Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the second half of the season after Heath was injured Gray really stepped up to the mark playing the number 9.

One of the possible reasons (not just because he forgot his boots at Oxford!!) A lot of people didnt take to Lineker was because he replaced Gray maybe, but i dont think he really took to us either even if he has said it was the best club side he ever played in. Grays were hard shoes to fill, even if Lineker did score plenty of goals.
The reason he wasn't taken to was because we started smacking the ball long and over defences and changed the style we played.

Oh, how ironic is that now?

I don't really like Andy Grey. He comes across a complete tit and his celebration of Gerrard's goal is literally unforgiveable. (I could never forgive anybody who did that).

He gave great service to Everton as a player, but I can't forgive him his future behaviour. Having said that he is right on this one. We are not using Lukaku to the best of his ability.

Teams are pressing us high up the pitch because they know we won’t go long and it’s only a matter of time before someone loses the ball and they can attack us. Everton need to start mixing the game up and when sides press us, hit it early to Lukaku and Mirallas, to try and force teams back and stop them pressing. Everton have become the easiest side in the land to play against and it’s frustrating to watch. We rarely look like scoring but always look vulnerable every time we don’t have the ball.

Yup.

There's a lot of cliched stuff regarding being found out and not mixing it up. Only nine teams this season have more long passes per game than Everton.

1 Manchester City 50
2 Arsenal 45
3 Chelsea 59
4 Everton 67
5 Manchester United 77
6 Liverpool 59
7 Tottenham 61
8 Southampton 71
9 Swansea 61
10 West Bromwich Albion 72
11 Newcastle United 65
12 Aston Villa 70
13 Sunderland 63
14 Stoke 62
15 Hull 71
16 West Ham 70
17 Queens Park Rangers 77
18 Leicester 73
19 Burnley 80
20 Crystal Palace 68

Of course, that doesn't fit the perception so will be ignored no doubt.

Another bit of BS media driven lapped up nonsense to add to the growing pile.

The reason he wasn't taken to was because we started smacking the ball long and over defences and changed the style we played.

Oh, how ironic is that now?
I seem to remember him being very popular 'Oh Gary, Gary. Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Lineker'. The fact he jumped ship as soon as doesn't mean he wasn't popular during the season with us.

I always remember at the end of that domestic season we heard that Rush was going to play in a 'foreign country'. I was so happy. As it turns out Lineker has a worldie World Cup and leaves for Barca straight away while Juve allow Liverpool to keep Rush for another season. That's Everton.

There's a lot of cliched stuff regarding being found out and not mixing it up. Only nine teams this season have more long passes per game than Everton.

1 Manchester City 50
2 Arsenal 45
3 Chelsea 59
4 Everton 67
5 Manchester United 77
6 Liverpool 59
7 Tottenham 61
8 Southampton 71
9 Swansea 61
11 Newcastle United 65
12 Aston Villa 70
13 Sunderland 63
14 Stoke 62
15 Hull 71
16 West Ham 70
18 Leicester 73
19 Burnley 80
20 Crystal Palace 68

As usual, everyone else is wrong Dave. Cheers.

I seem to remember him being very popular 'Oh Gary, Gary. Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Lineker'. The fact he jumped ship as soon as doesn't mean he wasn't popular during the season with us.

I always remember at the end of that domestic season we heard that Rush was going to play in a 'foreign country'. I was so happy. As it turns out Lineker has a worldie World Cup and leaves for Barca straight away while Juve allow Liverpool to keep Rush for another season. That's Everton.

If you recall there was a certain problem at a place called Heysel which stopped us in our tracks and the team went down from there. The best team we have had in a long while and >>>>>>>>>>>nothing for them to play for on the big stage.

Great employee for our club. Massive turd of a person though. Has no right to use the royal We about us unless he's referring to the team's he was in.

GERRRRAAARRRDDDDDD!!!!!!

It's a bit like music. There's music I really like but the people that created it are absolute bellends.

He wasn't unpopular no. He wasn't taken to as much as others in those 80s teams because we failed to win the success we got before he arrived. Whether it was deserved or not, he was associated with a style of play that suited him rather than the team as a whole. My point was more to do with the irony of it all at a time when some are decrying that we dont play it long and over the top to Lukaku.

1 Manchester City 50
2 Arsenal 45
3 Chelsea 59
4 Everton 67
5 Manchester United 77
6 Liverpool 59
7 Tottenham 61
8 Southampton 71
9 Swansea 61
11 Newcastle United 65
12 Aston Villa 70
13 Sunderland 63
14 Stoke 62
15 Hull 71
16 West Ham 70
18 Leicester 73
19 Burnley 80
20 Crystal Palace 68

I'll wager a large proportion of our long balls have been aimless punts from defence when we've put ourselves under pressure by over playing it. The only game I can recall hitting Lukaku early on a few occasions was Villa at home, Particularly via Baines in the first half. It worked rather well and we won 3-0. Why we've hardly done it since is one of the many baffling things about our season thus far.

I'll wager a large proportion of our long balls have been aimless punts from defence when we've put ourselves under pressure by over playing it. The only game I can recall hitting Lukaku early on a few occasions was Villa at home, Particularly via Baines in the first half. It worked rather well and we won 3-0. Why we've hardly done it since is one of the many baffling things about our season thus far.
Well if that's the case it can be proven given the number of sites devoted to performance stats these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back