Match Thread Aston Villa vs. Everton - Carabao Cup Third Round

Your MOTM vs Aston Villa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always said a team that has never won this domestic trophy, or any trophy since 1995 should never even think about playing a weakened team.

Given our perilous situation in the league based on the last two seasons, our really thread bare squad and the importance of our next 2 home games - this is the first time I think we should.

Wouldn't risk Pickford, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, McNeil, Beto, Calvert-Lewin or Garner.

You know what happens when we rest players, they just go and get injured the next game and we bemoan the fact that it wasn't worth resting them in the first place!

I say go all out to win, wins build confidence and momentum.

When was the last time we won 2 aways on the bounce?

if we are not up for this, questions need to be asked, after the debacle earlier this season... we need to properly want this one, despite it being the inter bobbins milk coca cola rubbish team wins a cup

You know what happens when we rest players, they just go and get injured the next game and we bemoan the fact that it wasn't worth resting them in the first place!

I say go all out to win, wins build confidence and momentum.

When was the last time we won 2 aways on the bounce?
I agree.

I'd rather we aimed for momentum, and showing progression after the capitulation at Villa Park a few weeks ago.

My XI:

Pickford

Patterson
-- Keane -- Tarkowski -- Mykolenko

McNeil ---- Garner ----
Onana ---- Danjuma

Doucoure

Beto

I've been in two minds about consistency vs. recovery time but ultimately decided that a bit of rotation is needed I reckon. Hopefully Harrison is available for a bench spot at least.

Last edited:
Team:

Virginia
Patterson - Godfrey - Keane - Mykolenko
Harrison - Onana - Gomes or Onyango - Danjuma
Chermiti Dobbin

Basically hand starters-potential starters needing a match this tie and the rest on the periphery get their chance.

The name of the game here is to avoid injuries and suspensions.

Get it over with and focus on Luton which is 10x more important.

For once Dave you've got it wrong. A cup run is in order this season I reckon. Put out a decent enough team and give it a go

lineup (2).webp

I typed Godfrey very tentatively but I think we should be mindful with Branthwaite's minutes.

Ideally around 60 mins we'll do the following subs:

Beto or Chermitti on for DCL
Harrison on for McNeil
Young on for Mykolenko
Onana on for Gueye
Branthwaite on for Tarkowski

-----------------Pickford
Patterson Tarkowski Godfrey Mykolenko
------------Onana----Onyango
Harrison--------Gomes---------Danjuma
------------------Beto

Won't be the team, but I'd try something like that.

- Harrison will get 30-45mins, so maybe start him.
- Onyango I don't think is the required level, but we could do with Gana/Doucoure given a small rest for saturday.
- Danjuma will definitely start, I think Beto may as well
- Give Chermiti some mins, wouldn't be against starting Virginia.
- Don't bother with Keane, especially after his performance there the other week, don't particulary want to see Godfrey playing either, but would rest Branthwaite in this if poss.
- Give Gomes a shot off the striker, why not?

I'd like us to play a full XI and really give this comp a go (Especially as I think Villa will rest a lot of players 3 games in 5.5 days for them), but Luton & Bournemouth games are so big for us to give us some confidence and momentum.

Playing anything close to a full strength side would be borderline negligence.

I cannot express how much I hate this stupid clown cup and all those that whinge about us not taking it seriously. It just needs eliminating from the English football schedule.

Playing anything close to a full strength side would be borderline negligence.

I cannot express how much I hate this stupid clown cup and all those that whinge about us not taking it seriously. It just needs eliminating from the English football schedule.
The issue is, we don’t have players to come in. Who do we swap the midfield out for etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back