Are we at the stage where we consider a mass rebuild in the next 7 days or not? Stick or twist?

That’s the question mate, it’s a gamble either way but if you were in charge, would it be a gamble you went for or not?
The only gamble we should entertain right now in the light of the abandonment of the club by the owner is to sit tight, let Dyche get on with what he's good at: getting clubs to 17th, and waiting out the ownership storm.

….players in their last year could be willing to leave on loan only.
True.

Theres definitely a situation where we agree fees for several of those and they refuse to go unless we contribute to their wages to top them up to where they have been with us.

The only gamble we should entertain right now in the light of the abandonment of the club by the owner is to sit tight, let Dyche get on with what he's good at: getting clubs to 17th, and waiting out the ownership storm.
I was leaning that way myself personally but it’s definitely a debate the club should be having internally because only they know the players out there that they could sign if they just had cash in the bank to spend.

Our big issue now doesn’t seem to be PSR it’s cash flow.

I was leaning that way myself personally but it’s definitely a debate the club should be having internally because only they know the players out there that they could sign if they just had cash in the bank to spend.

Our big issue now doesn’t seem to be PSR it’s cash flow.
I don't think there is an "internal debate" at the club because all of the chairs are empty...

Be no mass rebuild this season what is clear is that we need to have one in the next summer window with more players gone

Given we'll sell Branthwaite next summer at the latest you have to think, then him, McNeil, Beto, Mykolenko

I'd get rid of those, actually fund some incomings if the ownership mess is cleared up by then.

Yes I can definitely see us suddenly being able to sell the players we’ve been trying to offload for years and changing half of the first team in the next 7 days.

Because that definitely happens in real life.

Lad we can deffo get £5m for Michael Keane, a 32 year old disasterclass of a centre half who leaks 3+ goals every time he’s on the pitch and is in the last year of his contract. There’s deffo a club out there who are that desperate lad (there is not)

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
I think we might just be able to make it happen, provided we do it as a montage with “Eye of the Tiger” playing.

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
Total Transfer Fees: £105m

Total Wages saved this season: £24.336m

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?
I appreciate the sentiment and the time you've put in but in the case of Keane and Holgate, rather than on the back of a fag packet was the calculation that we might get a fee for them done on the back of a bag of weed?👍

Jesus Christ, can't you all just chill out a bit? We faced a very good Brighton side who actually know what they're doing as a club and a strong Tottenham team, both whilst playing that Muppet Keane at the back. The fact that threads are being made about drastic rebuilds after two tough games with a crap CB shows you that 24 hour sports journalism is a curse

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back