2018/19 Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't seem right last year. Looked geniunely shell-shocked when things went sour, and never really came back from it.

Hope he does well at Stoke, but he was atrocious for us and I'm glad he has gone.

Yep. The really disappointing thing for me was that the leadership and bravery he showed for Wales, especially in Euro 2016, was completely and utterly absent for Everton. Last season he not only shied away from being a leader, he completely shirked his most basic responsibilities as a defender.
In the euros he played through injury in the last game, prob cost him coming into the next season fully fit and lost all confidence. We never saw a decent version of him

His last season for Everton summed up in 2 images

Ashley-Williams-869172.jpg

JS145233937.jpg

An element of me is wondering why there is so much vitriol regarding him. He was brought in to do a short term job and by and large that has been done. We finished in a respectable position in his first season here and last season none of the team come out with any praise, as collectively front to back everyone contributed to our downfall, including a defender we paid 3x the amount for. However when BFS had a run of results it was Williams and Holgate that struck up a decent partnership and those points were crucial to our relatively comfortable end position. For whatever reason BFS started chopping and changing and our defences performance became worse and as a snowball effect each players confidence dropped, including Williams.

My position is he had to go, more based on age/salary/confidence and the fact we weren't using him in his best formation anyway. He was always better as a part of a back three with players who had some legs around him. But on here he is being beaten with the stick he did this silly thing and got sent off or that, which when Dunc used to do that it was 'least he cares and shows some passion'. As a rule I think it is troubling for our own supporters to get on the back of a player so much that boils into hatred if the player hasn't caused clear issues in the changing room (which to my knowledge he hasn't), this should be reserved for people who have like Mirallas or players who have screwed the club over like Barkley or Gosling etc.

That said I probably would have sacked him for his haircut anyway which is an abomination.

An element of me is wondering why there is so much vitriol regarding him. He was brought in to do a short term job and by and large that has been done. We finished in a respectable position in his first season here and last season none of the team come out with any praise, as collectively front to back everyone contributed to our downfall, including a defender we paid 3x the amount for. However when BFS had a run of results it was Williams and Holgate that struck up a decent partnership and those points were crucial to our relatively comfortable end position. For whatever reason BFS started chopping and changing and our defences performance became worse and as a snowball effect each players confidence dropped, including Williams.

My position is he had to go, more based on age/salary/confidence and the fact we weren't using him in his best formation anyway. He was always better as a part of a back three with players who had some legs around him. But on here he is being beaten with the stick he did this silly thing and got sent off or that, which when Dunc used to do that it was 'least he cares and shows some passion'. As a rule I think it is troubling for our own supporters to get on the back of a player so much that boils into hatred if the player hasn't caused clear issues in the changing room (which to my knowledge he hasn't), this should be reserved for people who have like Mirallas or players who have screwed the club over like Barkley or Gosling etc.

That said I probably would have sacked him for his haircut anyway which is an abomination.

Always seemed half-assed and arrogant in his time with us, which I could kind of accept if he was actually playing well. Seemed like he thought he had moved to the MLS or something and it was time to coast on his previously good rep.

He was shocking on many occasions even in that first season when people seemed to think our defensive unit got better when what they were actually seeing was the same mess but with much more cover from the players in front of them as we sat deeper for the dull tactics of our dull manager.

A slow crap hoof merchant that I am delighted to see the back of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back