Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's down to the system though.

Just like how United seem to cycle through a squad of world class centre backs, when in reality, its a bunch of limited centre backs who have had successive defensive managers.

We need at least 2 centre backs this summer. What's frightening, is that Jagielka looks the most deserving of another season as back up, and he is clearly past it.

It is down to a manager who has a clue of what defending means.

Williams cleared and put the ball to row z. Stones used to do this holloywood dribbling in our own penalty area.

We've not noticed the gradual drop in standards in the CB area. In 07/08 we had Jagielka and Lescott at their peak and were arguably after Vidic and Ferdinand the best partnership in the league. The fact that ten years later Jagielka is still our best CB despite losing all his pace is telling. We need a huge upgrade in this area. I know losing Stones was unavoidable because he didn't want to play for us but it's a massive downgrade from Stones to Williams.

We've not noticed the gradual drop in standards in the CB area. In 07/08 we had Jagielka and Lescott at their peak and were arguably after Vidic and Ferdinand the best partnership in the league. The fact that ten years later Jagielka is still our best CB despite losing all his pace is telling. We need a huge upgrade in this area. I know losing Stones was unavoidable because he didn't want to play for us but it's a massive downgrade from Stones to Williams.

Not for me. Stones can't defend. Williams on the other hand is a stop gap.

Williams getting frustrated yesterday and taking it out on Llorente with a swift bout of handbags

The Jacks sing -

"Shît Alfie Mawson
He's just a shît Alfie Mawson"

His £5M replacement whose a far better footballer

Last edited:
Williams getting frustrated yesterday and taking it out on Llorente with a swift bout of handbags

The Jacks sing -

"[Poor language removed] Alfie Mawson
He's just a [Poor language removed] Alfie Mawson"

Mind the language !!

The Jacks sing -

"Shît Alfie Mawson

1 game while our squad is on holiday mode. I want Hull to stay up so that they will buy Niasse.

I like him but his drop in form as the season has progressed has surprised me. Always seemed a reliable 8/10 every week kind of player.

He hasn't really dropped in form more than anybody else like?

Don't think he should be a guaranteed starter next season, though I've got a feeling he won't be anyway...

When you consider how bad we all think our defence and keepers are it is encouraging how much better we have been with virtually the same lot as were comedy gold under Martinez for a couple of seasons. Williams has been an upgrade on what we had, just not as big as we hoped and expected.

The Jacks sing -

"Shît Alfie Mawson

Classy.

The bloke was instrumental in getting you 2 promotions and then establishing you as a PL side, and gave 8 years of service to your club, it's hardly a coincidence that you've already conceded 17 goals more than you did in the entirety of last season....

I hope Hull manage to overturn the odds and send you lot down tbh.

I thought start of the season he was excellent and now he doesn't fill me with any confidence but neither do Jags or RFM.

I agree.

Though I think a lot of it has to do with balance.

Williams looked at his best this season imo when we played 3 at the back.

Mori one side and Holgate offering the pace and composure on the ball at the other.

In a 4, he's looked fine when he has Schneiderlin in front of him sweeping up, but without MS there in the last few games we've seen both Williams and Jags get exposed.

It's why bringing in a CB with pace is so key this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back