Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Ashley Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have been weighed

You have been measured

You have been found wanting

Go away until you can supply such evidence to carry on your argument.
You look really silly carrying this on.

Ashley Young out.

I agree with Young out.

Problem is you want to support Patterson and he is not good enough.

As experienced as he is Dave, he is done for pace and walked past on a regular basis, Patterson is not a clown, although he is far from premier league standard at the moment, but, and I can't stress this enough to you, he at least might improve with a run in the team, that is hardly going to be the case with Young.

Having Young and Gueye in the team deprives us of so much energy and mobility. I can see I'm flogging a dead horse here, because as usual, when you have an agenda you will not listen to sense, so carry on banging your drum Dave, I've had my say.
But you want to start him over a player that's just had two good games in a row.

Problem is no manager fancies Patterson.
Lampard did and gave him a run of games and he performed fairly well and had a run of some consistency (even when Coleman had recovered from the injury, Patterson was still being picked). But then he got injured and Coleman came in for him and then Coleman was playing well and is also the club captain so rightly wasn’t being dropped.

Dyche doesn’t seem to fancy him no, but Dyche didn’t fancy Mina either until Keane gave him no choice but to drop him. He didn’t fancy Mykolenko either who since he has had a run of games has improved remarkably and cut out a lot of the mistakes he was making.

I don’t think he has been any worse in his recent performances than Young has been recently. Yet he will also still improve.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Young can play a part. Against Burnley, once he moved further forward he looked great and had a really positive impact. For me, I’d have taken Harrison off and brought Patterson on and had him and Young double up on Mitoma as he was always their main threat. I just think that both will make mistakes and both will be taken on and targeted by opposition.

But as we have seen with other young players recently who were looking poor, a consistent run of games and not being taken in and out has helped them settle and cut out the mistakes.

I certainly haven’t seen enough to suggest Young is any better, certainly not to the extent some are pretending he is over Patterson. And the vitriol that those same posters give Patterson, have led to views becoming entrenched and it becoming tribalistic and probably made people harsher on Young because those posters are incredibly harsh against Patterson (literally picking apart his every move in games which they don’t do to others and they actually excuse the same things from Young that they judge Patterson for)
I think if Patterson had it in him to realise the potential people on here see in him then Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole would have developed him. He's spent his career as second or third choice for a reason - he's simply not good enough.

I agree with Young out.

Problem is you want to support Patterson and he is not good enough.
I want to support all our players if they are given the same chance as an aged has been that costs us almost every game.

Give him that run of games same as Young consistently gets. If it doesn't work then so be it then move him on.

The present situation doesn't make sense.

I want to support all our players if they are given the same chance as an aged has been that costs us almost every game.

Give him that run of games same as Young consistently gets. If it doesn't work then so be it then move him on.

The present situation doesn't make sense.

I want to support all our players but slag Ashley Young off at the same time.

Patterson had a run of games at the start of the season and never shone. Myko missed out at the start and then came in and performed well.

Lampard did and gave him a run of games and he performed fairly well and had a run of some consistency (even when Coleman had recovered from the injury, Patterson was still being picked). But then he got injured and Coleman came in for him and then Coleman was playing well and is also the club captain so rightly wasn’t being dropped.

Dyche doesn’t seem to fancy him no, but Dyche didn’t fancy Mina either until Keane gave him no choice but to drop him. He didn’t fancy Mykolenko either who since he has had a run of games has improved remarkably and cut out a lot of the mistakes he was making.

I don’t think he has been any worse in his recent performances than Young has been recently. Yet he will also still improve.

He got a run of games with Dyche at the start of the season and never performed.

I think at the start of next season he will be with a new club.

Mitoma is one of the trickiest wingers in the PL. No RB has managed to control him. Bar a freak deflection he had one other run where he beat Young.
I think he's doing ok - but Dyche should have subbed him before 80 mins. Even Patterson got skinned by Mitoma when he came on.
Give the fella a break, We ain't shopping in Harrods these days so have to make the best of what we have.
Saying that - I see him as a utility cover player and I'd sertainly start Patterson at RB before Young.

Mitoma is one of the trickiest wingers in the PL. No RB has managed to control him. Bar a freak deflection he had one other run where he beat Young.
I think he's doing ok - but Dyche should have subbed him before 80 mins. Even Patterson got skinned by Mitoma when he came on.
Give the fella a break, We ain't shopping in Harrods these days so have to make the best of what we have.
Saying that - I see him as a utility cover player and I'd sertainly start Patterson at RB before Young.
Mitoma walked past Young at will in the second half and had several cut backs into the box dealt with by Tarkowski and Branthwaite. Harrison literally ran himself into the ground trying that cover for Young whilst also having to compensate in attack as a consequence of Young's inability to get up the pitch regularly. I'm not saying he can't play, but, he certainly can't play for more than about 30 minutes before the pace of the game gets too much for him. He really should not be starting premier league matches.

Patterson had a run of games at the start of the season and never shone. Myko missed out at the start and then came in and performed well.
You know fine well that the team Dyche was putting out wasn’t balanced, he had everyone but the back 4 pressing and the team kept getting caught out, nearly always down the left with Young. That wasn’t anything to do with Patterson that was Dyche putting out teams that gave the back 4 no cover.

Mitoma walked past Young at will in the second half and had several cut backs into the box dealt with by Tarkowski and Branthwaite. Harrison literally ran himself into the ground trying that cover for Young whilst also having to compensate in attack as a consequence of Young's inability to get up the pitch regularly. I'm not saying he can't play, but, he certainly can't play for more than about 30 minutes before the pace of the game gets too much for him. He really should not be starting premier league matches.
They scored 1 deflected goal. Mitoma has roasted most RB's for 2 years. I don't accept Young played badly. Brighton didn't have many scoring opportunities and both Harrison and McNeil have back tracking as a priority over attack. It's Dyche's modus operandi. I don't like it - especially at home. Young should however have been subbed before he was but for a free transfer he has done ok for us.

Young is finished , it happens to every player.
He has been very costly to us in almost every game he plays in.

This by every metric means he should not be starting any games for us.

As for Patterson you say he never shone , you mean like all the team in those early games ?

I'm still waiting to see the mistakes that have been equally as costly as say Youngs.
But I get it some have made their mind up and that's their right but one or 2 post complete nonsense to justify their stance.
Listen to any phone ins , read any message boards or forums the majority are as baffled as I am why Young is constantly picked over Patterson.

I've seen enough of this lad to think he'll be a real talent if coached & encouraged , he won't get that playing second fiddle to Ashley Young.
Pretty poor situation as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back