Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the FA Cup in what way is RM a successful manager?
Didn't he create the modern day Swansea City? I'd say that was a bigger achievement than either Wigan beating us and City to win the cup or overseeing Everton's best ever PL season playing the best football we've registered since the 1980s.

Didn't he create the modern day Swansea City? I'd say that was a bigger achievement than either Wigan beating us and City to win the cup or overseeing Everton's best ever PL season playing the best football we've registered since the 1980s.

Clutching at straws Dave, it is the current manager that has got Swansea in to a footballing side IMO.

Clutching at straws Dave, it is the current manager that has got Swansea in to a footballing side IMO.
I doubt you'd find too many to agree with you. Martinez's prints are all over that club. He gave a backwater football club going nowhere fast their defining style and approach to the game. It's one that they still retain. It's no exaggeration to say he is the father of Swansea City as we know it.

I doubt you'd find too many to agree with you. Martinez's prints are all over that club. He gave a backwater football club going nowhere fast their defining style and approach to the game. It's one that they still retain. It's no exaggeration to say he is the father of Swansea City as we know it.

Not one player who plays for Swansea today was signed by RM. In fact, only a couple of the older ones (Britton, Williams) still play from when he was there. Very harsh on subsequent managers to say he made the modern Swansea.

Last edited:

Completely untrue mate.

My father-in-law is a Swansea season ticket holder, doesn't miss a home game. They all still praise RM on the terraces - he installed the blueprint.

Whilst I don't think RM is right for Everton long term, your post couldn't be anymore way off the mark. Martinez sat down with Huw Jenkins (Swansea chairman) back in the day and Jenkins told him that he had a vision for Swansea and wanted them to play in a certain way, and if Bobby could replicate his ideas. RM agreed and got to work immediately, completely changing Swansea's footballing philosophy.

Some Swansea fans are bitter about RM as he left them to go backwards in many people's minds (it was about money - Jenkins couldn't support RM in the transfer market as much as he'd like and Wigan were a Prem League outfit at the time, Swansea were in the Championship).

Then came along Paolo Sousa who was a bad fit - he thought he was the next 'Mourinho' and couldn't get Swansea playing the football that HJ was obsessed with.

Rodgers then came in and the rest is history. Basically, all Rodgers did was tinker with RM's system a little and got them reading off the blueprint left by Roberto. Laudrup had them playing in a faster, more direct style - but always with the ball on the floor.

Today Monk has evolved this again and added a little steel to their play, they're a bit more direct now but still using the same principles that RM left behind.

Since RM being at the club, Swansea have always played with two holding players, one 'number 10', two wingers and 1 striker. Sousa tinkered with that too much and played 4-4-2 on a few ocassions, to Jenkins' dismay.

Not one player who plays for Swansea today was signed by RM. In fact, only a couple of the older ones (Britton, Williams) still play from when he was there. Very harsh on subsequent managers to say he made the modern Swansea.
That's not a great point, tbh.

Ah, now I think I see the light. Hallelujah. Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

This way of seeing the truth* means our current problems are all because of Moyes.

I should have known it. Silly me.

That's not a great point, tbh.

Why not?

You claim he created the modern Swansea, I would say you are grossly exaggerating. He got them into the championship and brought them forward, absolutely. Getting them from the Championship to the Premier League and then establishing them as a solid Premier League team is a different matter altogether.

Why not?

You claim he created the modern Swansea, I would say you are grossly exaggerating. He got them into the championship and brought them forward, absolutely. Getting them from the Championship to the Premier League and then establishing them as a solid Premier League team is a different matter altogether.
As the post by Jim Lahey above underlines, he gave Swansea their DNA. It's not about present day personnel and their direct connection to Martinez, just as your own DNA isn't merely about your link to your immediate family.

As the post by Jim Lahey above underlines, he gave Swansea their DNA. It's not about present day personnel and their direct connection to Martinez, just as your own DNA isn't merely about your link to your immediate family.

Do you mean the DNA they have today? I would argue that they haven't played the way RM had them playing since Rodgers left.

Do you mean the DNA they have today? I would argue that they haven't played the way RM had them playing since Rodgers left.

Yeah but out with the school of science DNA and in with the faulty at the back Wigan DNA innit. It's still all Moyes' fault though.

Are Swansea still seen as this great passing side? I don't think so. Did RM pass this DNA onto his Wigan team? If so, do they still play great passing football?

"DNA" has nothing to do with it. You play as your current manager wants you to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back