Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t it not the fact that’s it’s not 50 million plus 10 in add ons. Isn’t the problem that they offering a low up front fee, and the rest are add ons which would be unlikely to get?
That’s what’s been reported yeah. I assume we will be trying to get a large upfront fee or it’s no deal. We need cash to push through other deals I suspect.

Was producing match winning performances for Swansea tho. 2017 was prob peak market too. Mainly cos we entered the market
Yeah. Sigurdsson was a £20million player and we should really have walked away. Especially since we had 20 other number 10s lol

But again, we’re talking markets - you and spadge are set on him being a 60m footballer because the market says he is and that’s what we have valued him at.

Do you think Anthony Gordon’s current footballing ability (if he played for anyone in the league) and output is that of a 60m pound footballer? (Ignore the prospect status). Based purely on his current level of football and what he brings you on the pitch is that 60m?
In a world where Che Adams is being quoted at 25m mate and where a striker for Blackburn with one good season and one year left on his contract us 15-20m then yes that marker dictates Gordon's worth, as does one where a cb is 80m quid after one good season and only recently back from breaking his leg or Grealish sh goes for 100m or we buy a Turkish journeyman and it costs us 40+m in total

His value is what we define the benefits he offers against what another club sees as an acceptable cost of aquiring those benefits. Currently the market says 60 million. Whether that price meets our valuation or expected payment scedule is up to the fella that owns him.
I think you're being obtuse here. That isn't the point he's making and I think you know it. We can set a price and someone can pay it, but that doesn't mean he's objectively 'worth' that amount, which is the point being made.

If you want to use accepted methods to calculate a player’s value, then you need to be looking at variables such as;

age, nationality, position, characteristics of play/style, and performance criteria weighted against past performance and future potentioal.

Benchmarking against comparable players (Grealish, Sancho) who have (recently) been sold in the Prem with similar characteristics, and acknowledging the premium on English talent.

Injuries would obviously be taken into account to identify risk and expected related discounts but Gordon has been lucky in that respect.

For younger players a future potential performance premium would be the norm. You could call it an advance on forecast future performance levels due to the perceptions of the market. For Gordon it is clear that the pros and execs in the game expect him to go on to become a top, top player even if you don’t understand this. You are seeing huge bids coming in because he is highly valued by those that define the market, not some lads on a footy forum.
100% agree with all of the above mate, I know first hand how players are valued based on performance analysis, development metrics and the criteria of management their footballing philosophies, which differ club to club. I’m very impressed that you have a great understanding of these things and that football isn’t ‘just football’. Merely just trying to tease you into revealing how much you really think he is worth on the pitch based on current output, but your footballing knowledge is beyond the average fan!

The £50m would go into the books if that's what's guaranteed of course, but it would free up more funds for us to spend too. Basically a £50m fee, in P&L terms, would probably allow us to spend over £100m in fees in the next week. Not that I think we would, but it would allow that, because of the pure profit that is coming into the club that, along with the Kean money, can be counted as a very good year - relatively speaking of course - financially between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.

It would enable us to spend more in downpayments, which has been a huge issue all summer.

The only thing it comes down to is time. And that's where I agree with you that it's a struggle. But if they are wanting a player on loan too as part of the deal, especially if that's Broja, then it would seem they are wanting to get at least one problem position filled by that route, which perhaps means we are able to assess our options instead of rushing into it.

He's first and foremost our creative spark yet he doesn't create quality opportunities or score many goals. He shouldn't be, but he is. At the quality he is right now, he shouldn't even be a guaranteed starter IMO, and it's a travesty that he is and so much has been expected of him. Both of those things can improve, and it's great that he's got the work rate as a basis to build from already.

But if Everton are going to get £50m+, or £60m all inclusive of add ons, or £50m and Broja on loan... I don't see how or why we could turn it down.
Taking Broja on loan in exchange for selling Gordon would be very disappointing.
Broja is still more potential than reality.
He is a also CF rather than Forward so once Calvert - Lewin returns in two or three weeks he will be a bench warmer at best.
If we have to sell Gordon let’s not end up paying for the dubious privilege of developing another teams player only to have to pay out more money on next seasons replacement.

Show me a player worth 30m who can be expected to bring that goal return and has the defensive/pressing statistics of Gordon mate?

You rate Terrier his stats are great, but look at the system and players around him l, you drop him in Gordon's position does he replicate even half those numbers he has done?

Hell stick Mount in this team he doesn't because the setup isn't conducive to it.

If you where the opposition managers looking at the current Everton side the one player you'd even remotely be concerned about is Gordon, nobody else carries any real danger

This is a point that is missing in a lot of analysis, particularly the "he only gets 4 goals" line of thinking.

Take Terrier, and I like Terrier. But he has played for sides who are top half in their league, and in some cases top 6. Teams that have 55%+ possession and make chances.

Gordon has had a season in a side that finished 16th, and a side that when he broke into it averaged less than 1 point per game. With the lowest possession in the league. So you have to discount goals of others for that, and factor it in for Gordon.

Then you have to discount for other leagues to the PL. Partially because it takes time to settle in another country but also because the standard is higher. What discount rate you attach will differ, but it exists.

On the former point, we scored 37 goals last season. Gordon got 10-15% of them. Say Terrier gets 20% of Rennes goals, and you discount by 25% (which seems quite low) he on about 6 goals for us.

It seems overly punitive, but the problem we have had, is seeing returns for players abroad and just assuming they convert on a like for like basis here.

It was more to do with the players we replaced him with. Rooney couldn't do everything on his own but the 2 or 3 players we replaced him with made a great contribution. Cahill and Pip Neville I think.
Refresh my memory as to what our trophy haul amounted to post Rooney?

Taking Broja on loan in exchange for selling Gordon would be very disappointing.
Broja is still more potential than reality.
He is a also CF rather than Forward so once Calvert - Lewin returns in two or three weeks he will be a bench warmer at best.
If we have to sell Gordon let’s not end up paying for the dubious privilege of developing another teams player only to have to pay out more money on next seasons replacement.
Agreed I think if Broja comes in then we need 1 more too. Although I think we need overall at least 2 more attackers in regardless

If I was Chelsea seeing what they lack throughout that team then yes, I'd have also signed Richy if I was them too.

That's also the thing, Chelsea are in a wholly different market to us. So it's a bit of an irrelevant question.

I can see a world, where they see what Gordon has done, factor in what he can do with better players, but crucially that he has the discipline and ability to fit into a system without the ball, and think he is a player I'd go for.

He will get a lot better playing with the likes of Silva, Havertz, Mount, Kante etc. You can just see his upside is much better than say a McNeil who is a similar age and profile.

In a world where Che Adams is being quoted at 25m mate and where a striker for Blackburn with one good season and one year left on his contract us 15-20m then yes that marker dictates Gordon's worth, as does one where a cb is 80m quid after one good season and only recently back from breaking his leg or Grealish sh goes for 100m or we buy a Turkish journeyman and it costs us 40+m in total
End of the day he is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If we value him higher then fair enough. But every business should have a peak value of every asset and once that value is met should be sold.

Remember the rumoured 90m Barca bid for Richarlison. Lots said we would be mad to sell at that price as his price will only go up. Well look what happened there. We don't know what's around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back