2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean ive already used the Ross Barkley card.

Thats what a special talent looks like.
The circumstances matter though. Ross walked into a team full of confidence with attacking intent. Gordon walked into agent Rafas system and has done his best in far worse circumstances. Not saying Barkley wasn't exciting but I'm pretty confident that at the end of both careers people backing Gordon will be vindicated. Also let's be fair Hibbo and Ossie were pretty good for us too.

The circumstances matter though. Ross walked into a team full of confidence with attacking intent. Gordon walked into agent Rafas system and has done his best in far worse circumstances. Not saying Barkley wasn't exciting but I'm pretty confident that at the end of both careers people backing Gordon will be vindicated. Also let's be fair Hibbo and Ossie were pretty good for us too.
I dont think they got the appreciation till they left tho sadly.

Anyway, ive seen enough in Gordon to not dismiss him completely, but whilst his endeavour has been a real highlight, his talent, well, I have concerns.

Hopefully he can end them next season in a team not scared for its life.

Promised myself I would try and refrain from being overly negative about our players going forward, but seeing people call him a special talent, you guys really making it hard.
To be fair, in his first full-ish season I'd be praising him if he were in RS colours. Not seen anyone we've brought through leave established prem midfielders for dead like he does. A De Bruyne turn of pace and sill a newcomer. Davies got so many more games to establish himself and hold down a place. This lad is an automatic unless he's rested to save him for a bigger game. Best since Rooney for me?

To be fair, in his first full-ish season I'd be praising him if he were in RS colours. Not seen anyone we've brought through leave established prem midfielders for dead like he does. A De Bruyne turn of pace and sill a newcomer. Davies got so many more games to establish himself and hold down a place. This lad is an automatic unless he's rested to save him for a bigger game. Best since Rooney for me?
Were you in a coma when Barkley broke through?

Given the fact that both Rooney and Gordon have shown the minerals to push through with a struggling team it's encouraging but Rooney was a once in a generational talent.

I dont think they got the appreciation till they left tho sadly.

Anyway, ive seen enough in Gordon to not dismiss him completely, but whilst his endeavour has been a real highlight, his talent, well, I have concerns.

Hopefully he can end them next season in a team not scared for its life.
The best thing Gordon has shown is courage, desire, dynamism and an underrated touch and great ability to retain possession under pressure. I know I got sick for saying it but he also gains so many yards on the pitch. He's also expanding his passing and his vision. Against Watford he played the right pass deep to the box for a running player but just a split second too late. I'm confident that what he lacks is very trainable but he isn't the complete article right now. I've said before he's very like Steve McMannaman in playing style. Very important the fans don't turn on him while he develops. Also I agree poor Hibbo and Ossie got stick for years even though they were respectable performers.

I just hope Brentford doesn't become one to many for the lad, he looked absolutely shattered In second half of that Watford game.
A nice early goal and assist for the lad would give him a nice boost of energy, and he's definitely due a god bit of fortune in front of goal.

I think he gets ‘rested’ on Thursday. Not his strong point obviously but so poor for the goal - made it so easy for Henry to get a free header.

I think he is probably our player of the season, however he was the reason we were unable to defend 2 leads today. His tracking (or lack of it) of Henry meant all 3 goals came from our right. His body language just wasnt right and he looked knackered and sulky all match. The one time he did make a run back, he stopped Henry, then just let him go again.

If he had come off at 1-0 for Kenny with Iwobi pushed into the midfield 3, I think we'd have held on. This was the sub required at halftime too at 2-1. Think Lampard showed him too much loyalty even though he was having a stinker.

Hopefully both Lampard and Gordon will have learnt something from today...

Status
Not open for further replies.