2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two points to note about Anthony Gordon.

1. He looks like Mr Logic out of Viz.

2. Diving is part of the modern game. Fine. But Gordon is terrible at it, totally unconvincing, like a comedy parody of a dove. He needs to learn to do it better or stay on his feet.

The issue seems to be his instinct all the time is to go down, especially recently. It seems as though as soon as he gets near the box he's thinking about winning a free kick or a pen. When people talk about his end product this is a big part of why. If he concentrates on going for goal more he'll sort the end product out.

He needs to watch more Vardy/Kane if that's the player he wants to be.

So I think we need to play a proper striker (it’s had to be Rondon atm as DCL isn’t fit) that means Richy on the left. But how Gordon was playing on the left against them lot, skinning them quite a few times, shouldn’t he stay there and be encouraged to do that more? I’m sure Richy could play on the right.

So I think we need to play a proper striker (it’s had to be Rondon atm as DCL isn’t fit) that means Richy on the left. But how Gordon was playing on the left against them lot, skinning them quite a few times, shouldn’t he stay there and be encouraged to do that more? I’m sure Richy could play on the right.
Depends on the Full backs I suppose. I reckon Lampard targeted Trent because we've often seen Gordon on the right. But like you say Richy on the right could work...played there a few times under Carlo I think, wasn't too bad. I'd prefer Rondon up top if we are pushing the other team. A game like yesterday when we were camped in our half and looking for counters the pacey front 3 were better

He literally set up a sitter for Richarlison a game ago and he shanked. Obviously he can get better in the box but this is a massive overreaction.

Its not a massive overreaction just honest criticism, because he hasn't had a final ball this season. It is the same as when Demarai Gray gets on a free kick and the chances of it going in are way lower than James.

And I'm trying to be fair and balanced by listing his pros and cons, he may have been Everton's best player under Frank, but DCL/Richarlison and other runners into the box don't get enough service.

Aside from the Man U game, in most games, I get excited at his blistering runs down the flanks before it eventually goes nowhere. To be fair, the others have been just as bad, Iwobi pops up here and there for a thru pass, but many passes fail, Gray doesn't look like he's going to be winning any assist awards. Gordon is very young, he is not even on Rooney's level at the same age, where Rooney was the best player on his team, and even Rooney struggled to get us out of relegation. We shouldn't have put the burden of this relegation run on him because to me and it would have been better if he played a little less and been more impactful when he comes on. I am still 100% rooting for him and hope he does well.

I guess it depends on the opponents too? The RS have a right back who is very poor defensively and stays high up the pitch, so it made sense to have Gordon there. Maybe against other opponents Richy might be more suitable there.

The issue seems to be his instinct all the time is to go down, especially recently. It seems as though as soon as he gets near the box he's thinking about winning a free kick or a pen. When people talk about his end product this is a big part of why. If he concentrates on going for goal more he'll sort the end product out.

He needs to watch more Vardy/Kane if that's the player he wants to be.
Agree with this, I do wonder if it’s a confidence thing? His pace isn’t an issue and it gives him the confidence to go passed people without even having to think about it, I’m not sure he yet has the confidence in his own ability to either score or, on a more regular basis, deliver they game changer of a final pass.
Without that self belief to either score or deliver the decisive final ball he takes the “safer” option of waiting for the contact in the hope of getting the foul!
That doesn’t take away from the fact that the Matip challenge was 100% a penalty btw

So I see the Gordon’s a diver witch hunt continues from all corners of the rs infested media.

It’s such a shame and so disgusting to see how they are attacking the lads character ,simply because he had the temerity to be an Everton player, go to klanfield, not be phased even at his young age and play very very well and be one of the best players on the pitch in either team, whilst running rings around der best rb in der universe for the entire game and also getting kicked outside the box and fouled in the penalty box, going down following the challenges, like the majority of other prem players do, but getting zero protection from the refs and not getting the penalty merited - it’s despicable.

The toothy Teutonic twunt is an absolute disgrace with his comments about Gordon, when he can defend with a straight face mane and salahs clear cheating and diving over many seasons, the aroogant hypocrite. Just ridiculous from the dope peddling cheat.

Flash will be getting lumps booted out of him from now on, just as andy Johnson did after wenger talked bollocks years ago - the officials need to protect him, but we know that won’t happen.

So I see the Gordon’s a diver witch hunt continues from all corners of the rs infested media.

It’s such a shame and so disgusting to see how they are attacking the lads character ,simply because he had the temerity to be an Everton player, go to klanfield, not be phased even at his young age and play very very well and be one of the best players on the pitch in either team, whilst running rings around der best rb in der universe for the entire game and also getting kicked outside the box and fouled in the penalty box, going down following the challenges, like the majority of other prem players do, but getting zero protection from the refs and not getting the penalty merited - it’s despicable.

The toothy Teutonic twunt is an absolute disgrace with his comments about Gordon, when he can defend with a straight face mane and salahs clear cheating and diving over many seasons, the aroogant hypocrite. Just ridiculous from the dope peddling cheat.

Flash will be getting lumps booted out of him from now on, just as andy Johnson did after wenger talked bollocks years ago - the officials need to protect him, but we know that won’t happen.

Gordon does like a dive, let’s be honest.

Maybe he does, as do many other players mate, not seeing the over reaction and smearing and character assassination going on to anyone else or any other team.

How are we the only team responsible for 50% of all yellow cards shown for diving, from the 19 other teams and across 550odd matches?

He does, but its always with "contact"... whether its enough for a penalty is a different kettle of fish, but I could link to about 40 or 50 players who say "they felt contact so had to go down". Its the way players are bred now, anything to gain an advantage.

Its a sad indictment of the game today, rather then a slight on Gordon.

Sometimes that final ball never really comes for players, sometimes it’s easy as they mature….
we won’t know until we know.

Some players have it early on, which is why they get played at a younger age.

Others have to develop it. Most 'average' premier league players worth their salt that have 6-7 years of prime peak performance, should be a first team regular at 24 imo.

We don't know if he's been told to go down easily.

It could be part of the game plan to move the team higher up the pitch.

Frank could easily tell him to stay up and he would do it.

What Gordon (and Richarlison) should work on, is the decision making and when to go down or ride the tackle and keep going especially when there's space to attack.

That's probably the thing that gets me, is that if its a 1v1 counter attack, I would get up as fast as I could and keep going....

Status
Not open for further replies.