Are we a one man team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLTableTopGoalscorers-2-1.jpg

What madness is this?

Who actually sits down and dreams up this type of meaningless alternative league table?

I would love to see a league table based only on goals scored by fellows taller than 6' 3".

I bet Manchester City would be in the relegation zone :oops:

But I am sure they would still find a way to have the RS on top.

No other top end PL club is over-exposed to one player than we are.

First of all I'd say Arsenal without Sanchez would look very exposed.

Also, just playing devil's advocate, and feel free to contest my quick analysis, but it looks like we'd drop more points this season by removing Coleman's goals than we would Rom's?

Arguably quite a few of Rom's goals haven't been point deciding (on paper of course). The argument about unique goal scorer is definitely valid here.

First of all I'd say Arsenal without Sanchez would look very exposed.

Also, just playing devil's advocate, and feel free to contest my quick analysis, but it looks like we'd drop more points this season by removing Coleman's goals than we would Rom's?

Arguably quite a few of Rom's goals haven't been point deciding (on paper of course). The argument about unique goal scorer is definitely valid here.

I dont buy this argument. What is the value of a goal that puts us two up? I;d say it wins the points every bit as much as the first because it places the issue beyond doubt and allows a team to relax and play their game in a nerveless fashion.

These are specious arguments.

I've seen the Echo telling us this very thing yesterday, and last week they told us that he would be a liability if all top scorers from each team were taken out and that it would lead to Everton having a CL spot.

WTF is going on when 21 goals is seen as the problem when the only problem there is is down to having no one in the team ready to fill the void when we replace him?

WTF is going on when 21 goals is seen as the problem when the only problem there is is down to having no one in the team ready to fill the void when we replace him?

Hang on, you've been arguing that his goals highlight a different supposed issue, that our game is focused on him others haven't contributed their fair share due to the tactics employed.

we are imbalanced to the point of instability

Hang on, you've been arguing that his goals highlight a different supposed issue, that our game is focused on him others haven't contributed their fair share due to the tactics employed.

we are imbalanced to the point of instability
There's no 'hang on' about it. I'm being entirely consistent.

The problem is the instability caused by the parsimonious contributions from others behind Lukaku in the attack. Did I not make that plain on umpteen occassions?

I dont buy this argument. What is the value of a goal that puts us two up? I;d say it wins the points every bit as much as the first because it places the issue beyond doubt and allows a team to relax and play their game in a nerveless fashion.

These are specious arguments.

I've seen the Echo telling us this very thing yesterday, and last week they told us that he would be a liability if all top scorers from each team were taken out and that it would lead to Everton having a CL spot.

Indeed, I very purposely included "(on paper)" in my comment!

His goals are certainly not a problem, surprised if anyone has said as much, however when thinking of the void; we have had some pretty high league position finishes in the last 10 years with some bang average strikers, so possibly no reason to panic yet.

There's no 'hang on' about it. I'm being entirely consistent.

The problem is the instability caused by the parsimonious contributions from others behind Lukaku in the attack. Did I not make that plain on umpteen occassions?
Consistent?

I think not.

You maintained that the low goal contributions from others was a direct result of the managers tactics and that it was therefore somehow a massive problem that we were maximising the opportunity of having a top drawer striker in the side.

11 different scorers - aside from Lukaku - in our last 6 homes games, suggests that there's goals in the side and the 'problem' is nothing of the sort, barring the bleeding obvious i.e. the day we have to replace him.

The thing about this thread is that it's dishonest - dishonest in the sense that it's apparently a cause for concern that we should be pulling our hair out at possibly losing Lukaku - but the undercurrent to it is really a swipe at the current manager who isn't letting the team express themselves or have enough confidence to press forward and also score lots of goals in the same way our previous manager did for a whole season.

Its just another cheap shot at the end of the day.

Consistent?

I think not.

You maintained that the low goal contributions from others was a direct result of the managers tactics and that it was therefore somehow a massive problem that we were maximising the opportunity of having a top drawer striker in the side.

11 different scorers - aside from Lukaku - in our last 6 homes games, suggests that there's goals in the side and the 'problem' is nothing of the sort, barring the bleeding obvious i.e. the day we have to replace him.
I stated that this manager has accelerated a process put in place by Martinez to almost exclusively service Lukaku. My point is that we've reached a point where there will be qualitative change soon whereby without Lukaku we'll have to restructure the whole team and its attack again...quantitative change has begat qualitative change...like when a frog sits in a pan of water that's cold to begin but heats up to such a dangerous extent it doesn't realise its being boiled.

The only team in the league with 15 goal scorers, and we have someone making posts about us being unbalanced...Oh wait, its Davek, never mind. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back