Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this lad any good or is the obsession because he has an exotic name and plays for Chile
DAD48C85-3E0A-41A4-B32A-429F1371A090.webp

I mean the lad is only 23 and had racked up over 100 games in the Championship at 21 before his breakout season last season, and got called up internationally in the first place. Clearly he's been a talented player for a while.

It doesn't mean he'll be able to step up to the Prem and that it wasn't just a hot season last season, but I'm just saying, it's not like he came out of nowhere
I did say that I had no idea if he was any good.

Some confidence bounce then that's kept his form going for 18 months/2 years
And yet nobody has come in for him. If there was confidence that he would be good enough at a higher level then you would have thought after 2 years there would have been more interest not least from newly promoted sides. International football is not a firm indicator that a player can play in the Premier league.

And yet nobody has come in for him. If there was confidence that he would be good enough at a higher level then you would have thought after 2 years there would have been more interest not least from newly promoted sides. International football is not a firm indicator that a player can play in the Premier league.
If we sell Gordon we should be looking for a DCL upgrade rather than a DCL cover

To me sometimes we just need to take a punt if it’s around the £15m mark. Ivan Toney was knocking around the lower leagues for years and only got a PL chance via promotion with his own team.
I definitely agree that sometimes that’s what we need to do and we’ve been guilty of not doing it enough in the past. Whether now is the time to do it though, I’m not sure. If the club have extensively scouted him and think he’s the answer then fine, if they’re just taking a punt then they’re effectively gambling our PL future on him. It’s a big call.

Had a confidence boost as a result of international caps apparently. He may be flattering to deceive at the moment - no idea personally though.

Summary was fans got on his back giving him grief big time as he was a massive outlay for them at the time, think 7.5m at 19, and he struggled badly, then the Chilean stuff all happened and coincided with the stadium lockdowns so boost from playing for Chile then came back to empty stadiums so no barracking on him and he really kicked on from then.

I definitely agree that sometimes that’s what we need to do and we’ve been guilty of not doing it enough in the past. Whether now is the time to do it though, I’m not sure. If the club have extensively scouted him and think he’s the answer then fine, if they’re just taking a punt then they’re effectively gambling our PL future on him. It’s a big call.

A lot of that depends on if he's the only incoming or one of several.

A lot of that depends on if he's the only incoming or one of several.

That's it for me, if he's the only forward coming in I'd be terrified as there's enough question marks about him, if he's one if several then there's enough positives to feel happy about him coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back