Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Barnsley vs. Everton - Wednesday 26th August - Capital One Cup Second Round - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree.

More often than not, our defence is a shambles. That's not down to the personnel, that's down to coaching and things not being drilled so often that they're second nature. I love Martinez, but this is his achilles heel and, if he doesn't address it, it'll stop him becoming a great manager.

It could be that they are 'over coached' and have become confused, instead of being allowed to play thier natural game. In which case these new breed of young defenders we have should be alot more comfortable with the martinez system as it has been coached in to them from the start

It could be that they are 'over coached' and have become confused, instead of being allowed to play thier natural game. In which case these new breed of young defenders we have should be alot more comfortable with the martinez system

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Sit and watch a game with an eye on how we defend as a unit. 9 times out of 10, we don't, players are all over the place. If that's down to coaching, then it's very very poor coaching.

Just got back after getting in the ground at 7:43 due to a 3 hour journey from Liverpool. Manchester trffic being a ballache.

Review;

Solid going forward, could have been 7/8 if we had been more clinical. Deulofeu changed it, good subs by Martinez. Defensively poor but suppose that could be expected these days. Besic positive. Lukaku very good,

Conclusion - we're dangerous going forward, still need that creative playmaker, defensive reinforcements definately needed.

-

Also we never win when i go to an away game so nice to actually win. First time I've ever seen us win from 2-0 down.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Sit and watch a game with an eye on how we defend as a unit. 9 times out of 10, we don't, players are all over the place. If that's down to coaching, then it's very very poor coaching.

city was a bit of an eye opener. 3 or 4 times there was 1 defender about 5 yards behind everyone else playing the striker(s) onside.

Fans were boss from the second half onwards, good away trip that, rounded off with seeing some of the players at the services (y)

Maybe, but I doubt it.

A lot of people have been quick to jump on Stones' back tonight after the first goal. The whole defence is all over the shop for the first two goals. Jagielka was no better than Stones, his positioning and communication to organize the defence were nowhere to be seen. The amount of times you see the players looking at each other after a goal is scored wondering where the other defenders are is telling of the situation.

Sound that. Joke that we conceded three against Barnsley but the atmosphere was boss and there were some fantastic performances (Deulofeu, Mirallas, Cleverley, Barkley). Pennington did well. Besic looked knackered, as did Oviedo (understandably) and Naismith and McGeady just aren't good enough.

On we go.

As long as we win more than we lose, I'm happy with the Kevin Keegan approach to football, it's far more entertaining isn't it? We're never going to win the league, so let's have some enjoyment, that was a very entertaining game.

More often than not, our defence is a shambles. That's not down to the personnel, that's down to coaching and things not being drilled so often that they're second nature. I love Martinez, but this is his achilles heel and, if he doesn't address it, it'll stop him becoming a great manager.

100% spot on, especially the bolded bit. If he doesn't sort it then it will be his downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back