2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really not that subjective, most people count assists the same way so that the data is actually useful.

Earning penalties is a different stat you can count and I'd argue that earning a couple a season doesn't push him up too much higher than where he's at without looking at that.

I take your point mate, but I’d disagree I do think it’s subjective and I also think winning a penalty is absolutely an assist -provided it’s converted. Id accept it’s not on most of the data bases though, though I don’t think that, that data is any less impactful then the margins of definition of an assist, ultimately in the game.

Im still saying 4 & 3 ultimately, in essence f transfermarkt. lol

You can go back to any given point in the history of talented footballers in their prime and say they weren't contributing much at that time.

Players develop and improve and AG has done that exponentially. Why is this so hard for some to understand? I could understand the low output criticism if he were 26/27 but he's 21 and had one season ffs.
I remember Ronaldo doing a lot of tricks, beating people for fun but contributing similar returns to Gordon. We can all agree he improved

YouTube scouts, we should sign this promising talent… oh wait ?

Note: should have had a lot more assists!

If youre watching that as an outsider, young lad off the back of his breakthrough season, he looks an absolute baller.
His close control, especially in tight spaces is world class, his acceleration and ease of getting away from defenders again looks as good as anyone in the PL nevermind a 20 year old.
We need to look at his crap set pieces and poor decision making and believe that he will develop them as he matures.
The money being thrown around atm on average players for £25-35m makes him easily worth £50m to a big club.
If we arent backed up against the wall financially as much and can afford to bring in a decent striker and an attacking mid (loan/outright), then we should try and hold onto him for another season.
Prices will likely inflate further in general next summer and if he improves to any great degree there will be suitors lined up next summer, especially if we put a buy-out in his new contract.

You can go back to any given point in the history of talented footballers in their prime and say they weren't contributing much at that time.

Players develop and improve and AG has done that exponentially. Why is this so hard for some to understand? I could understand the low output criticism if he were 26/27 but he's 21 and had one season ffs.
Agree 100% mate.Problem with fans today, unless a player bursts onto the scene like say Rooney, hasnt got 30odd international caps by the time they are 20, they aint good enough.

Reckon he goes. We buy a couple of players everything seems rosey and then we sell DCL at the end of the month… who was never injured in the first place!

Agree 100% mate.Problem with fans today, unless a player bursts onto the scene like say Rooney, hasnt got 30odd international caps by the time they are 20, they aint good enough.

Problem is we don’t really have a great track record for improving youngsters once they get into the squad, infact they often seem to get worse and regress.

DCL being the obvious exception

If youre watching that as an outsider, young lad off the back of his breakthrough season, he looks an absolute baller.
His close control, especially in tight spaces is world class, his acceleration and ease of getting away from defenders again looks as good as anyone in the PL nevermind a 20 year old.
We need to look at his crap set pieces and poor decision making and believe that he will develop them as he matures.
The money being thrown around atm on average players for £25-35m makes him easily worth £50m to a big club.
If we arent backed up against the wall financially as much and can afford to bring in a decent striker and an attacking mid (loan/outright), then we should try and hold onto him for another season.
Prices will likely inflate further in general next summer and if he improves to any great degree there will be suitors lined up next summer, especially if we put a buy-out in his new contract.
From everything I’ve seen he’s a dedicated professional and is the type to be doing all he can to go as far as he can. I’m sure the finishing and consistency will come and there’ll be a reason he’s on corners, just not producing in matches.

If he wants to stay, we should be doing all we can to keep ahold of him.

I'd find it detracts from your argument to squabble over the semantics of what constitutes an assist.
The assist stat is is a ridiculous stat, it’s all dependant on having players who can put away chances.
I’ve seen us create plenty of chances over the years for a striker to miss, no one gets any credit at all for that.
We had no actual CF for parts of last season, do we get some stat help for that.
They only count an assist when it ends up in a goal.

Problem is we don’t really have a great track record for improving youngsters once they get into the squad, infact they often seem to get worse and regress.

DCL being the obvious exception
Some youngsters need the time and backing to improve, they will mistakes more in the early parts of their career.
Mistakes means fans get on their backs quicker, so it’s a bit of a vicious cycle.
We have always had a decent percentage for home grown youngsters getting a chance, so the percentages of not making it will always be higher.
We have a very good percentage of our youngsters having a professional football career of some sort though.

Some youngsters need the time and backing to improve, they will mistakes more in the early parts of their career.
Mistakes means fans get on their backs quicker, so it’s a bit of a vicious cycle.
We have always had a decent percentage for home grown youngsters getting a chance, so the percentages of not making it will always be higher.
We have a very good percentage of our youngsters having a professional football career of some sort though.
I don't think anyone is suggesting Gordon shouldn't get time and backing if he's at the club.

From everything I’ve seen he’s a dedicated professional and is the type to be doing all he can to go as far as he can. I’m sure the finishing and consistency will come and there’ll be a reason he’s on corners, just not producing in matches.

If he wants to stay, we should be doing all we can to keep ahold of him.

The corners thing is weird...if he is showing skill in training im not sure how games are different...its a deal ball.

The corners thing is weird...if he is showing skill in training im not sure how games are different...its a deal ball.
Tbh we should be mixing our corners up more anyway, watching Brentford the other day they seemed to have multiple prepared variations of corners, whether it was long, short, to the edge of the box, on top of the keeper etc, etc. Sometimes when you don't maybe have the best players you do need to mix it up as much as possible to give you an advantage and make things less predictable imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.