Are we a one man team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An accusation against this side (and it is a cause for concern as far as I'm concerned) is that we rely too heavily on one player - a player on the verge of leaving if a massive change of heart isn't found between now and the summer transfer window.

I, and others, take the view that the barb "Lukaku + luggage" is dangerously near the truth. Many others take the view that we aren't as reliant on him as we think (and it's fair to say the Liverpool Echo in all its idiocy has been trying over the last fortnight to run insanely down a road that portrays him as not the be all and end all of Koeman's Everton team...who can forget the bizarre 'Everton and CL football without Lukaku's goals" numb-nuts piece last week?!)

But what are the facts?

Below I set out the measure of 'one man team' as far as an attacker is concerned by measuring the only two factors worth a good God damn: goals and assist. The findings are shocking, and they firmly underline the extent to which we are imbalanced as a football team and ill-equipped to progress without Lukaku.

Using the top 7 teams who have a small points gap on West Brom, and who are a cut above the rest of the PL at the moment, here are the stats for star players and their value to their teams.

Goals / assists as a % of key involvement in total number of PL goals scored by club - 2016/17.

Lukaku
21 / 6
53%

Ibrahimovic
15 / 4
48%

Sanchez
18 / 9
44%

Kane
18 / 4
41%

Costa
17 / 5
39%

Mane
12 / 5
28%

Aguero
12 / 0
23%

...and the same metric applied to the next best performers at each of the top 7 clubs:

Alli
13 / 3
30%

Eriksen
5 / 10
28%

Hazard
11 / 4
25%

De Bruyne
4 / 9
25%

Pedro
7 / 7
24%

Lallana
7 /7
23%

Firminho
9 / 4
22%

Barkley
4 / 7
21%

Ozil
5 / 4
16%

From that we can appreciate just how much of an overbalance there is in our team in terms of overall impact spread across it.

Two related observations jump out:

1/ Obviously Lukaku's colossal input into the season has us where we are right now.
2/ The greater depth of significant contribution from 'secondary' players at our rivals is startling.

I dont know whether it's the way we are set up to play in terms of committing less bodies to attack this season, or whether outside of Lukaku are players just aren't confident enough to get up the field and score on a regular basis or a combination of both, but something is very much out of whack in terms of balance, and with the summer looming it is a feature of this team that needs sorting out asap because it is no basis whatsoever for progress.

Thoughts?
In terms of goals scored Our fullbacks goals have earned us more points this season than Rom, he is eminently replaceable. He has not scored a meaningful goal (i.e. One that has affected the end result) all season against any of the top ten teams in the table if you except Man Ciry which I do cos their defence is an embarrassment. Chelsea are going to get the shock of their young lives if they give us 80m and swap him for Costa. And this propensity of his to disappear against the big teams is by no means something which has cropped up just this year.

An accusation against this side (and it is a cause for concern as far as I'm concerned) is that we rely too heavily on one player - a player on the verge of leaving if a massive change of heart isn't found between now and the summer transfer window.

I, and others, take the view that the barb "Lukaku + luggage" is dangerously near the truth. Many others take the view that we aren't as reliant on him as we think (and it's fair to say the Liverpool Echo in all its idiocy has been trying over the last fortnight to run insanely down a road that portrays him as not the be all and end all of Koeman's Everton team...who can forget the bizarre 'Everton and CL football without Lukaku's goals" numb-nuts piece last week?!)

But what are the facts?

Below I set out the measure of 'one man team' as far as an attacker is concerned by measuring the only two factors worth a good God damn: goals and assist. The findings are shocking, and they firmly underline the extent to which we are imbalanced as a football team and ill-equipped to progress without Lukaku.

Using the top 7 teams who have a small points gap on West Brom, and who are a cut above the rest of the PL at the moment, here are the stats for star players and their value to their teams.

Goals / assists as a % of key involvement in total number of PL goals scored by club - 2016/17.

Lukaku
21 / 6
53%

Ibrahimovic
15 / 4
48%

Sanchez
18 / 9
44%

Kane
18 / 4
41%

Costa
17 / 5
39%

Mane
12 / 5
28%

Aguero
12 / 0
23%

...and the same metric applied to the next best performers at each of the top 7 clubs:

Alli
13 / 3
30%

Eriksen
5 / 10
28%

Hazard
11 / 4
25%

De Bruyne
4 / 9
25%

Pedro
7 / 7
24%

Lallana
7 /7
23%

Firminho
9 / 4
22%

Barkley
4 / 7
21%

Ozil
5 / 4
16%

From that we can appreciate just how much of an overbalance there is in our team in terms of overall impact spread across it.

1/ Obviously Lukaku's colossal input into the season has us where we are right now.
2/ The greater depth of significant contribution from 'secondary' players at our rivals is startling.

I dont know whether it's the way we are set up to play in terms of committing less bodies to attack this season, or whether outside of Lukaku are players just aren't confident enough to get up the field and score on a regular basis or a combination of both, but something is very much out of whack in terms of balance, and with the summer looming it is a feature of this team that needs sorting out asap because it is no basis whatsoever for progress.

Thoughts?
No

Maybe a crude way of proving otherwise, but how often has he been our man of the match this season? I realise it's different depending on where you look, but I'd be fairly confident Barkley and Gueye are ahead of him with Davies in and around him too

Yes its a problem. We have no there consistent or even semi consistent scorers- infact our defenders are more likely to score than are non-lukaku midfielders (Funes more with his head or coleman).

Haven't we had 15 different scorers in the league this season? No doubt Lukaku gets most of them but not sure we are a one man team. I like the look of DCL, did well before his injury and has come back with a bang.

Yearh because rom is in goal then kicks it to himself then runs all the way up beating 10 players then the goaly 11 and scores. Ffs
Sorry mate, did you not read this part in the OP?...

"Below I set out the measure of 'one man team' as far as an attacker is concerned"

I'll highlight that again will I?

"Below I set out the measure of 'one man team' as far as an attacker is concerned"

But what are the facts?

Lukaku
21 / 6
53%

Ibrahimovic
15 / 4
48%

Sanchez
18 / 9
44%

Kane
18 / 4
41%

Costa
17 / 5
39%

Mane
12 / 5
28%

Aguero
12 / 0
23%

Alli
13 / 3
30%

Eriksen
5 / 10
28%

Hazard
11 / 4
25%

De Bruyne
4 / 9
25%

Pedro
7 / 7
24%

Lallana
7 /7
23%

Firminho
9 / 4
22%

Barkley
4 / 7
21%

Ozil
5 / 4
16%

Thoughts?
I agree Dave he saved us from being relegated the last 2 seasons but this season we are different, we are playing better, harder to score against, create more which in turn has helped Lukaku get more goals, but to say it's down to Lukaku rather than give Koeman any credit for this is nonsense. Let it go Dave, Roberto isn't here now and we are much improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back