Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Confirmed Signing Armando Broja

A crafty deal considering our circumstances but when you think he prob wont play till mid November( im guessing) then im not so excited.

Depends on the standard of striker you have, the clubs you mention have top class forward, or ones that score goals, we haven't had that since Lukaku and before that thd Yak. Our present ones are injury prone, or in Beto's case just not good enough yet.

Well I think that's the point, we aren't with this deal.

DCL is out of contract, we only need to go back a few months to when Chemiti was playing over Beto. We have numbers there, not quality or stability.

We bring this guy in with no up front commitment, we don't pay until he plays, he's on a tryout for a few months and then we decide.

For as broke as we are, I don't see how the deal could be any better.

As far as him as a player, I'm not convinced he's really a striker, at least not one who plays up top by himself. To me he seems more like a wide forward in a 433, or a 2nd striker in a 442.
Yes, we are burning money.

If the options we had wasn't good enough, we should do what Napoli did with Lindstrøm, Marseille did with Ndiaye and Chelsea are doing with Broja. Cut the losses. Get rid.

We massively overpaid for Beto last season. We'd be lucky if we get half back this summer. If he doesn't play more this season, he has hardly any value left next summer.

I like Chermiti. I like the transfer. I think he always should start ahead of Beto. But we can't continue to waste money on young talent without giving them minutes.

We have four strikers that will end up playing less than 4000 minutes league football this season. Two or three of them will suffer from not playing enough football this season. When players don't play, their market value drop as a stone.

Chelsea loan us Broja hoping that regular playing time can add millions to his value. For every million that is added to Broja's value a similar amount is taken off the market value of Beto and Chermiti.

Continue to do the opposite as every successful well run club. Because that have worked out so well.
Considering there was likely nothing else going to happen re. incomings yesterday it's not a bad deal. Not a lot to lose. Not super great, but at least some extra competition into the season. Not saying its the perfect situation but under the circumstances prob best we could do.

Out of interest what would you like to see happen/bring in/sell?

I know there hasn’t been much forward planning at the club but that doesn’t mean me need to be fearful and suspicious when it occurs!

DCL won’t be here next season and we’d happily sell come Jan if possible.
DCL got contract offers at the end of a couple of seasons were he have been troubled by injuries and playing for an ultra defensive manager that makes most offensive players look like dross.

If he gets back to form, stays fit and/or Everton replace Dyche, I expect him to sign a new contract.

It feels more likely that Everton start next season with DCL up top than Broja.

Or someone with a very limited list of players he can/will go for.

Don't think so mate.

Just looking at this season, Minteh the Prighones he tried for early on, moved on to Gnoto (last year's first choice only after losing out in those two), believe he was interested in Ebimbe (reckon he's one of the Dyche vetoes) and lastly tried at the death to get a deal over the line for the Lyon lad.

That's 4/5 in the same position that we know about from genuinely reliable sources, guessing but likely a few weeks never even caught wind of as they went nowhere fast (both Ndiaye and Lindstrom said they'd had previous interest from us which never made it into the press etc).

I do think he has a type of player he wants and if he can't get him then he's not gonna throw out the type to just get a body in either though. We didn't sign a winger he wanted be sure we failed on all the guys with genuine pace which all the ones listed above have, I'd rather he didn't in that situation bring in a player on the right just so he could say he sorted the position out, and that player lacked what he wanted.

All you can say is Dyche is probably the sort of manager he needs. Quite no nonsense, won't cut him much slack. I think he's been pandered too a bit, and it's time to probably either sink or swim for him.

I don't love the signing at all, but it's a loan with no real risk for us. I do wonder if something gets done for DCL in January, and maybe even Brainthwaite this summer.

Neither JB or DCL will be here next summer, would either end up at Chelsea, dunno mate, Chelsea are frankly a mental club.

For me it's more about the profile we need, one that can fill all attacking positions and adds pace. So Fofana was rather what we needed.

Forfana for me would have been a bad mistake mate, guy fell out with two managers last season - in Berlin and at Burnley. First led to the early recall in January from his loan to Germany Alarm bells ringing on that.

Yes, we are burning money.

If the options we had wasn't good enough, we should do what Napoli did with Lindstrøm, Marseille did with Ndiaye and Chelsea are doing with Broja. Cut the losses. Get rid.

We massively overpaid for Beto last season. We'd be lucky if we get half back this summer. If he doesn't play more this season, he has hardly any value left next summer.

I like Chermiti. I like the transfer. I think he always should start ahead of Beto. But we can't continue to waste money on young talent without giving them minutes.

We have four strikers that will end up playing less than 4000 minutes league football this season. Two or three of them will suffer from not playing enough football this season. When players don't play, their market value drop as a stone.

Chelsea loan us Broja hoping that regular playing time can add millions to his value. For every million that is added to Broja's value a similar amount is taken off the market value of Beto and Chermiti.

Those are sins of the past, sunk costs. Nothing to do with Broja. Broja's market value has been set, it's 30 million. If he does well and it turns out it's more than that, we have a cap on what we pay. If he doesn't, he goes back to Chelsea.

If Broja is better than Beto and Chermiti, you play Broja. You don't play the other two to keep their market value.

We have 4 strikers, at least two that are not likely to be here next season or even in January (DCL and Beto). Even Broja we don't have secured for next year.

Look at the players we have under contract for next season. We could barely field a starting 11.

It’s more about the player himself rather than any deal structure. Injury prone and his goal/assist record.

It also raises a question as to why we are given such a generous offer, was this similar to the Ipswich deal?

Call it moaning all you like, I don’t see why it’s wrong to be not so enamoured with this signing.
Not sure why Ipswich weren't happy with the deal if those were the terms. Likely would've had some sort of obligation in it if they were to stay up this season that Chelsea were insisting on that somehow wasn't a factor with us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back