Annual Paid Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still cant get my head around the states attitude for workers, I couldnt cope with that. Thats a national disgrace. Workers are the ones who make the bloody money in the first place, they should be taken care of better than that. Shocking.

The US system seems to have absolutely zero accommodation for humanity. Employees are simply drones to serve the wealth of the employer. It is a mentality the Tories aspire to.

I for one have always planned and acted that work serves my needs. If it starts treading over my own desires and dreams in my transient, once only existence on the planet, then jib it off.

Life is for living, not helping another human become disproportionately more wealthy than you.
Amen

I get 25 days and all bank holidays. But have to save 3 days each year for Christmas shut down.

However my department head is very accommodating, as he allows additional paid leave for medical appointments, bereavement or child care issues.

1 of those jobs ive applied for that appears to be 25+ b/hols it seems gives quite generous holidays to the u.s. employees, seems theyre 1 of these forward thinking tech companies that embrace such things for the workers.

"to help employees achieve and maintain an optimal work/life balance."

I'm self-employed so this doesn't apply to me but...

...where I live, the minimum entitlement is 25 days paid leave rising to 30 days after 25 years. There are 12 public holidays (13 if you are Protestant).

Most employees get a 13th and 14th month's pay (which are effectively to help pay for summer holidays and Christmas) which are also taxed at a lower level than normal.

And there are official minimum wages set for many industries and jobs within those industries, through annual negotiations between unions (remember them?) and employers' associations.

I get 27 days holiday plus bank holidays but I also get to have up to 2 flexi days a month. This year I'll be taking 18 flexi days so it'll be 53 days off work in total.......oh and I'll get 2 weeks paternity leave in the next couple of months.

The job I got when I came out of National Service (1957) had holidays at 2 weeks each year, plus Bank Holidays. It was like that for several years until we were taken over by Unilever when it went up to 4 weeks. Its gone up to 365 days now.lol

..Civil Servants get 30 days, bank holidays plus a few silly things like the Queens Birthday and Maundy Thursday. I get 365 days because i’m retired.
30 days is only after ten years service. Starting amount is 25. Maundy Thursday is only a half day, and has been scrapped completely under the newer terms and conditions.

30 days is only after ten years service. Starting amount is 25. Maundy Thursday is only a half day, and has been scrapped completely under the newer terms and conditions.

..I think that’s right, I got 41 years in so can’t remember back to 25 days. Maundy Thursday and the Queens birthday always seemed a bit daft and really annoyed non-Civil Servants. I genuinely feel for those whose terms and conditions have changed.

These people on 25 days... is that including weekends?

I thought it was 4 weeks.

Ive been a freelancer for over a decade so i have no idea what the stiffs do anymore.

So 5 weeks holidays?

Thats pretty good.

In England the legal mimimum amount of holiday an employee working a 5 day week must get is 28 days. Depending on the job that usually takes the form of 8 days bank holiday leaving 20 days which works out at 4 weeks.

In my experience most companies let you take those 20 days when you like (within reason) whereas some may tell you when you have to take them (during christmas shutdowns etc etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back