Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Barnsley vs. Everton - Wednesday 26th August - Capital One Cup Second Round - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference having someone who can cross a ball on the pitch makes. The forwards instantly recognise this too and will push for position in the box knowing a cross is gunna land on thier lap.

Every mcgeady cross fell short inthe first half... and oviedos were pretty useless too.

Were a much more potent team with wingers that actually do the correct things

I'll hold my tongue on agreeing with you there. if it's true stones wants to leave, then he can let the door hit him on the way out. i hope it's all a stupid mess created by SSN though. but idk
I don't. I think he put in a transfer request which I can understand. However if we keep him then for me that's the end of it.

Thought Pennington looked alright too.
Yes he was fine in what he did, let down by more experienced players in the first half forcing Roberto to make changes. Barnsley deserve massive accolades , but if we'd have done the job properly from the off we'd have built a lead , Pennington would have played 90 mins and maybe a cameo appearance for Holgate too.

Comedy goals are not funny.

I think you'll find they are......

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea - Demba Ba and Willian blow open Premier League ___.webp

Credit Barnsley. Deulofeu MOM 9/10, changed the game. I hope he carties this confidence at Spurs. This game for me marked the coming of age of Mo Besic. Intense, fearless, calm and composed. Great tackles, passing and no booking! Joel has lost what little respect I had for him after those 2 or 3 great games last season.
I've been saying it all last season, besic is a super little player and the way he's been treated here is disgusting, my opinion, I rate him better than McCarthy, the fact Barry gets picked ahead of him is farcical.

Basic will move soon, because Martinez will not drop Barry for him, and when he does we've lost a gem of a player.

Just wanted to say barnsley played well.They must be hoping we sell stones so they can have some money. We should buy the sell on clause fee of them.

I haven't read back on the thread so I don't know if it has already been mentioned but I thought Conor Hourihane was brilliant tonight.
He played exactly in the way that the creative player we need should play. Still only 24 and a Corkman...like myself.

I thought :
Robles looked rusty.
Pennington was not bad but difficult for a youngster in a team playing poorly.
Jagielka and Stones started very badly and improved somewhat as the game went on, but certainly not their finest hour.
Oviedo was awful, just has not recovered form after the injury.
Besic was very good I thought as was Cleverley. I thought Cleverley was playing well and showing for the ball when nobody else was.
McGeady-AWFUL.
Mirallas-goal apart I thought he was ordinary.
The Lukaku we all want to see is back.
Naismith did well-works hard and never gives up , if a bit limited.

Barkley and Deulofeu....a joy to watch.

Besic & Oviedo clearly lacking match fitness, switched off at times & struggled to keep up in general. Both good players who've spent far too much time away from the pitch, tonight will do them a lot of good.

Naismith, goal aside, was really poor I thought. His distribution & overall linkup play was awful throughout. Actually thought Rom was a bit turd at times as well, soon as he scored his first though it visibly gave him a lift & the Barnsley defenders didn't want to know anymore, so a good recovery from him.

Thought Stones & Jags weren't up to snuff tonight personally. They did some good stuff in patches but overall failed to instill any belief that they were in control, I mean how many more mix-ups at the back that lead to goals do we have to suffer before we get it right? Young Pennington started brightly enough but unfortunately his lack of experience was also painfully apparent. Hope getting sub off at HT won't knock his confidence too much.

Then we have Aiden McGeady.... absolute dogmeat. 'Nuff said really.

On the flipside, Deulofeu (who really should have started) & Barkley were our outstanding players on the night, Geri in particular doing what he does best and to devastating effect. Three ace assists from him & one from Ross. Top stuff. Honorable mention for Kev who also played his part.

Overall a good recovery from a nightmare first half & some good footy to watch at times. Main thing is we're through to the next round and it's time for bed like. COYB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back