Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Ashley Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Dyche and his coaching team have been trying to teach Patterson the basics of playing the fullback position but aren't seeing him put it into practice, hence him not getting the game time. A complete lack of positional sense is a fatal flaw in a fullback.
would be good if they could try and coach some of that into Young as well then. The amount of times Mitoma went past Young yesterday was no better than Paqueta going past Patterson in the West Ham game.

They both look poor at it at the moment. But like I say, Patterson will actually improve and develop.

No Dave, we'd have probably managed to get out of our own half a bit more, Harrison wouldn't have been exhausted from covering Young defensively and we would certainly have been no worse defensively. Sorry Dave you're on a hiding to nothing here, no matter how poor Patterson may or may not be, he is a better option than a 39 years old Ashley Young.
How can that be the case when it's been proven beyond all doubt that Patterson is not an able deputy to even Young, never mind Coleman?

would be good if they could try and coach some of that into Young as well then. The amount of times Mitoma went past Young yesterday was no better than Paqueta going past Patterson in the West Ham game.
No, he defended well against him. A number of times after hitting a brick wall Mitoma had to admit defeat and play it back to cart horse Milner coz he wasn't getting any change out of Young.

No, he defended well against him. A number of times after hitting a brick wall Mitoma had to admit defeat and play it back to cart horse Milner coz he wasn't getting any change out of Young.
He literally went past him multiple times. Making crosses and cut backs. Young got our worst rating on the team by whoscored (which I don’t necessarily agree with).

I thought he had an ok game, nothing special but not awful either but it was no better than Patterson vs West Ham. Who yes, Paqueta got past a few times, but also didn’t get past him every time, the same way Mitoma didn’t get past Young every time.

Unbelievable the dummy throwing going on here.

Young is not great, but he's done easily enough in the last two games to warrant Dyche handing him the start against Palace next week...and some believe a player who's positionally clueless would be our best bet to start at RB at Palace...because they've painted themselves into a corner backing him.

Dear Lord.

I think it’s clear we need a new RB and Patterson could then go out on loan and benefit from game time he needs it, injuries and stop start in and out the squad isn’t helping him at all.

Unbelievable the dummy throwing going on here.

Young is not great, but he's done easily enough in the last two games to warrant Dyche handing him the start against Palace next week...and some believe a player who's positionally clueless would be our best bet to start at RB at Palace...because they've painted themselves into a corner backing him.

Dear Lord.

Or maybe it’s because the alternative is a 38 year old old man who can’t move and gets targeted by the opposition for 90 minutes every week?

He literally went past him multiple times. Making crosses and cut backs. Young got our worst rating on the team by whoscored (which I don’t necessarily agree with).

I thought he had an ok game, nothing special but not awful either but it was no better than Patterson vs West Ham. Who yes, Paqueta got past a few times, but also didn’t get past him every time, the same way Mitoma didn’t get past Young every time.

I was at the match then I watched a full replay of it last night paying paticular attention to Young's second half showing as that was down the other end of the pitch from where I sat. I didn't see the game the way you describe it and suspect you might be watching young through Patterson tinted spectacles.

Personally I'd have taken off Young and Harrison on 65 minutes, brought Godfrey and Patterson on and played five at the back since we were struggling to contain them with our narrow back four and it was obvious their tactic was to get at us down the flanks.

How can that be the case when it's been proven beyond all doubt that Patterson is not an able deputy to even Young, never mind Coleman?
Only on planet Davek. I'll give you an analogy Dave, I run, I've always run, I've always been on the good side of average in 5 and 10 k road races and cross countries. I'm 70 now and, in my age group I am still on the good side of average. If, however,I look at my position overall including all age groups, I would certainly be in the bottom quarter. The reason for this mate is age,Young is suffering with the same problem, If he played in an over 35 league he would be fine, but he doesn't, which means that lesser gifted players than himself, like Patterson for instance, are a better option.

I was at the match then I watched a full replay of it last night paying paticular attention to Young's second half showing as that was down the other end of the pitch from where I sat. I didn't see the game the way you describe it and suspect you might be watching young through Patterson tinted spectacles.

Personally I'd have taken off Young and Harrison on 65 minutes, brought Godfrey and Patterson on and played five at the back since we were struggling to contain them with our narrow back four and it was obvious their tactic was to get at us down the flanks.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Young can play a part. Against Burnley, once he moved further forward he looked great and had a really positive impact. For me, I’d have taken Harrison off and brought Patterson on and had him and Young double up on Mitoma as he was always their main threat. I just think that both will make mistakes and both will be taken on and targeted by opposition.

But as we have seen with other young players recently who were looking poor, a consistent run of games and not being taken in and out has helped them settle and cut out the mistakes.

I certainly haven’t seen enough to suggest Young is any better, certainly not to the extent some are pretending he is over Patterson. And the vitriol that those same posters give Patterson, have led to views becoming entrenched and it becoming tribalistic and probably made people harsher on Young because those posters are incredibly harsh against Patterson (literally picking apart his every move in games which they don’t do to others and they actually excuse the same things from Young that they judge Patterson for)

Or maybe it’s because the alternative is a 38 year old old man who can’t move and gets targeted by the opposition for 90 minutes every week?
He was targeted yesterday and pretty much handled Mitoma all day - and if that clown Pickford had been concentrating we'd have won.

Only on planet Davek. I'll give you an analogy Dave, I run, I've always run, I've always been on the good side of average in 5 and 10 k road races and cross countries. I'm 70 now and, in my age group I am still on the good side of average. If, however,I look at my position overall including all age groups, I would certainly be in the bottom quarter. The reason for this mate is age,Young is suffering with the same problem, If he played in an over 35 league he would be fine, but he doesn't, which means that lesser gifted players than himself, like Patterson for instance, are a better option.
He's experienced and knows where to stand when defending as part of a back four. Patterson is a clown with zero awareness and never learns his lesson after being scalped on numerous occasions.

He's experienced and knows where to stand when defending as part of a back four. Patterson is a clown with zero awareness and never learns his lesson after being scalped on numerous occasions.
As experienced as he is Dave, he is done for pace and walked past on a regular basis, Patterson is not a clown, although he is far from premier league standard at the moment, but, and I can't stress this enough to you, he at least might improve with a run in the team, that is hardly going to be the case with Young.

Having Young and Gueye in the team deprives us of so much energy and mobility. I can see I'm flogging a dead horse here, because as usual, when you have an agenda you will not listen to sense, so carry on banging your drum Dave, I've had my say.

Like with Onana and Myko, if he was given a consistent run of games, he might be able to get to that. Coming in and out the team doesn’t help. When he has a consistent run of games under Lampard, he was performing better.

Young has cost us points and is making mistakes, Patterson may do the same, but the upside for him is, he will most likely progress from that as he develops more.

Problem is no manager fancies Patterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back