Battle for 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint

Player Valuation: £35m
Its fantastic that we can look forward to next Sundays game still dreaming of a champions league place, considering how we all felt entering injury time against Cardiff it's been an amazing turnaround in both our form and the form of the Gunners.

I have had a look at the remaining fixtures both sides have remaining this morning and my optimism has taken a slight knock, here are both teams remaining fixtures.

Arsenal

Everton A 6th April

West Ham H 15th April

Hull A 19th April

Newcastle H 28th April

West Brom H 3rd May

Norwich A 11th May

Everton

Arsenal H 6th April

Sunderland A 12th April

Palace H 16th April

Man Utd H 20th April

Southampton H 26th April

Man City H 3rd May

Hull City A 11th May

Looking at both team final fixtures we have by far the most difficult, the Arsenal game next Sunday is obviously a must win game now after the point they picked up against City, the following weekend we go to a team fighting relegation and and we have a poor record at the Stadium of light into the bargain. Arsenal then have a banker 3 points to look forward to against against a West Ham team that should be safe from relegation, the following night we entertain Palace probably knowing Arsenal have won the previous evening, Palace will also be fighting for survival so i don't think this is by any means a gimme. Arsenal then have the advantage of playing first again when they go to Hull on the 19th, this could be a potential slip up game for them but i also think Hull could be safe by then so id fancy an Arsenal victory. The following day United come to Goodison we all know Moyes will have them pumped up for this so it's again going to be difficult. Everton then travel to Southampton on the 26th, now it could be said that they won't have much to play for but considering half the team is battling to be on the plane to Brazil this game will prove very difficult, 2 day later the Gunners entertain Newcastle (Enough said). On the penultimate weekend Arsenal are at home to a West Brom team that could be safe by then, but hopefully for our sake they have something to play for, on the same day (probably day after for T.V) we have City at Goodison, a team more than likely needing 3 points awaits. The final game has us at Hull, we should be good enough to win here and Arsenal are away to Norwich who will probably be safe also (hopefully not).

I honestly think we need to win at least 5 more games including this Sunday's to stand a chance, even then it will probably not be enough, it's all pure guess work on my part but i think Arsenal can easily win all remaining games after Sunday's.

Tough but not impossible COYB

I expect Arsenal to drop some points with those games they have. They look easy - but Arsenal are not what they were at the start of the season, and those teams have been playing well. One or two draws could open the door for Everton.

Everton have to win all their games, (or can probably only afford to drop one game) if they are serious about 4th place.

Will be tough but at least we are there to be challenging and at least we have something to shout about, they have the easier run in but like results have showed this season anything can happen, some of there games won't be as easy as they look, and at least our games are at home and i think we can beat anyone at home, that Southampton game away for us will be a very tough game but we are on very good form at the moment and full of confidence so we will be right up for every game from now til the end of the season.

Win all our remaining games and we finish 4th. That is the task ahead. If we do not take 3 this weekend it is over. We might be able to draw or lose one game from the other 6.

Sorry to be defeatist, but the huge difference in opposition quality/motivation during the run in makes me very pessimistic.

Its fantastic that we can look forward to next Sundays game still dreaming of a champions league place, considering how we all felt entering injury time against Cardiff it's been an amazing turnaround in both our form and the form of the Gunners.

I have had a look at the remaining fixtures both sides have remaining this morning and my optimism has taken a slight knock, here are both teams remaining fixtures.

Arsenal

Everton A 6th April

West Ham H 15th April

Hull A 19th April

Newcastle H 28th April

West Brom H 3rd May

Norwich A 11th May

Everton

Arsenal H 6th April

Sunderland A 12th April

Palace H 16th April

Man Utd H 20th April

Southampton H 26th April

Man City H 3rd May

Hull City A 11th May

Looking at both team final fixtures we have by far the most difficult, the Arsenal game next Sunday is obviously a must win game now after the point they picked up against City, the following weekend we go to a team fighting relegation and we have a poor record at the Stadium of light into the bargain.

Are you confusing the Stadium of Light in Sunderland with the one in Lisbon lol?

12-13 - Lost 0-1
11-12 - Won 2-0 (Cup), Drew 1-1 League
10-11 - Drew 2-2
09-10 - Drew 1-1
08-09 - Won 2-0
07-08 - Won 1-0
05-06 - Won 1-0

We've only lost there once since 05/06 and that was a different Everton side. Same with the ones who drew in recent seasons.

Like you say, we need to win 5 or 6 games out of the next 8 to stand a chance. If we can't go to places like Sunderland and Hull and win away, we don't deserve 4th. The recent wins at Newcastle and Fulham give me great confidence going to Southampton, Sunderland and Hull. Obviously the Arsenal game is a must win now.

I still expect Arsenal to get it, but we have a great chance after the 2 back to back away wins. They should win all 3 of their home games, although they did slip up recently against Swansea so who knows? It's Norwich and Hull away where we need them to slip up.

Status
Not open for further replies.