Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you more of a supporter and have more of a right to talk about the game because you went and i was sat at home in front of the TV with my sick 3 month old son? Perhaps it's because to travel to games it would be a 6/7 hour round trip for me because i got offered a job thats a considerable distance from Merseyside? I would never swap furthering my career, accepting exciting and challenging opportunities , broadening my horizons and further educating myself (that ultimately benefits me and my family), in exchange for 'going the match'. Perhaps i spend more money and more of my free time travelling to and watch my team than you do? Have you ever considered that?

Or maybe this is simply and lack of understanding of what those watching on tv have said? From my own point of view, i merely said that watching the game on tv, it seemed like the crowd was flat and therefore lacking in atmosphere. I never stated there was no atmosphere.

Or maybe this was just an opportunity for me to rant about one of my biggest bugbears.

Not at all, its about perspective, when you watch on telly you can often see something different to that when you are sat in the ground, although it is the same thing the different view, the warm cosy couch, cup of tea or pint of lager makes it a little more comforting. Not going doesnt make you any less of a supporter. For what it is worth I do about 300 miles for every home game, I dread midweek games! On Monday night early tuesday morning the M62 was shut outside leeds and I ended up doing the rounds around yorkshire trying to get home back to Lincoln.

But what I will say, and this isnt directed at anyone in particular is that it is those/us fans that do go and are disappointed by the atmosphere inside the ground is maybe we should contact the club somehow to see what their perspective is and how we perhaps a minority who actually give a damn should go about improving it.

Playing devils advocate - isn't that exactly when the team needs the support?
I'll be honest here, the last thing I want to be doing is singing when its a drab game against a small club who have brought about 100 fans. You only have to look at some of the big games of seasons gone by and we've needed the support and it has been there, Man Utd 05', Fiorentina, Arsenal last season. Most games against the other big clubs always brings about really good atmospheres too. When it is needed, it is there I don't see a reason to force a singing section or anything else into the ground.

Playing devils advocate - isn't that exactly when the team needs the support?

Spot on, but sadly too many want to turn up, sit down in silence and be entertained, that is what the cinema and theatre are for.

You don't have to sing to offer the team vocal support, simple encouragement will do, but if you don't want to sing or cheer the team on there is no need to make it hard for them but shouting and mindless booing.

I'll be honest here, the last thing I want to be doing is singing when its a drab game against a small club who have brought about 100 fans. You only have to look at some of the big games of seasons gone by and we've needed the support and it has been there, Man Utd 05', Fiorentina, Arsenal last season. Most games against the other big clubs always brings about really good atmospheres too. When it is needed, it is there I don't see a reason to force a singing section or anything else into the ground.

Different fans want different things. I'd want to be amongst singing in a drab game, you don't, that's fine. What's happening though is I'll be sat next to someone like you so I'd find it disappointing (that's not a criticism of you btw), I'd want to be by fans who are like me and want to be singing, ie a singing section/terrace/safe standing area. We're a big club and because of that we should be looking to satisfy all the different types of fans we have.

You only have to look at some of the big games of seasons gone by and we've needed the support and it has been there, Man Utd 05', Fiorentina, Arsenal last season. .

Mate those games were years ago, United 9 years ago? Fiorentina? if we have to go that far back to name games where the support was there it shows how bad we are.

Look at that game games against Wimbeldon, they needed us then, but we play that now with the crowd on the players backs and were gone, and Sheff United stay up.

Me and a few others are thinking of planning something that could potentially improve the atmosphere for City at home. Think something like this needs a larger core than a handful of young lads trying things that will no doubt get laughed at by a big percentage of our fans though (No, it's no drums, no stolen songs or anything daft). Before I say what, has anyone got any ideas?
Also - reading back from page 1 there are plenty of you that want to do something, we need as much people as possible to put their words into action. I only get to a handful of home games but City can be a good starting point I think.

All that is necessary for the development of a group of fans who will support Everton loudly during the match is a few strong personalities that will have enough patience to overcome a few obstacles. And who will be working on the development of such a group long enough.
In my youth I was an athlete and (just my opinion) PortlanToffee, RyanGordon are right. Athlete need support primarily during bad games, when football players are out of form etc.

Matched with a referee giving us nothing and handing out presents to the opposition. Bit of a siege mentality.

To be honest the atmosphere at nearly all ground is flat more often than not.
Keep telling yourself that, i used to believe it.

Yet every away game i've been the home crowd have been singing and making noise, it's a myth.

We have one of the worst atmosphere's in the prem

Yeah I was one of those 30,000-odd on Monday night who got soaked walking up to the ground and sat there freezing watching dull football for first 25 mins. Not complaining cos would never swap going the match for watching on TV but those complaining about the lack of atmosphere from their armchairs might want to consider the miserable weather conditions on the ground before criticising those in the ground for not creating an 'electric' atmosphere?
Yeah so was I mate. Tried to stand up and get a few songs going in the Gwladys, mainly just to try and warm myself up because sitting down i was frozen aswell. Only to get an earful from a load of blues telling me to sit down and shutup.

It is looking like stadiums in England will get permission for standing areas in the near future. the top leagues in Europe do it. that would bring more money into the club, plus better atmosphere. Borussia Dortmund get 30 odd thousand in that one stand behind the goal. its crazy.

Yeah so was I mate. Tried to stand up and get a few songs going in the Gwladys, mainly just to try and warm myself up because sitting down i was frozen aswell. Only to get an earful from a load of blues telling me to sit down and shutup.
Yeah i know what you mean mate. I was in the Park End and we had one short burst of 'Never felt more like singing the Blues...' which is a personal favourite since Kharkhiv away but altogether it was too cold to stand up. Atmosphere not helped by QPR doing a Krasnodar and only bringing a few dozen fans either. Said to the lad next to me, there's not a lot to dislike about QPR - like Fulham. So it was just swapping Fulham for them in terms of rubbish away support. Stoke and West Ham usually have good support for the atmosphere at the next few home games.

Yeah i know what you mean mate. I was in the Park End and we had one short burst of 'Never felt more like singing the Blues...' which is a personal favourite since Kharkhiv away but altogether it was too cold to stand up. Atmosphere not helped by QPR doing a Krasnodar and only bringing a few dozen fans either. Said to the lad next to me, there's not a lot to dislike about QPR - like Fulham. So it was just swapping Fulham for them in terms of rubbish away support. Stoke and West Ham usually have good support for the atmosphere at the next few home games.
and they'll both have constant digs at our terrible support AGAIN.

Hearing excuses of coldness or hardly any away fans annoys me so much, it shouldn't matter!

It was FREEZING in Wolfsburg, we were loud all game, i've sat in the sunshine in quietness at GP.

We can come up with excuses all day long about why we don't sing, the truth is we don't sing because of the style of football on show and our fans aren't as "amazing" as people make out.

I sat in silence at Sunderland away while their fans sung all game. Things need to change

Keep telling yourself that, i used to believe it.

Yet every away game i've been the home crowd have been singing and making noise, it's a myth.

We have one of the worst atmosphere's in the prem

This season, due to work, i've been to games at the Emirates, White Hart Lane, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and St Mary's that didn't involve Everton. The atmosphere's at all were what i would deem subdued. So i don't agree with your sentiments at all i'm afraid and i'm going on personal experience.

This season, due to work, i've been to games at the Emirates, White Hart Lane, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and St Mary's that didn't involve Everton. The atmosphere's at all were what i would deem subdued. So i don't agree with your sentiments at all i'm afraid and i'm going on personal experience.

Those grounds are 20x more vocal than us, period.

and they'll both have constant digs at our terrible support AGAIN.

Hearing excuses of coldness or hardly any away fans annoys me so much, it shouldn't matter!

It was FREEZING in Wolfsburg, we were loud all game, i've sat in the sunshine in quietness at GP.

We can come up with excuses all day long about why we don't sing, the truth is we don't sing because of the style of football on show and our fans aren't as "amazing" as people make out.

I sat in silence at Sunderland away while their fans sung all game. Things need to change

It's a different excuse each week, heard them all. Why should it matter who we're playing, we SHOULD support our team regardless if it's the derby or playing part-timers. This is our bloody ground, our home, lets make it passionate for 90 mins once a fortnight eh?

Even our players and the media are picking up on how soulless it is 85% of the time.

Weird, because all those grounds make more noise than us when WE go there, and they certainly make more noise than we do at Goodison.

I could literally hear Baines clap against QPR, that's embarrassing! Couldn't make out what he was saying, but heard him shouting and heard the clapping, it's a morgue and too many fans refuse to believe it.

Any suggestion is shot down with "thats kopite behaviour" or "yeah but when we're angry..." As @RyanGordon has just said..a different excuse every week.

I'm a ST holder in the Park End and i'm sick to death of away fans taunting us with no reply apart from "we only sing when we're winning"

The Gwladys used to be something i was in awe of, a loud nonstop stand, now they perk up about 60 mins in for 5 mins

Weird, because all those grounds make more noise than us when WE go there, and they certainly make more noise than we do at Goodison.

I could literally hear Baines clap against QPR, that's embarrassing! Couldn't make out what he was saying, but heard him shouting and heard the clapping, it's a morgue and too many fans refuse to believe it.

Any suggestion is shot down with "thats kopite behaviour" or "yeah but when we're angry..." As @RyanGordon has just said..a different excuse every week.

I'm a ST holder in the Park End and i'm sick to death of away fans taunting us with no reply apart from "we only sing when we're winning"

The Gwladys used to be something i was in awe of, a loud nonstop stand, now they perk up about 60 mins in for 5 mins

That's the problem, getting fans to admit or even care about the poor atmosphere. People have it in their heads that they're 'better' fans because they don't want to "act like kopites". That's fine, but you're no better, just the same as I'm no better because I want to support my team more vocally than those who don't. The way everyone talks about the Gwladys Street you'd think it was unreal but it's a morgue like the rest of the ground. It's about time we changed this. Hearing away fans singing "is this a library?" is a ritual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back