2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't world class, and won't be, what he is basically is a very good player who has massively improved the team by being part of it, and if he chips in with 6-7 a season that'll do me.

Bernard had a tough game yesterday. Haven't seen the chance against United but yesterdays the ball just didn't fall for him. I'd still fancy him to slot a decent amount of chances and particularly pick the right pass.

People should also not overlook how hard he works. At Leicester I saw somewhere he recovered the ball 13 times. It's an incredible work rate. Similar to Walcott in this regard as well, didn't have a good game yesterday by any stretch, but watch how intelligent and hard working he is without the ball. For Silva he will know he can ask those players to do a job defensively and they can do it for him.

I think Bernard will be at his best when he runs a game for us. That's his ability really, getting on the ball and dictating play. I think we will have more end product from him than we got from Peinaar but he will control the flow well. Yesterday was difficult for him, their right back put him under lots of pressure and he isn't going to burst passed full backs.

He is also acclimatising to the league and for me still getting full match fitness. Probably another lad who you see the best of at Goodison in the 2nd half of the season. However look at how lads like Klaassen bombed. He is doing fine. Being overpowered by the best right back in the league is no disgrace,

It's interesting for me that Carragher singled him out for praise yesterday on 2 or 3 occasions. Spoke of his composure on the ball and while it's not a noticeable immediate thing to the viewer, it really helps a team to get out and break a press when you have lads like him who can take the ball in deeper areas.

Don't know if it's just because he's not fully fit yet or if he needs to learn that PL full backs are quicker/stronger than he's used to, but that thing he keeps doing where he tries to go from a standing start past his full back after standing them up needs binning pretty sharpish. He's wasted a number of really good situations by trying to be clever like that.

That (and his seemingly appalling finishing) apart though, he's a very very good player. Exceptionally talented, and exactly what we've needed for a long time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...demands-var-premier-league-bernard-head-butt/

You literally couldn't write it.

" Rudiger said: “I think if in England we have VAR then I think Bernard has a problem. He was diving and I told him to stand up, and then I was standing and he came with a lot of speed and hit me with his forehead, and I get a yellow card. To me that’s a joke. "

Watch him get banned now.
He can’t get banned retrospectively as the referee dealt with the issue at the time
Same applies to the tackle on Siggy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...demands-var-premier-league-bernard-head-butt/

You literally couldn't write it.

" Rudiger said: “I think if in England we have VAR then I think Bernard has a problem. He was diving and I told him to stand up, and then I was standing and he came with a lot of speed and hit me with his forehead, and I get a yellow card. To me that’s a joke. "

Watch him get banned now.
The commentators on SSN laughed at Rudiger this morning and said he should be embarrassed about his actions

The commentators on SSN laughed at Rudiger this morning and said he should be embarrassed about his actions
As he should be, in any environment other than a modern day football team you'd be ripped to pieces for going down to a nudge from a person a whole foot smaller than you and then crying about it. He's a disgrace, it's a shame we didn't still have Fellaini to give him a real reason to go down with one of his trademark elbows.

Still getting used to the league and getting fitness back. Missed the end of last season with an injury and had no pre season so hadn't played since about March. Think he's done OK personally and it's clear he is a classy footballer.

If Siggy isn't ready for the Cardiff game, I'd play him in the middle and bring Richarlison back to his favoured left side. Similar to Walcott, I think he'd be wasted up top with his back to goal. Would probably bring Tosun back for another go up top in the hope he's able to link the play better.

Im going to be controversial and say Bernard is a horses for courses player i.e. he will be more effective in specific games. No doubt he has tremendous technique, vision and the ability to create. I think there are games where is threat is nullified by superior athleticism or physicality and a better option may be the way to go. Im not wholly convinced can some of his inconsistency can be put down to not being fit etc, at this stage i think he must be fairly close to peak.

Reminds me a bit of of the Osman context if he was was a foot taller and a stone and a half heavier would probably be one of the best players out there.

Im going to be controversial and say Bernard is a horses for courses player i.e. he will be more effective in specific games. No doubt he has tremendous technique, vision and the ability to create. I think there are games where is threat is nullified by superior athleticism or physicality and a better option may be the way to go. Im not wholly convinced can some of his inconsistency can be put down to not being fit etc, at this stage i think he must be fairly close to peak.

Reminds me a bit of of the Osman context if he was was a foot taller and a stone and a half heavier would probably be one of the best players out there.
No I tend to agree mate and said as much in an earlier post today. There will be other games where he will be a lot more effective for us.

Bernard had a tough game yesterday. Haven't seen the chance against United but yesterdays the ball just didn't fall for him. I'd still fancy him to slot a decent amount of chances and particularly pick the right pass.

People should also not overlook how hard he works. At Leicester I saw somewhere he recovered the ball 13 times. It's an incredible work rate. Similar to Walcott in this regard as well, didn't have a good game yesterday by any stretch, but watch how intelligent and hard working he is without the ball. For Silva he will know he can ask those players to do a job defensively and they can do it for him.

I think Bernard will be at his best when he runs a game for us. That's his ability really, getting on the ball and dictating play. I think we will have more end product from him than we got from Peinaar but he will control the flow well. Yesterday was difficult for him, their right back put him under lots of pressure and he isn't going to burst passed full backs.

He is also acclimatising to the league and for me still getting full match fitness. Probably another lad who you see the best of at Goodison in the 2nd half of the season. However look at how lads like Klaassen bombed. He is doing fine. Being overpowered by the best right back in the league is no disgrace,

It's interesting for me that Carragher singled him out for praise yesterday on 2 or 3 occasions. Spoke of his composure on the ball and while it's not a noticeable immediate thing to the viewer, it really helps a team to get out and break a press when you have lads like him who can take the ball in deeper areas.

As I said mate, for me, he can provide a similar role for this team that Pienaar did for Moyes, difference being he will have much better quality on the ball around him so ultimately it should give him more chance to shine as well.

He's the bench mark level of player we should be aiming at recruiting imo, have a team with 7-8 players of that ability level and the supplement it with 3-4 of the quality of say Pickford/Richarlison/Lozano? etc and it's top four calibre.

This fella could get a run as a no.10 now depending on Sigurdsson's fitness. I can see him being given a go there over Dowell.

..it would be very interesting to see him in that role. I’m not aware he’s been a regular no10 at his previous clubs. I couldn’t see him having the same goal threat as Sigurdsson (amazes me how often he gets himself around the penalty box whenwe attack out wide). I’m also not sure of his vision, against United he had a great chance to put Walcott in and I was surprised he didn’t.

He’s brilliant in tight areas and combination play. Pienaar like. I’m sure that’s why Silva plays him. He wants players who can keep possession and link with others around him. Smashing footballer, just not sure about how effective he’ll be at no10. Interesting to see him,though.

I've done some sums, and he is approximately 4 million times the footballer that the horrible grassing kopite osman was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back