Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note on all the no end product stuff.

Giggs at 19 at united his breakout season - 38 games, 4 goals.
Gerrards first season as a starter at 20, 29 games 1 goal.
Ronaldos first season at united at 19 - 29 games 4 goals, second season at same age Gordon was 33 games and 5 goals.
Lampards first season at Chelsea at 22 37 games 5 goals

Broja or Gallagher on a permanent deal with them valued at no more than £25m. The rest made up in cash, up to the £50m mark, then £10m in add-ons would be a great deal. But obviously never happening.

Ronaldos first season at united at 19 - 29 games 4 goals, second season at same age Gordon was 33 games and 5 goals.
Not many people are disputing that though are they? I don't think anybody's saying he'll never score more than 4 goals in his entire career. The main point people are making is that they think the team as it is may well get relegated, and so it needs to be improved in the short term. It's a long, long way from being ideal. I would not advocate selling a player like Gordon in normal times, but these aren't normal times. We're very much a relegation candidate and we appear to be in financial difficulty for one reason or another. On that basis cashing in on an asset who might get better in order to bring in players who are more capable of helping us in the short/medium term seems like a sound idea to me, even though I'd rather it wasn't necessary.

One of the first problems you have there is taking an opinion from Twitter.

Second one is tapping into a particular sentiment that exists on there from African Chelsea fans. You don't really have to use twitter too much to find it. The general gist is that (apparently) Tammy, Hudson-Odoi, Chukwuemeka, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek etc are all world class players who aren't given chances because of discrimination, and all the white English players are inferior and overrated.

Beyond that, though, one of those players has been playing in the top 4 the whole time (and for a CL, Europa League, CWC winning team), and the other has played for a team that has been flirting with the relegation places. Comparing top level stats makes people look like they know less about football, rather than more

And they all got better because they had better players around them.
We don't have that luxury which means Gordon will waste his career hanging around here.

I would say no, and that's the point he's making. What we believe a player is worth obviously doesn't make a difference to whether a club will pay it or not but it doesn't stop us from discussing it.
Good for you mate. Isn't it great that we have such a wonderful resource as GOT to put the world to rights and demonstrate to our peers what insightful men and women we are.

60 million bid by Chelsea though eh! Spurs waiting in the wings.

Come on mate. We were best of the rest. Constantly finishing in the top 6. A far cry from where we are now.
Didn't we finish 17th with Rooney?
Best of the rest isn’t a measure of success it’s phrase that is and was steeped in irony.
Competing for actual trophies has to to be the aim for any club let alone Everton or what’s the actual point?

Good for you mate. Isn't it great that we have such a wonderful resource as GOT to put the world to rights and demonstrate to our peers what insightful men and women we are.

60 million bid by Chelsea though eh! Spurs waiting in the wings.

Are we trying to show how insightful we are, or just talking about football? I can only answer for myself and say it's the latter, but the former being more important to you would make sense now you come to mention it.

Not many people are disputing that though are they? I don't think anybody's saying he'll never score more than 4 goals in his entire career. The main point people are making is that they think the team as it is may well get relegated, and so it needs to be improved in the short term. It's a long, long way from being ideal. I would not advocate selling a player like Gordon in normal times, but these aren't normal times. We're very much a relegation candidate and we appear to be in financial difficulty for one reason or another. On that basis cashing in on an asset who might get better in order to bring in players who are more capable of helping us in the short/medium term seems like a sound idea to me, even though I'd rather it wasn't necessary.

But isn't that risking bring stuck in the same cycle again and again and again mate. You sell off the few players you have who has e the potential to really take off and make a massive difference then basically you're just delaying the inevitable.

Take west ham - they kept Rice instead of cashing in and it paid off way more than if they'd tried a short term fix by cashing in on him (they did that when they had Lampard, Cole and Ferdinand and see what happened).

If we literally don't have any money whatsoever without selling then your point may be more valid, but then questions have to be asked about why in that situation do you pay 20m for McNeil and 30+m for Onana who isn't any sort of short term fix but a longer term project based on potential.

Can't have it both ways imo, either our recruitment has been woeful in terms of proper use of finances or we have finances and selling Gordon gives us a way of not actually spending money we don't want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back