2023/24 Ashley Young

Said pretty much the same elsewhere. At the most, he should be coming on for the last 15 to see a game out, and/or maybe starting v bottom 6 teams. Hopefully he will be 2nd/3rd choice more often next season.
He covers 4 positions from the bench and has been at some top clubs which might be helping the staff on the training pitch. I'm sure Thiago Silva was still a positive force at Chelsea or Richard Gough was at Everton back in the Smith days, he's not as good as them obviously but ultimately if Dyche wants him arounds and he's not breaking the bank he has earned that level of influence

Plenty of sellable assets but unfortunately nobody will want them, as evidenced by nobody coming in for them despite them having been available for transfer for at least one year; Keane, Godfrey, Holgate, Maupay.

Plus Patterson will be available (I see Dyche looking to start with Coleman unless money is there to buy a new RB, with Young used as his backup and at LB/RW/LW - ffs), and clearly Beto isn't fancied and he'd entertain offers for Dobbin too.

Seeing as next season once again will be solely about staying up, Dyche will know that as long as we keep most of the squad together then we should be OK. Whether we could withstand losing Branthwaite and replacing him with a significantly worse player - probably Keane - remains up for question. Tarkowski will bring out the best in whoever partners him though.

If we could sell and get money for Keane/Holgate/Beto/Dobbin/Maupay it would help no end. £30m for that lot and replacing them with 1x CB and 1x ST would leave us immediately in much better shape. Won't happen though as nobody wants our expensively-paid cast-offs, so we'll need to go down the route of selling players we want to keep and replacing them with unknowns (like Beto was) or players we know are miles worse than them but can 'do a job'.

Club will be praying Leeds don't come up so that we can go back for Harrison, and watch Danjuma arrive before the window slams shut and we're scratching around just to add numbers to the squad.

It's going to be an awful summer for the club.

Whether we could withstand losing Branthwaite and replacing him with a significantly worse player - probably Keane - remains up for question.
giphy.gif

You can't tell me there isn't a better option available in world football who we could get for the same wages. Thelwell is one lazy lazy man
The manager clearly wants to keep him. There's many a stick to beat Thelwell with, a tiny French striker shaped stick springs to mind, but I'm not sure renewing Young's contract is one of them. He shouldn't renew it, he's old and rubbish, but if the manager wants to keep a player that is already at the club then a DoF has got to be very, very sure of what he is doing.

That's one way of looking at it, but once again, naively, your post does not mention where we are at financially.

Another way of looking at it, is saying we are extending contracts of players whose contributions have comfortably kept us in the division. We are doing this, because we cannot pay real money for new signings, who will also want a deal longer than 12 months.

Ashley Young isn't very good anymore. He's a squad player at best. He's a very short term solution for a club in a massive financial mess. Which bit don't you get?
He played 34 games in all competitions this season, what does "squad player" mean to you exactly? Financially he's not cheap either, by all accounts he's on £70k+ a week and he'll get a signing on fee. There are younger, cheaper options out there if you have a functioning recruitment system. Sadly, we do not.

He played 34 games in all competitions this season, what does "squad player" mean to you exactly? Financially he's not cheap either, by all accounts he's on £70k+ a week and he'll get a signing on fee. There are younger, cheaper options out there if you have a functioning recruitment system. Sadly, we do not.
In an ideal world he would be a squad player, was my point, somewhere back there and tbh I cba scrolling back, and repeating it lid, as it's all been said. However I mentioned the cost thing earlier to Mike on this page..
I've no idea of his wages mate. But there's no fee, and a one year deal only. A new player probably wants a 3 year deal minimum and will come cost a fee. Assuming you're correct, Young cost £4m for the next year, given our predicament, I'd say that is the 'cheap' end of scale.

In an ideal world he would be a squad player, was my point, somewhere back there and tbh I cba scrolling back, and repeating it lid, as it's all been said. However I mentioned the cost thing earlier to Mike on this page..
So, you concede that he's probably not just a squad player and that he's not all that cheap but you're still all for it? Weird.

So, you concede that he's probably not just a squad player and that he's not all that cheap but you're still all for it? Weird.
'Concede'? Do you think you're a nerd board Gary Kasparov because you think Ashley Young isn't that great? Everyone here thinks the same, mate, including me.

Cherry picking the odd phrase, taking stuff out of context, and coming out with crap like that above, soz like, but when fellas put words in your mouth, it all becomes a bit tedious. If you want to discuss, go back, read the thread properly, reply, and I will discuss.

'Concede'? Do you think you're a nerd board Gary Kasparov because you think Ashley Young isn't that great? Everyone here thinks the same, mate, including me.

Cherry picking the odd phrase, taking stuff out of context, and coming out with crap like that above, soz like, but when fellas put words in your mouth, it all becomes a bit tedious. If you want to discuss, go back, read the thread properly, reply, and I will discuss.
I'll do my best to summarise what I've read from you because you seem very pissy about people disagreeing with you (maybe you should articulate your points more clearly since nobody seems capable of understanding what the hell you are going on about):

Ashley Young isn't good.
Ashley Young should be a squad player.
Ashley Young isn't likely to be a squad player and is likely to play a lot of games.
Ashley Young is cheap.
Ashley Young is on a high wage and will likely command a significant signing on fee. This is still cheap.
Everton shouldn't sign players who's contracts have expired because that means nobody wants them.
Ashley Young's contract is about to expire.
We shouldn't sign players who are 39 and out of contract.
We are skint.
Because we are skint younger out of contract players who would sign for us are too expensive.
Because we are skint younger players out of contract who would sign for us aren't good enough.
Signing Ashley Young to a new contract is the right thing to do.
There is nobody available in world football that is as cheap and good as Ashley Young, even though he is neither cheap nor good according to you (sometimes).

I can vault every single one of these things from you in the past 24 hours if you want me to, or you can clarify your position as you seem a bit all over the place.

For the record, I don't think we should re-sign Ashley Young because I think he gives the ball away too much, concedes too many fouls, gets caught out of position too frequently, accumulates too many yellow and red cards, is physically in decline, and costs way too much money. I think that even though I know that we have a thin squad and very limited funds. We can do better than Ashley Young even with the funding restrictions we are currently dealing with.

I'll do my best to summarise what I've read from you because you seem very pissy about people disagreeing with you (maybe you should articulate your points more clearly since nobody seems capable of understanding what the hell you are going on about):

Ashley Young isn't good.
Ashley Young should be a squad player.
Ashley Young isn't likely to be a squad player and is likely to play a lot of games.
Ashley Young is cheap.
Ashley Young is on a high wage and will likely command a significant signing on fee. This is still cheap.
Everton shouldn't sign players who's contracts have expired because that means nobody wants them.
Ashley Young's contract is about to expire.
We shouldn't sign players who are 39 and out of contract.
We are skint.
Because we are skint younger out of contract players who would sign for us are too expensive.
Because we are skint younger players out of contract who would sign for us aren't good enough.
Signing Ashley Young to a new contract is the right thing to do.
There is nobody available in world football that is as cheap and good as Ashley Young, even though he is neither cheap nor good according to you (sometimes).

I can vault every single one of these things from you in the past 24 hours if you want me to, or you can clarify your position as you seem a bit all over the place.

For the record, I don't think we should re-sign Ashley Young because I think he gives the ball away too much, concedes too many fouls, gets caught out of position too frequently, accumulates too many yellow and red cards, is physically in decline, and costs way too much money. I think that even though I know that we have a thin squad and very limited funds. We can do better than Ashley Young even with the funding restrictions we are currently dealing with.

he won’t start long as myko stays fit!

he won’t start long as myko stays fit!
He'll play at right back, Matty, Coleman won't stay fit and Dyche hates Patterson. If Leeds are promoted we won't sign Harrison (not necessarily a bad thing) so he'll also get plenty of games at right wing. That, and when Myko is injured he'll play left back. He'll play a minimum of 30 games next season, imo.