Are we a one man team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, we have a hell of midfield nowadays. Davies, Gueye, Schneiderlin and Barkley are all playing well and Coleman deserves a mention for being consistent.

I'd happily sack off the rest though.

It would be unthinkable to leave him out of the team, the thought of all these added Europa games must be keeping him awake at night

Yep. I dare say such stats cut across the headline figures. Other factors to bear in mind is how well serviced these top players are. I think Lukaku is serviced, but not with the quality other star men are used to regularly and that can balance out the games played qualification a bit.
Better to analyse at the end of season tbh mate

Him being a fantastic goal scorer and our tactics of getting the ball to him. Don't forget he scores a lot in games we already have one or two goals in as well. So looking at the game situation will prove how important his goal % is.

We've got the most number of different goalscorers this season as well. I do think there's is a lot of reliance on Rom to score goals. It's a miracle that Rom has been so fit and injury free and worrying that there hasn't been a good second striker who could get around 10 goals plus a season for years now.

Honestly? I think Koeman prefers to have three or so capable central forwards. We are maximising Lukaku's strengths whilst he is here and rightly so. While he stays we may not see another quality striker come in. But if he goes, I could see three or so forwards come in to perhaps come share the burden.

Don't forget if/when we do sell Rom we'll bring in replacements - it's not as if we'll be playing with no striker if/when he goes. We'll still have goals up top.

Disappointed with your last few fishing trips Davek
Maybe deal with the proposition?

It is there as large as life and twice as ugly: we are completely unbalanced as a team. We are not going to be fit for purpose in any post-Lukaku era initially.

I dont know, I see that as a problem.

In terms of goals, yes. 21 goals and 6/7 assists in 29 games clearly shows that. In terms of overall play, certainly not. It's impossible for a lone out-and-out striker to carry a team.

We don't have an alternative regular goalscorer, which is why we're not in or challenging the top 4, but other players such as Gueye, Coleman, Barkley and recently Davies and Schneiderlin clearly contribute a lot in build-up play, giving Lukaku the chances to score.

No.

He is the fulcrum of our attack and that needs addressing but we have an excellent midfield unit too.

Strikers always take the headlines as they are the Swan taking the grace.

The legwork below the surface is what makes it all work. The team is totally set up to feed Lukaku, hence why we play him as a lone striker. DCL scores yesterday but 2 up top limits Roms impact.

Tbf to Koeman, this is a situation that's been coming down the track. Martinez organised the attack around Lukaku and now Koeman has continued it but made it more pronounced, because it seems to me we dont get anywhere near like the number of players in and around the opposition area to also make key contributions in volume.

It's a massive problem now. Where are are Eriksens and Allis and De Bruynes and Hazards and Pedros?

Barkley on 8 last season and Mirallas doing the same three seasons ago is as good as it's got for us.

We need to be getting lots of goals from two more outside of our main striker - whomever that shall be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back