2023/24 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but he dropped out of the race to purchase... could be a good conspiracy theory in this!
I've got one if you like:

Friedkin was reported to want just a minority share. Textor wanted a majority share and was willing to work with a minority partner. There's an obvious way for both to get what they want.

BUT the only way to execute it while Textor is tied up in Palace is for Friedkin to buy the lot and hold the fort until Textor is free. Friedkin then sells a majority share to Textor at an agreed value and both have ended up with what they wanted.

Hence why suddenly all roads in our transfer business seem to lead to Textor.

If we're being offered actual money to get another of our higher earners who really shouldn't be one of our higher earner off the books, we'd be silly not to imo.

I liked Godfrey when we first brought him in. I think there's been a perfect storm of reasons as to why he's not developed into the player we were hoping we were getting: Covid, serious injuries, and being shifted around the backline to accommodate our lack of depth stunting his development as a centre half.

If we're being offered actual money to get another of our higher earners who really shouldn't be one of our higher earner off the books, we'd be silly not to imo.

I liked Godfrey when we first brought him in. I think there's been a perfect storm of reasons as to why he's not developed into the player we were hoping we were getting: Covid, serious injuries, and being shifted around the backline to accommodate our lack of depth stunting his development as a centre half.
The main reason is that the game has changed in recent years and every team now applies a press on defenders so if you haven’t got clever feet your obsolete as a CB.

This is true of Harry Maguire, Mick Keane and many others.

The main reason is that the game has changed in recent years and every team now applies a press on defenders so if you haven’t got clever feet your obsolete as a CB.

This is true of Harry Maguire, Mick Keane and many others.

In an order of getting rid it would be

Keane
Holgate
Godfrey

Keanes wage means there's no chance of Peterborough coming in for him and same for Holgate. So, that leaves Godfrey and for what he earns and what we're getting offered, it's a no brainer isn't it to move him out

In an order of getting rid it would be

Keane
Holgate
Godfrey

Keanes wage means there's no chance of Peterborough coming in for him and same for Holgate. So, that leaves Godfrey and for what he earns and what we're getting offered, it's a no brainer isn't it to move him out
Also Godfrey walks for free in 12 months time & he ain’t signing what we’re offering.

Need to get some money in for him.

Holgate and Keane as our back up CBs is a terrifying thought though.

Friedkin was reported to want just a minority share. Textor wanted a majority share and was willing to work with a minority partner. There's an obvious way for both to get what they want.

BUT the only way to execute it while Textor is tied up in Palace is for Friedkin to buy the lot and hold the fort until Textor is free. Friedkin then sells a majority share to Textor at an agreed value and both have ended up with what they wanted.

I like it 👍

Interesting and maybe not so far fetched.

Love the twist.
Textor got a mate to help him out.

Also Godfrey walks for free in 12 months time & he ain’t signing what we’re offering.

Yep, no matter I'd want better defensive cover. Best we can do is get Keane and Holgate off the books wages wise on loan, though I don't think Holgate helped himself with 2 disastrous loan spells last season.

Correct - there is a serious drop off in ability between our 2 current regular starters and the 2 back ups.

In an ideal world we'd get in another CB who's much closer in ability to Tarkowski then the other 2 clowns and offload one of them... but that's easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back