Transfer Rumour Axel Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player sales on players we make a loss on actually damage our ability to offer higher wages.

Think with Stones going, which is looking likely, i don't think we will be in a position with we make too many loses on player sales. Cleverly would also be seen as profit if he goes.

Niasse is the worry, but hell be loaned out to oblivion

We've lost Osman, Hibbert, pienaar and Howard. I bet that's probably £120-150k straight away. Gibson won't have signed improved terms so that will be further saving.

Plus I reckon we'll get rid of a few others.
Robles, Kone, niasse, Oviedo.

I don't think wage increases will be a massive deal.

If we plan on spending anything like the reported 100m without selling stones for example then yes mate, wages will be a massively limiting factor

Doing everything you said and getting rid of those 3 extra players (assuming we could sell or loan them out mate - and get their wages completely off the books) and with the allowed yearly increase on wages of 7m pa, wed be able to offer 375k pw roughly for new players and increasing contracts

Tarashaj arrives from his loan so his wages now will come off our books, Same with Dowell and Davies signing contracts this summer, so conservatively thats 40k coming out before we start, Signed the Dutch back up keeper - so another 25k at least gone, so we are on 310k pw before we start

Just to re-sign Lukaku 75k going to 140k), Stones 30k going to 100k) and Barkley (60k going to 100k) would take 175k out that 310k, leaving us with a grand total of 135k per week we can use to buy players with.

So we could bring in say Mata as long as he took a 5k pw pay cut from his current wages and then that would be the only thing we could do this summer mate, forget about a starting keeper, or anyone to play on the left or Witsel etc

The club needs to sell in order to grow, simple as that really

Its very strange, we do appear to be focusing on mainly number 6s, which IMO was the 1 position we had enough players in, granted some of those players are very limited, so whilst im not as anti-McCarthy as some, Witsel is most def an upgrade on him, but it still doesnt "solve" the issue of no number 8s in the squad.

Saying that, some of them are borderline, Strootman, Witsel and the boy Morgan all have much, much more to their game than McCarthy, all have a better passing range and can all shoot.

Just makes me wonder whats going to happen with the players we have, Barry, Gibson, McCarthy, The Clev and possibly even Besic would struggle for games if we signed Strootman and Witsel and IMO it wouldnt solve the major issue of creativity in the middle of the park, which would suggest to me that Barkley will be "turned" into a number 8.

Its hard to say how Koeman will set us up, hes not rigid, he adapts his formations and line ups, but he will have a preferred set up, it doesnt even say that it will be the same as it was at Southampton, its probably gonna take a few games to see how we will set up for most of the season.

Koeman has certainly seen which area is lacking, its gonna be a very interesting few months.

Don't think any of the current centre mids who we have will see much time at all mate and wouldn't be shocked if a few of them got moved on.

Gibson and Barry may stay around for 'experience' etc, Besic because he's young and has the talent if he can stay healthy to kick on- hope he stays like, but Cleverley and Mccarthy i can see being shipped out as soon as we get a couple of signings into the centre, neither is good enough and both we shouldn't struggle to sell for a decent profit

Agree with you that Barkley will definitely be earmarked for a number 8 role though and maybe the best thing if we do bring in a fair few new players in the centre would be a loan for Besic to get him a full season starting at a decent team

Don't think any of the current centre mids who we have will see much time at all mate and wouldn't be shocked if a few of them got moved on.

Gibson and Barry may stay around for 'experience' etc, Besic because he's young and has the talent if he can stay healthy to kick on- hope he stays like, but Cleverley and Mccarthy i can see being shipped out as soon as we get a couple of signings into the centre, neither is good enough and both we shouldn't struggle to sell for a decent profit

Agree with you that Barkley will definitely be earmarked for a number 8 role though and maybe the best thing if we do bring in a fair few new players in the centre would be a loan for Besic to get him a full season starting at a decent team

Ban

If we plan on spending anything like the reported 100m without selling stones for example then yes mate, wages will be a massively limiting factor

Doing everything you said and getting rid of those 3 extra players (assuming we could sell or loan them out mate - and get their wages completely off the books) and with the allowed yearly increase on wages of 7m pa, wed be able to offer 375k pw roughly for new players and increasing contracts

Tarashaj arrives from his loan so his wages now will come off our books, Same with Dowell and Davies signing contracts this summer, so conservatively thats 40k coming out before we start, Signed the Dutch back up keeper - so another 25k at least gone, so we are on 310k pw before we start

Just to re-sign Lukaku 75k going to 140k), Stones 30k going to 100k) and Barkley (60k going to 100k) would take 175k out that 310k, leaving us with a grand total of 135k per week we can use to buy players with.

So we could bring in say Mata as long as he took a 5k pw pay cut from his current wages and then that would be the only thing we could do this summer mate, forget about a starting keeper, or anyone to play on the left or Witsel etc

So to sum up, stones is gone.

All signs point towards Koeman not rating McCarthy and/or Besic. I think it's the former as Koeman likes powerhouses and technical centre mids. James is neither. Besic is technically gifted. I even think he may keep Cleverley as he's versatile, just perhaps not a first choice cm.

Barry needs replacing also. Hopefully he's got another season in him but signing replacements now doesn't mean Koeman doesn't rate Barry. Any manager that doesn't rate Sir Gareth needs to have their uefa license thrown in the bin.

Are Lukaku and Witsel good friends? Is the reason we are spending so much on Witsel so that he can keep Lukaku from bitching if he has to stay with Everton?

I'll be honest, I don't think Witsel is worth £30 million. He's better than McCarthy but still doesn't provide enough from what I've seen.

The good:
Secure ball handling and dribbling
Solid passing and vision (will look forward instead of sideways)
Great positional defender
Superb tackler
Really strong and good at 50-50 headers
Nice set piece marking
Decent long shot

The bad:
Doesn't close down enough, is content to stand off
Work ethic is slightly questionable. Never runs, is always lightly jogging around the pitch. One thing I like about McCarthy is that he busts a gut to get back on defense or cover space.
Hesitant with his runs and inconsistent in final third. Not confident in his passing when area is clogged with defenders.
Pretty slow. Faster than Barry of course but not sure if he's faster than McCarthy or Besic.
27.5 years old. Prime age for a footballer but we wouldn't be able to sell him in 2-3 years and regain the transfer fee (unlike Lukaku who I always saw as an investment).
Inexperienced at the top leagues? I think he would be fine but it's slightly concerning.

I'd be willing to give maybe £20-23 million for the guy. However, we desperately need a playmaker, winger or striker. Everton have a little money to spend this summer but certainly aren't mega-rich. Spending £30 million on Witsel might hurt our chances at filling those other positions.

Last edited:

image.webp

All signs point towards Koeman not rating McCarthy and/or Besic. I think it's the former as Koeman likes powerhouses and technical centre mids. James is neither. Besic is technically gifted. I even think he may keep Cleverley as he's versatile, just perhaps not a first choice cm.

Barry needs replacing also. Hopefully he's got another season in him but signing replacements now doesn't mean Koeman doesn't rate Barry. Any manager that doesn't rate Sir Gareth needs to have their uefa license thrown in the bin.

Besic is life.

Besic is life.

If the lad can learn from GarBar he could be his eventual replacement. Needs to improve his positional awareness to do so though. But he's got bags of talent and the right attitude, hopefully under a good manager he can deliver on his potential.

An intermediary reveals Axel Witsel is “further away” from Napoli, and is in talks with Everton.

The Zenit St Petersburg midfielder had been in talks with both clubs, but it appears the lure of Premier League money may be crucial in his decision.

“Axel is currently further away from Napoli,” an intermediary for the deal, Francesco Marseglia, said on Radio Crc.

“The offer wasn’t really given a lot of consideration. Everton might even go above €4m net in salary.

“If you look at the financial aspect, that’s the right move, but in terms of career I’d choose Napoli every time, even putting the Champions League to one side.

“Napoli are an ambitious club, they’re growing every year, always taking more important players. Everton don’t seem like a great team.

“I don’t know exactly what the situation is, in my opinion he wants to take his time because he’s not yet convinced about what to do.

“He can either accept the English club or wait for an even bigger club."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back