Back to normal next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and things he got done this season: He managed to break our transfer record with a striker who is one of the best prospects in the league (take a breath and look at his record over the last three seasons: 17, 16, 15) and he got a world-class defensive midfielder for absolute buttons. Even for a young manager learning on the job, his signings and loans have been as impressive as Moyes's (and that was probably the strongest aspect of Moyes's reign).

Where to start....

Me. Because he isn't.

opinionated.gif

The season isn't over. We are still in a major European competition. People are going to have to wait for that to conclude before they can judge our season. If we win it, no one will remember or care about our season. Martinez will have become one of a select few managers who was won something with us. I'm not at all optimistic that is going to happen, but I'm curious to see if we win it and qualify for Champions League whether we'll have the same number of fans calling for his sacking. My read on the vast majority of the "sack him" contingent is that they either always hated him (and had to sit on their hands last season as we played the best football that we have played in 20 years) or they suffer the same short-term thinking that is plaguing football culture more generally. We're having a bad season (while still in the Europa!); deal with it.

This is where I have the problem. If this was the case and it was all down to Bobby then why has it gone so wrong this season. Surely the mess we are in is all down to him also which begs the question as to who is the real Bobby. My money is on this seasons Bobby. Reason being it was him in control of the farcical preseason and he allowed the squad to stand still while everyone else strengthened (we spent most of our funds on keeping what we had the previous season). He conned us the first season by getting in 2 class players to add to a fairly decent Moyes squad and lots have bought into that being the real Bobby and think it's all going to come back next season. I really can't see it, all I can see is him taking us backwards as we are never going to have the funds to get the players needed to successfully play his way and that's even if his system is actually sustainable long term in the PL which I have doubts it is.

What did you say? Do you think he can replicate last season and if so why? I think he can, but I don't think he will.
On this season's evidence I wouldn't bet on him turning things around, however on last season's evidence I would.

We have essentially seen the best and worst of Martinez abilities as a manager so if he takes all of the good things he did last season; learns from all of his mistakes this season, then we could potentially be in for a storming campaign next time around.

If he doesn't, then well it will be time to say goodbye.

Let's just hope that it's the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back