Back to normal next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, there will be some of us that are thinking we have been unlucky all season. I disagree, but strangely I think that next season(With a better pre-season than the one we had last summer) things might just slot back into place. We are not going to be relegated so what do you think can realistically be our objective for next season? Is this season just one big prolonged blip?

The thing is "normal" for Everton was actually a unique achievement.

A few clubs on our budget matched our finishing position once or twice over the past decade. However they always fell back into the pack.

We were the only club to finish in the top 7 more than once or twice without an annual spend of over £100m.

Losing Moyes meant losing that consistency. Like him or not he is the only manager to have manager to keep a club with a £60-70m annual budget consistently near the top.

This movement up and down the table is the new normal and would have been the case whoever was in charge.

The thing is "normal" for Everton was actually a unique achievement.

A few clubs on our budget matched our finishing position once or twice over the past decade. However they always fell back into the pack.

We were the only club to finish in the top 7 more than once or twice without an annual spend of over £100m.

Losing Moyes meant losing that consistency. Like him or not he is the only manager to have manager to keep a club with a £60-70m annual budget consistently near the top.

This movement up and down the table is the new normal and would have been the case whoever was in charge.

Poor excuse, the squad is string enough to be in the top 10.

Who could? Ultimately at some point the quality of the players determine that.

Martinez does seem to be building for the future plus maybe we will actually get movement on the stadium however I don't think anyone would launch us into the top 4 in a season.

It's one of the reasons why I want to give him as long as possible. I can't face starting again with a new manager. If we start going down the road of short term thinking we could really begin to slide.
I agree with your general position...but specifically, you have missed my point. That being, if 7th is a successful outcome next season, how have we advanced?.
I don't have any serious axes to grind with managers who deliver us 7th, but I just don't see the difference between Martinez and Moyes in this regard.

Poor excuse, the squad is string enough to be in the top 10.

Oh I don't disagree, we should be well above Stoke/Swansea etc I don't see this as anything other than failure.

All I'm saying is that "the new normal" is being back in the also-rans pack with other teams on our budget.

Moyes did have Everton overachieving, it is obvious from the stats. The fact some people denied it at the time and deny it now is what I can't understand.

We finished 7th in Moyes first season. Then 17th. Then 4th. Our average finishes were 7th. I expect the same with Bobby- I want him out but can't doubt that last season's sexiness is in the back of my mind. We finished 5th last season. We will finish 15th this season- never in danger of going down but too close to be comfortable. Top 4 definitely next year, and I figure we'll be in the Europa for a lot of years to come assuming he comes.

Btw if he follows Moyes pattern- he finishes 2nd next season!;)

I agree with your general position...but specifically, you have missed my point. That being, if 7th is a successful outcome next season, how have we advanced?.
I don't have any serious axes to grind with managers who deliver us 7th, but I just don't see the difference between Martinez and Moyes in this regard.

We haven't however we do have a good spine of young players some of which Martinez has bought and a few more signings like those I can see progression in the squad. It makes me hopeful for the future and I accept as a club we don't have the finances to speed up that progress so I want to be able to judge Martinez when the process is complete and I think he needs time.

So are pienaar and Osman now vital to how we play.

I thought these 2 were part of the "old guard clan who want him out, referred to has grasses not so long ago.

Everything seems to get blamed or excuses made accept what's happening in front of our eyes
I'm not sure about the whole conspiracy theories but there's no denying we haven't replaced them. Be it injury, form or age take your pick but their loss this season has been huge.

I'm not sure about the whole conspiracy theories but there's no denying we haven't replaced them. Be it injury, form or age take your pick but their loss this season has been huge.

Oh i admit it; I've said numerous that regardless of their age they still have a part to play due their ability. I think they are both very technically gifted players who can make stuff happen.

But apparently should be sold because they want Moyes back and are refusing to play for RM (madness i know, but this has what this season as brought out of the fanbase)

No major problem with Pienaar, I honestly havent got a major issue with Osman, both decent squad players these days, Pienaar was vital to how we played for years, but both are defo the wrong side of 30 and I doubt either would have made a MAJOR difference this season personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back