Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Barnsley vs. Everton - Wednesday 26th August - Capital One Cup Second Round - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the game and, it pains me to say because I like the lad a lot, but Oviedo's legs (and maybe his bottle) have gone. Better wingers are going to skin him every time.
I know. He looked really overweight in pre-season too. I actually thought he looked better tonight and a lot slimmer plus the guy he was up against was really quick however I thought before the game we needed a LB before the window closes and I hate to say I haven't changed my mind.

With our fixtures we just can't afford him the time to see if he comes good. Every team is going to target that left side whether it's Galloway or Oviedo there. At least Galloway has the pace to get him out of jail when he gets caught out of position.

Maybe if we can get through the game against Spurs in another week Oviedo might get back to full fitness or maybe even Garbutt can be recalled. He wouldn't be too far away by then.

Phew! I was really surprised that Stones played. Once again you wouldn't know that he had anything on his mind. Credit to him for that. I was puzzled why he jumped over the shot for the opening goal though. Maybe he didn't want it to deflect off him for an og and he thought it was going wide otherwise?

The way that Jags looked at Joel for the second it seems that he expected the 'keeper to claim the ball.

Barnsley played well and it was always going to be difficult playing against a settled side with our mix-and-match team. Well done to Roberto for being so positive at half-time. Deulofeu turned the game but McGeady actually looked very bright in the first half in an unfamiliar role on the right.

My biggest concern was that we were leaving the defenders to defend and not getting back quickly enough even when we were in front. Are we fit enough? Are we hungry enough? Are we naive? We haven't yet got the team cohesion or tactical savvy to overcome better quality sides.

Just got back. Brilliant night out.

First half only Mirallas and Besic can take any credit whatsoever. Robles and Oviedo in particular had appalling games. I appreciate Oviedo is returning from injury and lacks fitness but I've not seen such a poor performance in a long time.

Second half and extra time we were excellent and the core of our young players looked brilliant. Barkley seems to have stepped it up two levels this season, Deulofeu if he can keep his hamstrings undamaged looks top top class, Lukaku and Besic also excellent.

If only we could put Yarmolenko in Naismith's place...

Just got back. Brilliant night out.

First half only Mirallas and Besic can take any credit whatsoever. Robles and Oviedo in particular had appalling games. I appreciate Oviedo is returning from injury and lacks fitness but I've not seen such a poor performance in a long time.

Second half and extra time we were excellent and the core of our young players looked brilliant. Barkley seems to have stepped it up two levels this season, Deulofeu if he can keep his hamstrings undamaged looks top top class, Lukaku and Besic also excellent.

If only we could put Yarmolenko in Naismith's place...

Seriously. I was vaguely disgusted by myself but I did keep imagining that.

image.webp
image.webp

Watching the fifth goal again, Barkley powering forward with Deulofeu and Lukaku going either side was just like watching the good Everton of 13/14 again. Amazing what happens when we put all our best players out at once in their best positions and play a style that suits them.

I know. He looked really overweight in pre-season too. I actually thought he looked better tonight and a lot slimmer plus the guy he was up against was really quick however I thought before the game we needed a LB before the window closes and I hate to say I haven't changed my mind.

With our fixtures we just can't afford him the time to see if he comes good. Every team is going to target that left side whether it's Galloway or Oviedo there. At least Galloway has the pace to get him out of jail when he gets caught out of position.

Maybe if we can get through the game against Spurs in another week Oviedo might get back to full fitness or maybe even Garbutt can be recalled. He wouldn't be too far away by then.
Garbutt is on a full season loan unfortunatly- it was not the best idea with no recall clause!

My Toffee Friends, I went to the Pub, watched the two goals, and the Barnsley goal. They TURNED THE GAME OFF after 71 mins, to start the quiz. Entered the quiz, won the quiz. I won £100.

I then went back, and my Girlfriend's father had just got back, I explained the situation, and watched the game. I watched the game, and went upstairs and did a lot of things to that guys daughter.

I felt like Ross and Rom were playing for me tonight, so that never again will my future maybe father in law can call my team [Poor language removed].

COYB XOXOX

I would love this to kick start our season, I want the team to use the stones incident to create a siege mentality.

Martinez has to play Mirallas and Deloufeu though to achieve this, 4 central midfielders and Kone won't give us that quality/fluidity to open teams up. It's obvious we can't keep a clean sheet so we need to take the game to the opposition and operate a "you score 2 we'll score 3" approach.

Phew! I was really surprised that Stones played. Once again you wouldn't know that he had anything on his mind. Credit to him for that. I was puzzled why he jumped over the shot for the opening goal though. Maybe he didn't want it to deflect off him for an og and he thought it was going wide otherwise?

Stones was wretched mate. His mind was totally elsewhere. Jumping over the ball for the first, ball watching for the second, and lax (by his standards) with his distribution. I'm not saying that the rest of the back line were not to blame (especially Oviedo who had a stinker) but to say Stones was his normal self is untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back