Reckon there might be a reason for that?

As far as Souness goes, any honesty that orbits him occasionally is there to buy him back into credit with the devil, it'll take a few thousand lifetimes but there it is.

There's former players down on hard luck, bad times, crap fate. Dr France helped a few of ours out and we kicked up the former players foundation. Appealing to the lowest common denominator is a sure fire means to success. Thats fine, I'm actually all for it, because eventually it means everyone - even kopites have to clean their act up and get a bit smarter and wiser. Until then, the Murdoch gravy train will continue to be behind the commital of crimes and bring us all the pics and the goss.

Back to the thread, Lukaku is a player, but he isn't a one man team. Huge transfer fee's never make a single man into an entire side. The sooner the entire playing eleven start leaving a bit more sweat on the turf the sooner our league fortunes will change.

Well said on all points.

To compare bit part players to Andy Gray is just daft
Andy Gray directly contributed to us winning 3 trophies over 2 seasons - scoring in two of the cup finals aswell.
Everton legend without a doubt.
Try standing on the street end right in front of them fences when he's jumping on them spitting and snarling after scoring for us - a sight to behold.
Gray played an important part in Everton becoming the best team in the country and probably would have stayed but for Lineker's arrival.

Gray played an important part in Everton becoming the best team in the country and probably would have stayed but for Lineker's arrival.

Yeah the second half of the season after Heath was injured Gray really stepped up to the mark playing the number 9.

One of the possible reasons (not just because he forgot his boots at Oxford!!) A lot of people didnt take to Lineker was because he replaced Gray maybe, but i dont think he really took to us either even if he has said it was the best club side he ever played in. Grays were hard shoes to fill, even if Lineker did score plenty of goals.

even if he has said it was the best club side he ever played in.

Erm, he went on national tv and said Everton were the best side he ever played for. Not club (IIRC) not british, but ever. Some going. It's all could have beens now. Lukaku could bust 30 goals, no problem, he'd need the side setup for him, but he has it if we play to it. Linekar was all pace and a calm nerve, Lukaku could Hulk-Hogan goals in for us if he was given the chance.

There is two sides to every arguement on every possible thing. Every one is wrong.and right. It's just how well you can present your arguement.

Perhaps if he had a first touch and could hold the ball up they might try pinging it up to him. Unfortunately if the ball isn't in front of him and he's not facing goal he's a bit gash.

Gray is spot on, but it does make you wonder what the side works on in training. Lukaku makes early runs all game, he is one of the few players who always provides an option. Granted a lot of the time it is the longer ball, but he makes some good runs and hardly ever receives the ball, instead it goes sideways and we slowly try to work our way up the pitch. I’ve said it loads of times, if I was him I’d have been complaining for months asking why he was brought in, if they aren’t going to play to his strengths. The few times players have taken it in to their own hands and played him in early, we’ve scored. Even with Mirallas, same thing.

Teams are pressing us high up the pitch because they know we won’t go long and it’s only a matter of time before someone loses the ball and they can attack us. Everton need to start mixing the game up and when sides press us, hit it early to Lukaku and Mirallas, to try and force teams back and stop them pressing. Everton have become the easiest side in the land to play against and it’s frustrating to watch. We rarely look like scoring but always look vulnerable every time we don’t have the ball. It’s like a basketball game, if one side had been on the ale all day and the other was super fit.

And for anyone saying Gray isn’t an Everton legend I can only think they are too young to have seen him play. I guess for the younger posters it’s difficult to imagine Lineker and Gray being Everton players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back