Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Arouna Kone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe - as an admin member - you'd put words in my mouth like that mate. Whilst your other mate is basically calling me racist which is extremely unwarranted and making me out to look like something i'm not. Just about done with this forum, keyboard warriors, very disappointing..

Mate, I apologise unreservedly, I just checked on our search and I mistakenly attributed that comment to you when in fact it was someone else quoting one of your comments.

I hope you can accept my apology.

I'm arguing exactly what @orly just said.

Lukaku plays better as part of a front two. Kone is the best option in the club presently to play that support role alongside Lukaku. Modern defences, as we know more than most, have difficulty in adapting to two central attackers as it leaves the two central defenders in a one on one situation. For years with teams playing 4-5-1, being a central defender was relatively easy. One went tight to the sole attacker and the other dropped off as cover. You can't do that when you have two central attackers (classic case was Leicester's second goal where in the build up to the penalty Stones, good as he is, was left one on one with Vardy who just drifted behind him). Whilst Everton do not operate Lukaku and Kone in exactly the same way, Kone's presence gives Lukaku more space and stops central defenders from covering the other when he is in possession.

I'd prefer an alternative partner to Lukaku, but Kone is the best option in the club, and if his contribution is to make like easier for Lukaku then so be it.

Interesting that Keown and Neville on MOTD2 both making exactly the same point about playing against 2 up front.......

Can't believe - as an admin member - you'd put words in my mouth like that mate. Whilst your other mate is basically calling me racist which is extremely unwarranted and making me out to look like something i'm not. Just about done with this forum, keyboard warriors, very disappointing..

Your user name is a bit un-pc like ;) anyway, Kone is not the reason we are getting beat but his last three or four performances have been pretty abysmal and he does deserve to be dropped. He hasn't contributed at either end, seems to make the wrong decision everytime he's in possession and never shoots. Kone is useful in game were we have less possession and we need someone to hold the ball up. The last few games we have dominated possession and need someone to put the ball in the net. Naismith and Mirallas are much more effective in this regard. Naismith also adds a certain bite and nastiness that has been missing to our play.

I didnt mention race?!?!

@Darkhorse

Im the one who posted that Kone was "The African Naismith/McGeady" as hes absolutely useless (just like them) not sure why its a big deal to mention the continent hes from tbh, so many posts in the Funes Mori thread stating that hes South American...

Anyway, on topic...I agree 100% with @Darkhorse in terms of Kone. He is starting games and Lukaku is scoring, is he playing well, NO. Is he assisting goals or part of the play leading up to these goals, not recently...

He also is useless defensively and so DOES contribute to the poor defence as it leaves the left side exposed...

Cleverley is the far better option for me until we sign someone else there.

Why does his race matter mate?

Last edited:
With respect, without Lukaku's goals where would we be?

It's hardly Kone's fault that we have only picked up 10 points from our last 7 games despite scoring 18 goals in the process.

Kone had some really rather good chances in those games. Norwich especially. So it sort of is his fault. Not solely of course. But he's not blame free.

Kone had some really rather good chances in those games. Norwich especially. So it sort of is his fault. Not solely of course. But he's not blame free.

Strikers will always miss chances, my point is that Kone's contribution (and the results from that contribution) to Lukuka's effectiveness is greater than any realistic expectation of Kone's abilities as a regular goalscorer. Therefore his net contribution to the team, particularly during Lukaku's goal run is positive not negative.

We've dropped points in our last four games by an inability to keep clean sheets when dominating matches - that is down to a lack of defensive structure and individual errors.

Strikers will always miss chances, my point is that Kone's contribution (and the results from that contribution) to Lukuka's effectiveness is greater than any realistic expectation of Kone's abilities as a regular goalscorer. Therefore his net contribution to the team, particularly during Lukaku's goal run is positive not negative.

We've dropped points in our last four games by an inability to keep clean sheets when dominating matches - that is down to a lack of defensive structure and individual errors.

But it's quite clearly both. If we put away half the chances we created (Palace and Norwich especially) then the couple of defencive balls up would barely register.

I really don't see it as purely on the defence.

You say strikers will always miss chances. It's true. But defenders (especially young ones like ours) will always make a good few basic errors.

But Kone hasn't been contributing, he was poor against Bournemouth, Palace, Norwich and Leicester. None of the goals we conceded were necessarily his fault but the lack of momentum that we had in those games was his fault and when the momentum changes in a game then that's when you are more likely to concede goals. The best way to avoid conceding goals is to keep the oppo under continuous pressure by pinning them back in their own half through possession and harassing them whenever they have the ball. Kone played well against Sunderland and Villa but since then he has been very very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back