Are we at the stage where we consider a mass rebuild in the next 7 days or not? Stick or twist?

The only feasible and practical route is selling DCL and funds received there would be pretty modest. At this stage it's probably a risk worth taking. We'd have to get a replacement for him and get one or two in on loan. Taking all in the round that would amount to a fairly big churn since the summer.

If there is a few pennies left, we have to get at least one more loan in.

The only feasible and practical route is selling DCL and funds received there would be pretty modest. At this stage it's probably a risk worth taking. We'd have to get a replacement for him and get one or two in on loan. Taking all in the round that would amount to a fairly big churn since the summer.

If there is a few pennies left, we have to get at least one more loan in.
Not that I agree with it but the way our current ownership thinks I reckon if we get rid of DCL they'll be looking forward to us making do with what we've got either that or an overpriced, washed up 35 yo, we are Everton.

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
Total Transfer Fees: £105m

Total Wages saved this season: £24.336m

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?

@Zatara this ones for you

The problem we have now is that it is so late in the day for sales and signings.

What I would do is sell from a list of:
DCL / Beto
Maupay
Keane / Holgate
Doucoure

So, 4 players out and then put the money into a single pot to bring in one quick player who can score goals. A talisman.

Given we'll sell Branthwaite next summer at the latest you have to think, then him, McNeil, Beto, Mykolenko

I'd get rid of those, actually fund some incomings if the ownership mess is cleared up by then.
Not even that when you think coleman young keane holgate dcl virgina maupay gana doucoure harrison I kno some could be gone by this window but is crazy thr turnover of this squad last few seasons. We really do have to do business next summer to get players in on free transfers loans ect

Not even that when you think coleman young keane holgate dcl virgina maupay gana doucoure harrison I kno some could be gone by this window but is crazy thr turnover of this squad last few seasons. We really do have to do business next summer to get players in on free transfers loans ect

Yup, thank God that we have two young lads who look like they are able to step up to reduce somewhat the needs we have, both Dixon and Armstrong look like they can become members of the first team squad this season.

Still think if we can still all do so by offloading Maupay, Holgate and Keane we need to try to get deals over the line for all three of Bove, Ebimbe and Omeragic, total outlay would about 35m, try to sort a similar deal to Lindstrom for Bove or Ebimbe, buy the other and hope the sides are ok with low up front payments.

If we sell DCL either but Abraham or see if Spurs will loan Richy for a season.

Since when was Branthwaite regarded as surplus to requirements?
I don’t think the poster is saying that…he’s looking at him as a money spinner which allows us a rebuild of the team to make the team generally stronger. Personally, do enough this season, to maintain or improve positions if we can. Get the ownership sorted, commerce due diligence on new manager and sell JB next season, using money from that to build a stronger team under a DoF/Coahch who are aligned and know how to use new recruits more effectively.

The problem we have now is that it is so late in the day for sales and signings.

What I would do is sell from a list of:
DCL / Beto
Maupay
Keane / Holgate
Doucoure

So, 4 players out and then put the money into a single pot to bring in one quick player who can score goals. A talisman.
That would be madness to deplete an already thin squad by selling four and only bringing one in.

If we adopt any model it has to be that we sell one and buy two on low fees and lesser wages.

Bearing in mind Moshiri paid over the odds for fees and wages early on, it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve while still improving us.

Who would pay money for dcl
Seriously his injury record and his recent performances?

He’s free next year to anyone no way he is gonna get us a fee or a decent one

That would be madness to deplete an already thin squad by selling four and only bringing one in.

If we adopt any model it has to be that we sell one and buy two on low fees and lesser wages.

Bearing in mind Moshiri paid over the odds for fees and wages early on, it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve while still improving us.

You think it would be "madness" to sell:

DCL
Maupay
Doucoure
Holgate

Id say madness to not.

Lad we can deffo get £5m for Michael Keane, a 32 year old disasterclass of a centre half who leaks 3+ goals every time he’s on the pitch and is in the last year of his contract. There’s deffo a club out there who are that desperate lad (there is not)
He doesn’t leak 3 plus goals every time he is on the pitch though does he.

He is an England international who can play a particular system much like Harry Maguire.

Is he a top class CB no. Is he a PL defender for a lower half team at wages befitting that? Yes.

Our problem is that we have him on wages which resemble a CL defender when he is closer to a championship defender than CL

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back