Are you worried?

Are you concerned heading into the new season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves on first day of the season just became really important. They have all the momentum and belief of a newly promoted team, they have bought well and have a very good manager.

If we lose to Wolves (and I fear we will) then any last dregs of confidence and hope will start to fall away.

Unless we get Digne plus another 2 cbs and a cm, preferably another striker too, then we are in for a rude awakening at the start of the season.

All I ask for of Everton this season is to see a long term plan, and to enjoy going to Goodison again.

Here here mate.

Some of the comments on here are quite extraordinary and people who say our team looks like a lower half championship side need to get a grip. It is a positive that we all appear to be aspiring to becoming a top 6 Prem challenger, and to be sure, the quality in our squad right now is not anywhere near that level. But think about the teams / squads put out last year by Southampton, Brighton, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford etc. Would you look at them and say we are worse, player for player? We couldn't name 90% of their team - well I couldn't any rate! We do have many very good quality players, who have not being playing anywhere near their potential. We certainly need more quality, but it's down to the manager to get them playing both as individuals and collectively to the level that maximises their potential.

Rocket Ron and BFS generally failed to do that, and most people will understand why. We now have a new manager with different ideas. It's a risk, and it will need time AND more quality, but ffs saying our squad is lower half championship level?

Come on lids.

Naismith was a decent footballer. Niase cannot do basics, like trap a ball!
Niasse doesn't need to be a decent footballer, he needs to score goals.

And that's what he does. I don't know how he does it, but he does. And he also gives us energy when needed. Look, I'm not saying he should be anywhere near our starting XI, but as an impact sub, absolutely

Niasse doesn't need to be a decent footballer, he needs to score goals.

And that's what he does. I don't know how he does it, but he does. And he also gives us energy when needed. Look, I'm not saying he should be anywhere near our starting XI, but as an impact sub, absolutely
Yup. He scores goals. Does he look pretty doing it? Nope. But he scores goals. Move on.

I'd love some elite striker, but we are fine for now and have 4 or 5 other positions we need to upgrade before that one.

I'm a bit worried, but then I remember the season we sold Rooney and lost 1-4 to Arsenal in the opening game. We went 4th...

Wolves on first day of the season just became really important. They have all the momentum and belief of a newly promoted team, they have bought well and have a very good manager.

If we lose to Wolves (and I fear we will) then any last dregs of confidence and hope will start to fall away.

Unless we get Digne plus another 2 cbs and a cm, preferably another striker too, then we are in for a rude awakening at the start of the season.
I think most are expecting a... how shall I put it?...a 'not auspicious' start to the campaign vs Wolves. Of course things might change if we get a couple of decent defenders in, but, in the absence of that, I do not harbour much optimism.

We're behind schedule, and we're got a lot of dead wood. It is worrying.

But this mess will take 2 or 3 windows to sort out, so all I'm looking for is a bit of solidity and a decent foundation. Not expecting much this season, and anyone that is is living in a wonderland.

Why didn't we just stick with Allardyce then? He can provide solidity and a foundation. Seems like Brands and Silva have the same problem of finding suitable players just like Walsh and Sam had.

I'm not advocating Allardyve for the job, just putting up a question to your solution.

Why didn't we just stick with Allardyce then? He can provide solidity and a foundation. Seems like Brands and Silva have the same problem of finding suitable players just like Walsh and Sam had.

I'm not advocating Allardyve for the job, just putting up a question to your solution.

Because that would be standing still, not providing solidity and a foundation. His brand of anti-football makes you stagnate and won't get you anywhere. If I see us trying to play actual football but losing sometimes, I'll take that over anti-football and losing slightly less. It's like welfare cuts in the short-term which end up costing more in the long-term. I'll take the long-term option which may see us take a step back to take a step forward.

Honestly lads, a CB and a LB of first 11 quality is all we need for now.

The midfield can be addressed in Jan or next summer.

I’ll only be worried if we don’t bring in a CB and a LB.

Serious question... where and who are our goals coming from ?

Tosun hasn’t proven himself to be a prolific scorer in husband short time here but he hasn’t netted a few times in only a few appearances.

Niasse goals/mins ratio is decent, not sure about him starting but can always bag one off the bench.

We also have the likes of Walcott and Sigurdsson who are proven to chip in a fair few goals from midfield at this level.

Not saying we’re gonna be banging goals in, but we have enough for now imo.

Tosun hasn’t proven himself to be a prolific scorer in husband short time here but he hasn’t netted a few times in only a few appearances.

Niasse goals/mins ratio is decent, not sure about him starting but can always bag one off the bench.

We also have the likes of Walcott and Sigurdsson who are proven to chip in a fair few goals from midfield at this level.

Not saying we’re gonna be banging goals in, but we have enough for now imo.

As you say mate, Niasse isn't really a gimme for the starting eleven and Cenk doesn't look to be a prolific scorer (yet?).

Therefore it's gonna be really important test the likes of Walcott and Sigurdsson step up and score at least 8-10 each.

We really are going to have to have as many players as possible weighing in as with no recognised and prolific goal threat up front, it really is going to have to be a team effort.

Presuming Digne does sign over the next few days then I think the following areas of our first XI still need to be addressed:

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane Digne
Morgan
Gana Sigurdsson
Walcott Tosun Richarlison
Keane has an awful lot to prove and Holgate is still young. Morgan also needs to show his Jan - May 2017 form, rather than slip back in to how he played most of last season.

Reactions: Tak

Status
Not open for further replies.