Annual Paid Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my previous job, you got more time off as you progressed up the grid, to a maximum of six weeks (plus 75 hours in time bank for stuff such as overtime, etc.). Now I'm semi-retired and working on a golf course from March through December. Straight hours, no stat holiday pay, no overtime, just 4% per pay period in vacation pay. I do get 2-2.5 months off in the winter, though.

The Teachers haven't been on yet with an obscene amount followed by "but we have to work through most of them though."

They fail Teacher Training if that doesn't become a reflex.

Thoroughly deserved. I wouldn't want to spend my entire working day with kids and then only be able to book a week away somewhere when the schools are off.

It's amazing how many people claim teachers have it easy yet they're always advertising to train new teachers and everytime you look in the job ads there's always vacancies for teachers. You'd think such a great job with such sweet perks would have no shortage of willing applicants.

Thoroughly deserved. I wouldn't want to spend my entire working day with kids and then only be able to book a week away somewhere when the schools are off.

It's amazing how many people claim teachers have it easy yet they're always advertising to train new teachers and everytime you look in the job ads there's always vacancies for teachers. You'd think such a great job with such sweet perks would have no shortage of willing applicants.
Been there, done it.

The state sector is not comparable to the private sector when it comes to holidays. I was getting two weeks at Christmas, two at Easter and six in the summer, plus the odd week of half term here and there. Problem was that with a class of 34 or 35 or 36, you only really got any actual rest in the summer because of the sheer amount of admin / paperwork crap demanded by OFSTED, multiplied by the number of pupils in the class. When I moved to a private school, I saw firsthand how teaching can be made to be a rewarding job where people don't have to be flogged to death: three weeks at Christmas, three weeks at Easter, eight weeks in the summer and half-term breaks that are two weeks long. How do they do it? Smaller classes and longer days.

It's a brilliant job IF you can get into a private school, and the holidays are a big part of that. I would rather quit teaching than go back into the state sector, even though the pay in the state sector is slightly better. I take my hat off to anyone who is committed enough to work in the state system.

My previous non-teaching jobs were awful, in comparison, for holidays. In local government I got 20 days plus bank holidays, but you had to book your holidays in advance at the start of the "year" on April 6th, and all the gits with kids always got priority. I worked the fiddly days between Christmas and New Year EVERY year because I was foolish enough not to pump out three kids before the age of 22. Prior to that i was a solicitor and contractually I got 24 days plus bank holidays... in reality you don't get any time off in that industry, because taking your holiday allowance is viewed as a lack of commitment to the firm. I know plenty of folk who have been managed out or repeatedly overlooked for promotion for the sin of taking holiday.

Last edited:

very difficult without a degree, places advertise all this train to teach but it's usually only a couple of subjects that qualify for a bursary & you pretty much need to have a degree anyway.

25, plus bank holidays and you get your birthday off. You can also “Buy” or “sell” up to 5 days per year. Probably one of the best I have worked for on that score.

A company I used to work for gave you more days the longer you had been there, started off at 24 and think I got up to 29.

very difficult without a degree, places advertise all this train to teach but it's usually only a couple of subjects that qualify for a bursary & you pretty much need to have a degree anyway.

True, I think it’s only Maths teachers that get £25,000 a year to train at the moment and you have to have a first class degree in maths, which if you had that you wouldn’t teach, because you could earn twice as much, working in finance or something

23 a year plus bank holidays. Up from 21 as I’ve been with the company two years. We usually get ‘gift days’ during the Christmas shut down which bumps it up to 25/26.

Apparently the average in the US is 10 a year. Completely put me off ever working over there.
Whaaat ???
Christ thats a joke right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back