Back to normal next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No major problem with Pienaar, I honestly havent got a major issue with Osman, both decent squad players these days, Pienaar was vital to how we played for years, but both are defo the wrong side of 30 and I doubt either would have made a MAJOR difference this season personally.

Even ageing Pienaar and Osman are still good enough to secure a top 7 place. if we'd had those two and Gibson fit for the whole season we wouldn't be in this mess. That reflects badly on Roberto though because all three of those are Moyes' players and are good enough to just go and play regardless of who is managing them. I don't know why Roberto didn't look to cover some of these players with younger replacements in the summer. I thought Martinez would bring a whole host of lightweight creative players who may or may not be a bit inconsistent or flaky but when they were on it we'd be brilliant. Instead he's brought in a load of really boring defensive midfielders and a load of headless chickens to play on the wing and is now moaning that he hasn't got two 32 year olds to use?! If anything Moyes bought more creative players than Martinez. You can't argue with Baines Arteta Pienaar and Mirallas to go with Osman in the squad. Sadly he blotted his textbook with the useless oaf Fellaini.

Unless Martinez goes out and replaces Osman and Pienaar with midfield playmakers in their prime we won't be challenging the top places next season. We probably won't be in a relegation scrap as I do think we have been unlucky at times and with injuries, but you don't win anything playing with three defensive midfielders who don't score and don't create.

The season isn't over. We are still in a major European competition. People are going to have to wait for that to conclude before they can judge our season. If we win it, no one will remember or care about our season. Martinez will have become one of a select few managers who was won something with us. I'm not at all optimistic that is going to happen, but I'm curious to see if we win it and qualify for Champions League whether we'll have the same number of fans calling for his sacking. My read on the vast majority of the "sack him" contingent is that they either always hated him (and had to sit on their hands last season as we played the best football that we have played in 20 years) or they suffer the same short-term thinking that is plaguing football culture more generally. We're having a bad season (while still in the Europa!); deal with it.

Oh and things he got done this season: He managed to break our transfer record with a striker who is one of the best prospects in the league (take a breath and look at his record over the last three seasons: 17, 16, 15) and he got a world-class defensive midfielder for absolute buttons. Even for a young manager learning on the job, his signings and loans have been as impressive as Moyes's (and that was probably the strongest aspect of Moyes's reign).

The season isn't over. We are still in a major European competition. People are going to have to wait for that to conclude before they can judge our season. If we win it, no one will remember or care about our season. Martinez will have become one of a select few managers who was won something with us. I'm not at all optimistic that is going to happen, but I'm curious to see if we win it and qualify for Champions League whether we'll have the same number of fans calling for his sacking. My read on the vast majority of the "sack him" contingent is that they either always hated him (and had to sit on their hands last season as we played the best football that we have played in 20 years) or they suffer the same short-term thinking that is plaguing football culture more generally. We're having a bad season (while still in the Europa!); deal with it.

The question was has he done anything so far that makes people think he can get better, if your crystal ball says we will win the Europa, then of course thats a different question.

So basically you mentioned something that might happen and last season, so again, has he done anything THIS season that suggests things will be better next season?

Oh and things he got done this season: He managed to break our transfer record with a striker who is one of the best prospects in the league (take a breath and look at his record over the last three seasons: 17, 16, 15) and he got a world-class defensive midfielder for absolute buttons. Even for a young manager learning on the job, his signings and loans have been as impressive as Moyes's (and that was probably the strongest aspect of Moyes's reign).

besic
world class

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back