2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to blow my own trumped here, but remember saying to @Eggs a couple of years ago when he was 1st around the first team that here minded me of McManaman. I don't really see Gerrard in there, other than in how he runs from central positions, but can see a lot of McManaman. The way he glides past people, often in 2nd gear, and how he rotates his hips to do it is very similar.

I think Gordan can get a lot better as well. In the youth teams he was more known for his ability to strike a ball and get on the end of things. We haven't seen a lot of that. But as a rule McManaman is probably the closest I can think of stylistically.

They both have that languid style, were they can stand on a ball confidently, assess and take you on, while they both have that perpetual motion and energy, they can speed up and slow down and play across the middle - always a sign of a top player who can control tempo - to my mind, or take up central positions around 10 and drop into the engine room. The cutting inside, and taking shots on in the instep while, the pushing the defensive line back and penetrating the box - very similar shared traits. Both Blues to lol.

One thing that has surprised me with him is the rate of development, its been incredible in a year, no one would have been surprised to see him loaned in the summer, from that to being arguably one of our most important players and leaders is an incredible rate of development. One of his areas to improve according to other managers who had him was his defensive game - thats come on hugely, great work ethic. I like you mate think there is more to come.

They both have that languid style, were they can stand on a ball confidently, assess and take you on, while they both have that perpetual motion and energy, they can speed up and slow down and play across the middle - always a sign of a top player who can control temp - to my mind, or take up central positions around 10 and drop into the engine room. The cutting inside, and taking shots on in the instep while, the pushing the defensive line back and penetrating the box - very similar shared traits. Both Blues to lol.

One thing that has surprised me with him is the rate of development, its been incredible in a year, no one would be surprised to see him loaned in the summer, from that to being arguably one of our most important players and leaders is an incredible rate of development. I like you mate think there is more to come.

He has that wonderful thing in sport, which is he plays the game at a slower pace than everyone else. He has time, where others rush. That moment in the 2nd half, where he slowed it down in the box, before going past the defender with a shimmy showed that. He just has a level above the others on the pitch. He's starting to learn how to utilise and maximise this, which takes time.

He has been quite lucky with managers really. I'm not sure why Ancelotti bombed him out, and I'd imagine Preston will be kicking themselves for not using him more (perhaps showing that you don't actually get that much from loans). But his journey has been fortunate. Got his debut as it was a nothing match. Got fortunate when Silva was sacked, fortunate when lockdown came that made him get a run of starts. Then fortunate Ancelotti left who didn't fancy him and had a manager who taught him the defensive side of the game, and now probably fortunate he has a manager who will get him focussing on more offensive things.

I think Lampard will take him to another level over say a Benitez who is quite cautious.

He looks a serious player, he’s came through at a vital time for Everton and looks to be a first team player rather than squad player, which the academy needs to produce more of.

He deserves the highest stage for his development so hope we stay up but even if we didn’t he wouldn’t be wanting to leave.

A mate pointed out he tires after an hour and this had an impact with the amount of United traffic coming down his side yesterday for the last half hour. Something to work on but not a concern at his level of experience for now.

Genuinely could be a player that Everton get to build around for the future, and a blue blooded passionate scouse one too. Which is the dream really.

Yep, you can see it at the 60 minute mark most games he really starts to flag. I actually think Lampard has left him on the pitch longer than he'd usually like on purpose. He's trying to build his mental strength up as much as his physical strength. That'll come in time that and another good pre season behind him.

I say he's flagging like then he nearly produced an absolute belter of an assist. If he'd just found Iwobi with that cut back we'd be creaming our kecks with the little run and shimmy and pass.

Far far more to come from Gordon, he's a brilliant finisher which he hasn't really shown yet. Only a matter of time before he smashes one into the top corner.

I'm not trying to blow my own trumped here, but remember saying to @Eggs a couple of years ago when he was 1st around the first team that here minded me of McManaman. I don't really see Gerrard in there, other than in how he runs from central positions, but can see a lot of McManaman. The way he glides past people, often in 2nd gear, and how he rotates his hips to do it is very similar.

I think Gordan can get a lot better as well. In the youth teams he was more known for his ability to strike a ball and get on the end of things. We haven't seen a lot of that. But as a rule McManaman is probably the closest I can think of stylistically.

…you certainly did. I like comparing young players to established professionals. It’s not saying they’ll be as good, it’s just identifying the ‘type’ of footballer they are. I think McManaman is a good shout, they are a similar shape and both make ground in possession.

Gordon probably does a bit more behind the ball whereas McManaman carried much greater threat than our lad at this stage in his career.

He has that wonderful thing in sport, which is he plays the game at a slower pace than everyone else. He has time, where others rush. That moment in the 2nd half, where he slowed it down in the box, before going past the defender with a shimmy showed that. He just has a level above the others on the pitch. He's starting to learn how to utilise and maximise this, which takes time.

He has been quite lucky with managers really. I'm not sure why Ancelotti bombed him out, and I'd imagine Preston will be kicking themselves for not using him more (perhaps showing that you don't actually get that much from loans). But his journey has been fortunate. Got his debut as it was a nothing match. Got fortunate when Silva was sacked, fortunate when lockdown came that made him get a run of starts. Then fortunate Ancelotti left who didn't fancy him and had a manager who taught him the defensive side of the game, and now probably fortunate he has a manager who will get him focussing on more offensive things.

I think Lampard will take him to another level over say a Benitez who is quite cautious.

Good post mate and may be nuggets of truth in that analysis of his coming through.

Id also say however the lad has thrived and developed in what has been a basket case of stability and consistency in management teams, coming through. He so easily could have been effected and lost in all of that, shows a resilience and determination.

They both have that languid style, were they can stand on a ball confidently, assess and take you on, while they both have that perpetual motion and energy, they can speed up and slow down and play across the middle - always a sign of a top player who can control tempo - to my mind, or take up central positions around 10 and drop into the engine room. The cutting inside, and taking shots on in the instep while, the pushing the defensive line back and penetrating the box - very similar shared traits. Both Blues to lol.

One thing that has surprised me with him is the rate of development, its been incredible in a year, no one would have been surprised to see him loaned in the summer, from that to being arguably one of our most important players and leaders is an incredible rate of development. One of his areas to improve according to other managers who had him was his defensive game - thats come on hugely, great work ethic. I like you mate think there is more to come.

He's great at using his hips to swerve away from people or throw feints. Also always on the front foot looking to run at the opponent asap. V McManaman like.

…you certainly did. I like comparing young players to established professionals. It’s not saying they’ll be as good, it’s just identifying the ‘type’ of footballer they are. I think McManaman is a good shout, they are a similar shape and both make ground in possession.

Gordon probably does a bit more behind the ball whereas McManaman carried much greater threat than our lad at this stage in his career.

Yes I agree. I could see Gordon playing centrally and doing a bit of what mid career Gerrard did for Liverpool- essentially being a roving central midfield player with a license to get forward and score goals. That would be his best position I think. He certainly likes a tackle.

Good post mate and may be nuggets of truth in that analysis of his coming through.

Id also say however the lad has thrived and developed in what has been a basket case of stability and consistency in management teams, coming through. He so easily could have been effected and lost in all of that, shows a resilience and determination.

Yes for sure. He deserves a lot of credit for the work he has put in.

What's exciting to me, is that Dobbin looks as promising as Gordon did at 19 to me, and Whittaker who's 17 I think looks quite similar too. I hope we can start utilising talent a little better.

Yes for sure. He deserves a lot of credit for the work he has put in.

What's exciting to me, is that Dobbin looks as promising as Gordon did at 19 to me, and Whittaker who's 17 I think looks quite similar too. I hope we can start utilising talent a little better.

Seems the manager has a mind to, he named dropped Price last week to. Onyango has a big season ahead as does Nkounkou. Always felt Nathan Boradhead got a raw deal here.

I hope his emergence gives Lampard faith to bring through some of the other youngsters through in the summer. A year ago today Gordon was on loan at Preston and dropped to the bench as they lost 5-0 at home to Brentford, yesterday he scores the winner against Man Utd.
Hope Branthwaite, Dobbin, Price, Welch, Warrington, Simms and Patterson are given full chance to break through in the same way. If they’re good enough, get them in the team/squad. If not yet, loan them out.

Seems the manager has a mind to, he named dropped Price last week to. Onyango has a big season ahead as does Nkounkou. Always felt Nathan Boradhead got a raw deal here.

I don't think Broadhead was ever quite good enough. But some of the ones you have mentioned have got a chance. Shame Small went too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back