Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Arouna Kone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need six million.

Burnley-v-Leicester.jpg
This is very true, but arguably an exception is Mr Vary. Yet Norwich spunked 8 million on Naismith. The bar has been set for average forwards....

It's £14m total with zero return at the end. Deals aren't just one dimensional, especially when you bring in a player who is at best going to sit on the bench.

Yes he's scored goals post the previous injury which is exactly the point, he was jarg before his injury at Everton and was a little better but still poor after his injury. It isn't his injury that scuppered his Everton career it's the fact he's crap.

That's an easy argument to make in retrospect. Any player costs wages and so forth (I assume that's where your 14 million sum comes from), so no matter the up front cost they're always a gamble. He was still relatively cheap - see spurs and soldado. Add his wages to a far bigger fee and it's an even worse deal. Plus I dispute he was crap pre-injury. He'd done OK at Wigan and had a majorly disrupted pre-season with us due to Ramadan and fasting.

He gets serious grief but I'll give Kone far more leeway than the likes of van der meyde and Drenthe who were just piss pots

i don't get the 'he tries' shout, he literally jogs on like a half arsed mum turning up at the asda for late night shopping, and plays every game like it's a training one.

That's an easy argument to make in retrospect. Any player costs wages and so forth (I assume that's where your 14 million sum comes from), so no matter the up front cost they're always a gamble. He was still relatively cheap - see spurs and soldado. Add his wages to a far bigger fee and it's an even worse deal. Plus I dispute he was crap pre-injury. He'd done OK at Wigan and had a majorly disrupted pre-season with us due to Ramadan and fasting.

He gets serious grief but I'll give Kone far more leeway than the likes of van der meyde and Drenthe who were just piss pots

You realise that all muslims would be fasting for ramadan dont you? Not just Kone so its not really an "excuse" for him as im sure hes done it his entire career and we dont hear theae "excuses" for others, i assumed people were using it as more of a joke on here.

also he was pretty bad before he joined us as i posted at the time of signing...i was amazed we wasted £6mil on him and was pretty furious.

He's not up to standard, earlier in the season you could say we was alright in possession and holding the ball up but he's even crap at that now. He isn't a natural goalscorer, doesn't pass particularly well, doesn't track back, what does he actually offer?

I know it's the natural reaction from some sections of fans to put the boot in when a player is suffering but really what's the point in all this.
I doubt anyone thought we were getting the finished article with Kone and clearly with his confidence this low it's hard to suggest he should be starting. And he's not.
But he's not a terrible footballer who deserves some of the pretty nasty abuse he's getting. He's done well and sometimes very well at some decent European clubs and in a decent international side. May not mean he was a good signing for us but plenty of people who had watched him properly felt his intelligent movement and touch in key areas could add something to our squad.
There were signs that they were right earlier in the season but you could also sense he was one poor performance away from being slaughtered by sections of the crowd.
I'm not going to speculate on why some fans need a player to hate or how they select them, but we need a strong squad and we can either get behind players who aren't exactly what we want or pretend they're a lot worse than they are.
Maybe I'm better asking my shrink what this is all about.
This isn't aimed at anyone with rational reasons to think he's not good enough for us so please no nonsense about not accepting other people's views.

This is very true, but arguably an exception is Mr Vary. Yet Norwich spunked 8 million on Naismith. The bar has been set for average forwards....
Naismith is younger and a more proven prem goalscorer. Norwich will see a return on their investment.

More to the point, we got Naismith on a free and have, over the long term, replaced him with someone older and less talented AND paid a £6m fee to do so.

I think that injury he had has finished him as anything other than a squad player,playing on the left dosnt help him either should be in the middle or not at all.
I'm starting to think Rom may be better playing less centrally at times so at least needs to have someone playing alongside him who can switch.

might help , rather than have two or three around him constantly in the middle, wouldnt mind seeing if Del could do a job floating around him more central
I'd love to see Del get more freedom in that kind of role. Would help Ross as well probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back