Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
6aatg.jpg

I doubt you'd find too many to agree with you. Martinez's prints are all over that club. He gave a backwater football club going nowhere fast their defining style and approach to the game. It's one that they still retain. It's no exaggeration to say he is the father of Swansea City as we know it.

Dave, RM took Swansea from League one to the championship and managed them for just 2 years until 2009, he ditched Swansea to manage a Pl club and was at Wigan for 3 years of which 3 were spent fighting relegation, the third was unsuccessful. (perhaps he concentrated too much on the cup run). Ditched that club to manage another PL club.So he was away from Swansea for 4 years and did not get them to the PL they were promoted in 2011.

Completely untrue mate.

My father-in-law is a Swansea season ticket holder, doesn't miss a home game. They all still praise RM on the terraces - he installed the blueprint.

Whilst I don't think RM is right for Everton long term, your post couldn't be anymore way off the mark. Martinez sat down with Huw Jenkins (Swansea chairman) back in the day and Jenkins told him that he had a vision for Swansea and wanted them to play in a certain way, and if Bobby could replicate his ideas. RM agreed and got to work immediately, completely changing Swansea's footballing philosophy.

Some Swansea fans are bitter about RM as he left them to go backwards in many people's minds (it was about money - Jenkins couldn't support RM in the transfer market as much as he'd like and Wigan were a Prem League outfit at the time, Swansea were in the Championship).

Then came along Paolo Sousa who was a bad fit - he thought he was the next 'Mourinho' and couldn't get Swansea playing the football that HJ was obsessed with.

Rodgers then came in and the rest is history. Basically, all Rodgers did was tinker with RM's system a little and got them reading off the blueprint left by Roberto. Laudrup had them playing in a faster, more direct style - but always with the ball on the floor.

Today Monk has evolved this again and added a little steel to their play, they're a bit more direct now but still using the same principles that RM left behind.

Since RM being at the club, Swansea have always played with two holding players, one 'number 10', two wingers and 1 striker. Sousa tinkered with that too much and played 4-4-2 on a few ocassions, to Jenkins' dismay.

seem to be having more success than us with their current style than we are with the RM philosphy. Does not look to me like they are using very much of the Rm style now down in South Wales.

Dave, RM took Swansea from League one to the championship and managed them for just 2 years until 2009, he ditched Swansea to manage a Pl club and was at Wigan for 3 years of which 3 were spent fighting relegation, the third was unsuccessful. (perhaps he concentrated too much on the cup run). Ditched that club to manage another PL club.So he was away from Swansea for 4 years and did not get them to the PL they were promoted in 2011.
I must admit you could not get a better pr man than davek.

Using words like 'ditched' shows a bias in your argument. I would hardly describe leaving a Championship side for a Premiership side after getting them up a division as 'ditching' them, it's called trying to progress your career, after massively progressing the fortunes of your current club.

He went to Wigan because they were in the top flight and kept them up for three years, despite them spending absolutely nothing. This discussion about Martinez at Wigan was done to death two years ago and it was shown then that he had done well to keep them up. Some people make it sound like Wigan should have been a comfortable mid table team.

Strange character Gray....the only one of that era who I never took to. Was delighted when he "turned us down for Sky".
Stan Collymore has more relevant comment on Everton than Gray.

No, a case of a mercenary talking a good yarn about 'love for Everton' and then doing the best for themselves....and now this disgraced media whore tries and tells a good man and a successful manager like Martinez where he's going wrong, after ducking both the Villa and Everton jobs.
Cuckoo........Gray was here more than one season by the way and unlike John Bailey or Wayne Clarke Andy Gray was the catalyst to the great side,a bit more than a one season trick pony

Sometimes davek sometimes :eek:

Cuckoo........Gray was here more than one season by the way and unlike John Bailey or Wayne Clarke Andy Gray was the catalyst to the great side,a bit more than a one season trick pony

Sometimes davek sometimes :eek:

I think that's very unfair on Howard and the rest of that team, he basically did what Larosson did at Utd and what Lampard did at City, he was a very good player, but he's a bad media Te now.

Remember the time of their lives thing on Sky, could clearly see Rats, Sheeds thought he was a bell.

Was the right move to get Linekar.

I think that's very unfair on Howard and the rest of that team, he basically did what Larosson did at Utd and what Lampard did at City, he was a very good player, but he's a bad media Te now.

Remember the time of their lives thing on Sky, could clearly see Rats, Sheeds thought he was a bell.

Was the right move to get Linekar.
I think it's a massive complement on Howard as he took a so called injury prone,washed up journeyman and thought 'this fella will set this side off' and he did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back