2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs a preseason after his was wrecked last year.

Having said that, the Newcastle rumours are there and id not be surprised to see an offer on the table.

As you say a full pre season, but I definitely would not sell Godfrey, okay he's had an up and down season due to no pre season of note, injuries and apparently long covid. But for me he's still youngish for a centre half, can play in the full back role, is lightening fast, very aggressive and I think his aerial ability has improved as the Season has worn on. One definite improvement he has to make is his ability on the ball though, but still youngish.

As you say a full pre season, but I definitely would not sell Godfrey, okay he's had an up and down season due to no pre season of note, injuries and apparently long covid. But for me he's still youngish for a centre half, can play in the full back role, is lightening fast, very aggressive and I think his aerial ability has improved as the Season has worn on. One definite improvement he has to make is his ability on the ball though, but still youngish.
He is 24 now so not that young, he isn't that great in the air mate, only wins just over 50% of his aerial challenges which for a CB is rubbish. The key thing for me though is his positioning, he can get caught 20 yards out of place at times which at his age now if he hasn't learnt it he never will as its bare basics stuff.

He is 24 now so not that young, he isn't that great in the air mate, only wins just over 50% of his aerial challenges which for a CB is rubbish. The key thing for me though is his positioning, he can get caught 20 yards out of place at times which at his age now if he hasn't learnt it he never will as its bare basics stuff.

Disagree 24 is still young for a centre half and I do feel he has improved in the air as the Season word on, positional sense comes with experience, most of his games for Everton have been as left back. He does need to improve is his ball playing aspect which at times is to sideways and backwards.

Weird question I know he had some injury issues last season it but didn't seem as extensive. Is it possible that he's suffering from long covid and it's making more susceptible to injury?

Like Holgate, came with promise but never kicked on. He'd be high on my list of those to purge come summer.

Weird question I know he had some injury issues last season it but didn't seem as extensive. Is it possible that he's suffering from long covid and it's making more susceptible to injury?
Wouldn't have thought it would cause problems with muscular / skeletal problems more lungs , stamina etc
Covid can pretty much cause anything. I have a friend who was training for an ultra marathon pre covid with no health issues. She got covid, all she had was fatigue at the time (the April of first lockdown).

She is now in a wheelchair, had her bladder removed and has pretty much been through hell for 2 years, in an out of hospital. There is progress but it's slow.

So it's plausible that his body has reacted badly to covid and it has caused further issues and damage but I doubt we will ever know, and most have just moved on from covid so probably won't even be considered and he will just be called a sicknote.

Covid can pretty much cause anything. I have a friend who was training for an ultra marathon pre covid with no health issues. She got covid, all she had was fatigue at the time (the April of first lockdown).

She is now in a wheelchair, had her bladder removed and has pretty much been through hell for 2 years, in an out of hospital. There is progress but it's slow.

So it's plausible that his body has reacted badly to covid and it has caused further issues and damage but I doubt we will ever know, and most have just moved on from covid so probably won't even be considered and he will just be called a sicknote.
Firstmost My sympathies for your friend that sounds horrific. The full ramifications of covid haven't been thoroughly explored enough within the medical community in my opinion and I know when he originally returned to play he was clearly affected by covid in what was the typical symptoms breathing issues and such he just seemed be lacking endurance and just looked physically off. But like you stated we'll probably never know the extent of the negative influence on Godfrey.

Firstmost My sympathies for your friend that sounds horrific. The full ramifications of covid haven't been thoroughly explored enough within the medical community in my opinion and I know when he originally returned to play he was clearly affected by covid in what was the typical symptoms breathing issues and such he just seemed be lacking endurance and just looked physically off. But like you stated we'll probably never know the extent of the negative influence on Godfrey.
He was definitely off the pace following covid, and when your body is physically worn down, you will be more susceptible to injuries as well, regardless of whether they are directly attributed to covid or not.

We also have a medical team/previous managers over the years who had a tendency to rush players back early which also can cause longer term repeat injuries etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.