Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not understand when we signed SIG we did not send him back to his beloved swansea?????.....

...if only things were as simple as you suggest, Joey. For transfers to happen, 3 parties need to find agreement. I doubt Williams would want to take a wage cut and I doubt Swansea would be willing to match his current salary. Also, I doubt RK wanted him to go given FMs injury.

I can easily understand why that was never likely to be an option.

Have to put my hand up and say I got this badly wrong. When we signed Williams I said although Stones was a better player Williams was a better defender. In hindsight although Stones has been toilet at City Williams has not been any better. Just isn't good enough for us and what we are trying to achieve and should be fourth choice now behind Keane, Jags and Holgate. At some point Mason needs to be given a chance at centre half in a two at the back and I would give him a run after the Utd game. We should be looking to get rid of him and doing what we can to sort a top class replacement in January.

He's had a poor start to the season.

Played as the central defender in a back three he's usually very good though - needs pace around him.

Jags should've started Saturday but another failure in not adding a starting CB could cost us.

The board and (perhaps) Walsh have a lot to answer for in regards to that.

...there must be a reason why RK prefers Williams to Jagielka. I'd have thought with Keane's aerial dominance, Jagielka would be a better foil. It's strange that up until Spurs we looked quite solid defensively. I think it's easy to concentrate on the CBs, but on Saturday Martina in particular played very narrow allowing acres of space out wide. Also, the protection in front of the back four seemed sparse, allowing Erikson and Sissoko to get on the end of things.

Saturdays failure might be more down to tinkering the system as opposed to personnel.

...there must be a reason why RK prefers Williams to Jagielka. I'd have thought with Keane's aerial dominance, Jagielka would be a better foil. It's strange that up until Spurs we looked quite solid defensively. I think it's easy to concentrate on the CBs, but on Saturday Martina in particular played very narrow allowing acres of space out wide. Also, the protection in front of the back four seemed sparse, allowing Erikson and Sissoko to get on the end of things.

Saturdays failure might be more down to tinkering the system as opposed to personnel.

great point

I don't get the Williams hate. He's a solid defender and a good player still.

However, he hasn't looked sharp this season at all, and I'd rather have Jags in there alongside Keane atm, as you say. I think they offer a better balance.

great point

However, he hasn't looked sharp this season at all, and I'd rather have Jags in there alongside Keane atm, as you say. I think they offer a better balance.
Which is it? He's still good or he's not been good this season? He's had a whole pre-season, 4 premier league games and 4 europa league games, not to mention two internationals, to get "sharp" and still looks miles off the pace. That's ten competitive matches and a bunch of friendlies, if he's not up to speed by now he's done.

great point

He has been a liability in many of our games already. For an experienced defender he is making amateurish mistakes like the penalty given away week before last and how many times did he get rolled on Saturday when all he has to do is stand up. Jags or even Holgate all day long

Which is it? He's still good or he's not been good this season? He's had a whole pre-season, 4 premier league games and 4 europa league games, not to mention two internationals, to get "sharp" and still looks miles off the pace. That's ten competitive matches and a bunch of friendlies, if he's not up to speed by now he's done.

I think he's a solid, experienced defender going through a rough patch of form.

He's not 'done' at all.

He has been a liability in many of our games already. For an experienced defender he is making amateurish mistakes like the penalty given away week before last and how many times did he get rolled on Saturday when all he has to do is stand up. Jags or even Holgate all day long

I'd rather have Jags in.

I totally agree with that.

I'd rather have a new defender in tbh, but we didn't get that position sorted which should have been done.

I think he's a solid, experienced defender going through a rough patch of form.

He's not 'done' at all.
How does one tell the difference between a bad patch of form (10 games and counting - actually he was pretty ropey at the end of last season so it's longer than that) and the tipping point when a player is done? I'm basing my opinion on what is happening now, what are you basing yours on?

It's not just this season he's been bad, he put in some very suspect performances last season too.

I think physically he's just regressed massively - he must be one of the slowest players I've seen pull on an Everton shirt in a long time.

Both Williams and Martina look better-suited to playing in a five, so I've no idea why Koeman decided to give them the nod in a flat four.

Can't remember the last time I saw a player struggle to recover ground as much as Williams does. Any sort of clever movement to pull him out of position and he's a sitting duck.

It's not just this season he's been bad, he put in some very suspect performances last season too.

I think physically he's just regressed massively - he must be one of the slowest players I've seen pull on an Everton shirt in a long time.
There were serious warning signs at Anfield, when Mane knew to just run in a straight line long enough to lose Williams and make a straightforward turn towards goal.

Dread to think of him chasing Salah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back