Are we a one man team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I dare say such stats cut across the headline figures. Other factors to bear in mind is how well serviced these top players are. I think Lukaku is serviced, but not with the quality other star men are used to regularly and that can balance out the games played qualification a bit.

Over his career with us so far, his % equates to about the same % of the teams goals I think as Royle and Latchford.

Saying that if we scored a few from corners etc the % would reduce, same for free kicks,etc, our set piece woefulness is another that scews his stat further %.

No idea how someone like shearer stat % was over his career for his teams either, or other top top strikers that had their teams built around providing for them.

Well score about 65-70 goals this year. Last year we scored 59 and that was after most of the team quit the last couple months of the season. The difference is the defense which we are tied for 5th and will go to 4th after Man City plays their 2 games in hand.

The side is set up with more emphasis on getting Rom the ball too. So we aren't a 1 man team. We should be OK without him but it might be a minor step back next year.

Over his career with us so far, his % equates to about the same % of the teams goals I think as Royle and Latchford.

Saying that if we scored a few from corners etc the % would reduce, same for free kicks,etc, our set piece woefulness is another that scews his stat further %.

No idea how someone like shearer stat % was over his career for his teams either, or other top top strikers that had their teams built around providing for them.
Thats a decent point about set pieces. Nine goals from all set pieces is piss poor.

...Lukaku is very good at what he does but there will be a life after him in much the same way as there was life after Lineker left for Barcelona in 1986. I know there's a view within the club's managerial hierarchy the Lukaku is lazy so you never know what a more mobile type will bring to the team.

I watched him and Ibrahimovic closely in the game at Goodison and the contrast was stark. What a player Ibrahimovic is even at this stage in his career. Lukaku didn't help the cause in the Derby match when we needed a different type of performance from him. He's a terrific goalscorer and we are reliant on him but not a one man team.

Well score about 65-70 goals this year. Last year we scored 59 and that was after most of the team quit the last couple months of the season. The difference is the defense which we are tied for 5th and will go to 4th after Man City plays their 2 games in hand.

The side is set up with more emphasis on getting Rom the ball too. So we aren't a 1 man team. We should be OK without him but it might be a minor step back next year.
I said from an attacking perspective mate. That point about setting up exclusively for RL is right.

Thats a decent point about set pieces. Nine goals from all set pieces is piss poor.

We don't deliver them well and we don't attack them well, as for free kicks - Ughhhhhh

hopefully we add a centre half whose got a few goals in him and someone who can deliver a good ball in

We don't deliver them well and we don't attack them well, as for free kicks - Ughhhhhh

hopefully we add a centre half whose got a few goals in him and someone who can deliver a good ball in

What's happened to Mori's goals?

Is he not encouraged to make an impact up there anymore?

We don't deliver the best balls in the box but we aren't atrocious at it. Rom is a poor header and doesn't like to do it. The only one good at attacking free kicks is Mori but then you have to play Mori, plus because there is no one else to fear Mori gets marked by the oppositions best defender.

It's a situation that is inevitable when you have the best goal scorer in the country in your team, one way or the other the situation will be addressed in the summer but this is yet another topic designed to look for an angle, obvious, subjective and flawed.

Liverpool were the same with Suarez but providing them only is invested right that 1 lost player can be replaced with 2-3 others who can contribute.

No doubt Rom is our best player but if he wants to go let him go, lost better players than him in our history and went on to win things. The key is investing wisely personally would rather spend 70 million on one top quality replacement (Lacazette/Belloti/Icardi and whatever cash left bring in a potential signing ie a dembele/Batshuyai

I think that's disrespectful to the other ten fellas I saw running around yesterday.

I think it's probably more to do with who signed Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back