Are we at the stage where we consider a mass rebuild in the next 7 days or not? Stick or twist?

Or Maupay or Patterson or Beto or McNeil. Seven God awful football players draining millions from the club on a monthly basis.
Beto we could sell back to Italy if we wanted mate, we'd have to be willing to take a hit on the fee we paid though.

Patterson similarly we'd be able to sell if we took a hit.

Maupay will be gone permanently by Friday.

McNeil - if we wanted to sell him and again willing to take a loss on what we paid we could do.

McNeil, Patterson especially are on really low wages which instantly removes one of our problems with shifting a lot of players on in the past (we are trying to sell to teams simply put that don't be paying north of 70k for castoffs but would if they're only on 25-35k)

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
Total Transfer Fees: £105m

Total Wages saved this season: £24.336m

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?
Very Zatlike in its content but you forgot one major sticking point
There has to be buyers who will pay the wages for these players
As of now there does not seem to be any

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
Total Transfer Fees: £105m

Total Wages saved this season: £24.336m

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?
That's not a rebuild. Except for Branthwaite, that's just getting rid of middling/poor players who won't attract those fees you listed, perhaps DCL will.

A rebuild starts with the manager and probably includes Pickford and anyone else over 26 years of age.

This thread is bizarre.

No we absolutely should NOT be selling Branthwaite this year. Look at the carnage Michael Keane causes every time he pulls on a blue shirt - we need Tarkowski, Branthwaite and O'Brien fit and healthy all season, they're the top 3 centre backs at the club and Keane is MILES away.

By that same rationale, we should absolutely sell Keane if anyone shows any interest. But no-one will show any interest because he's utterly, utterly abysmal. His couple of England caps 4? 5? years ago don't mean he isn't garbage. There's a WORLD of difference between being a former international player and being a current international player.

Maupay - obviously sell if anyone comes in for him.

Doucoure - tough one. On the one hand, his departure leaves us pretty short at 10
Him a 10? Give over, Bo Derek is still a better10 than him at...allegedly...67
. On the other hand he's not getting younger and he's on BIG money.

Holgate - would rather keep him than Keane.

DCL - sell him or sign him. Either way do it now.

Beto - entirely depends on DCL. One stays, the other goes.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back