2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's quite similar to Mount in how he plays the game. Both have the nice little burst of acceleration, similar technique on the ball, and happy to scurry around trying to win it back.

For me, Foden's different and a level above Mount, even, but it's great to hear someone like Lampard put him in that bracket.
If foden was at Liverpool or Utd or Chelsea. He would be on a much bigger pedestal.

Mount is a good player so is Maddison, Grealish, sancho( though not had a great season) all these players put alongside foden when he was breaking through. But anyone with half a brain could see foden was on another level.

….watching him at Youth level, I’m a little surprised his finishing and final pass isn’t more clinical. He’s such a decent striker of the ball but I’m not confident when he gets a chance or has the opportunity to pick somebody out.

He clearly loves playing, he’s got terrific physicality and puts defenders out of the game when he takes a pass on the spin. Real energy in his play and real progression in his development. He’s good but he could be very good if he delivers on the obvious threat he carries in the top third.

I saw Richard Keys liken him to Gerrard a few weeks back. I can't really stand the fella, but he is well surrounded by experienced football people. He looks a proper prospect and is very close to being first name on the teamsheet nowadays.
The only person who failed to see the potential of Gordon is some divvy who lives in Birkenhead...

….watching him at Youth level, I’m a little surprised his finishing and final pass isn’t more clinical. He’s such a decent striker of the ball but I’m not confident when he gets a chance or has the opportunity to pick somebody out.

He clearly loves playing, he’s got terrific physicality and puts defenders out of the game when he takes a pass on the spin. Real energy in his play and real progression in his development. He’s good but he could be very good if he delivers on the obvious threat he carries in the top third.
Yes he did score a lot at youth level so hopefully that will improve as he improves.

Not comparing him to these 2 players and not saying he will get to their level.
But lampard got 24 goals in his 148 games at West Ham and moved to Chelsea at 24.
And Gerard scored something like 10 goals in his first 100 games at Liverpool. So for even the best players it doesn’t happen straight away.

I know they’re are more attacking midfielders while Gordon is a winger/wide forward.

He looks a serious player, he’s came through at a vital time for Everton and looks to be a first team player rather than squad player, which the academy needs to produce more of.

He deserves the highest stage for his development so hope we stay up but even if we didn’t he wouldn’t be wanting to leave.

A mate pointed out he tires after an hour and this had an impact with the amount of United traffic coming down his side yesterday for the last half hour. Something to work on but not a concern at his level of experience for now.

Genuinely could be a player that Everton get to build around for the future, and a blue blooded passionate scouse one too. Which is the dream really.

Great game,his touch and tight control is what separates him from a lot of players. Just hoping he continues to build that 90 min fitness as he was being targeted.

I saw Richard Keys liken him to Gerrard a few weeks back. I can't really stand the fella, but he is well surrounded by experienced football people. He looks a proper prospect and is very close to being first name on the teamsheet nowadays.

Was trying to think of who id compare him to Steve McManaman came to mind.

You know i think it will come, we forget how young he is, he has the strike, power and placement ability, he can come on in is instep, i think its about finding his range - hes been unlucky on a lot of occasions, hes been hitting the post regular and has worked some keepers to good saves.

I really liked he and Lampards mantra yesterday of "you make your own luck" - in terms of end product, its very wise and Frankly knows - he made a career out of it and thats good for Flash to have that experience in mentoring.

In a full season - without the pressure we have at the mo i see his output improving.

Thing with Flash is - this may not be it - hes 21 and got better and better season after season - im not sure hes hit his development ceiling yet. A big task for Flash this year was developing consistency - hes done that in spades.

Was trying to think of who id compare him to Steve McManaman came to mind.

I'm not trying to blow my own trumped here, but remember saying to @Eggs a couple of years ago when he was 1st around the first team that here minded me of McManaman. I don't really see Gerrard in there, other than in how he runs from central positions, but can see a lot of McManaman. The way he glides past people, often in 2nd gear, and how he rotates his hips to do it is very similar.

I think Gordan can get a lot better as well. In the youth teams he was more known for his ability to strike a ball and get on the end of things. We haven't seen a lot of that. But as a rule McManaman is probably the closest I can think of stylistically.

I've just said as much above. In the youth teams he was a guy who would get on the end of things, and struck a ball well. He could carry it, but that was more secondary. If he can improve his end product in terms of shooting, he will get a lot of goals, as I think he will get himself into a lot of shooting positions.

You know i think it will come, we forget how young he is, he has the strike, power and placement ability, he can come on in is instep, i think its about finding his range - hes been unlucky on a lot of occasions, hes been hitting the post regular and has worked some keepers to good saves.

I really liked he and Lampards mantra yesterday of "you make your own luck" - in terms of end product, its very wise and Frankly knows - he made a career out of it and thats good for Flash to have that experience in mentoring.

In a full season - without the pressure we have at the mo i see his output improving.

Thing with Flash is - this may not be it - hes 21 and got better and better season after season - im not sure hes hit his development ceiling yet. A big task for Flash this year was developing consistency - hes done that in spades.

One of the problems counting against him at the moment is he is the primary creative force in the front line more often that not. He’s the one winning the ball back, committing men in midfield, taking it on the half turn. DCL and Richarlison (to a lesser extent) want to be the ones getting on the end of the chances.

Now if Gordon was playing in a team like Spurs, he’d be getting multiple through balls a game to be in on the keeper. He’d end up putting some away eventually. At Everton he might get on a game because most of the time he’s the one trying to make a through ball happen.

It’s no coincidence to me that since Iwobi has taken some of the strain off him and started threading some forward balls we’ve seen Gordon get behind defenders twice in two games to earn a pen v Burnley and could have had one v United too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back