2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is position. If Bernard was playing central midfield I would rate his last season highly. But he is playing as a wing and those players have to offer more in and around the box. I get that his game is more but the part that is missing is the most important part.

...I suspect you think this thread is about Mick Bernard.

The better teams tend to have better individual players to. And to go a step further better attacking players specifically. They need to fit together but acting like the whole left side will fall apart if we sign someone who is better than Bernard is just insane. Digne is good because of Digne. Baines was good because of Baines. The wingers helped them just like any winger would have and not because those two were specifically so good that the fullbacks were propped up.

You clearly don’t know football. First Bernard and now pienaar.

You only have to see how much more effective Coleman is when he plays with richarlison than when he does with Walcott to know how much wham you’re chatting

You clearly don’t know football. First Bernard and now pienaar.

You only have to see how much more effective Coleman is when he plays with richarlison than when he does with Walcott to know how much wham you’re chatting
I understand that a good winger can open up space for the fullback. I'd also rather have a winger that is a massive threat on his own even if that means the fullback is a bystander. If I can't have both I'm choosing the winger that can do it on his own. I guess it is a matter of preference.

Bernard and Theo clearly need to be more clinical in the final 3rd, but Bernard in particular is a workhorse that was often instrumental in the buildup. I can only imagine that we will see him shine this year as it took him a while to get going last season. Now he has a full year under his belt and he seems at home on the left.

I understand that a good winger can open up space for the fullback. I'd also rather have a winger that is a massive threat on his own even if that means the fullback is a bystander. If I can't have both I'm choosing the winger that can do it on his own. I guess it is a matter of preference.

A winger needs a good fullback. A fullback needs a good winger. It aint pick and mix.

A winger needs a good fullback. A fullback needs a good winger. It aint pick and mix.
You guys make it sound like if we signed say Iwobi then Digne would just be useless. We can improve on Bernard without killing Lucas. I promise it can be done.

I think Pienaar would be remembered a lot less fondly if Leighton Baines wasn't the best attacking fullback in the world for a 5 year spell. Best player since Rooney's first spell? LOL. He was decent though. Proper 7th place player.
You're ignoring chemistry.

Players are not numbers. Baines was one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world for 5 years because he worked so well with Pienaar. Don't you find it interesting that Baines loss of that status coincides directly with Pienaar's retirement/aging out of the squad?

Pienaar and Baines were excellent. They were each multipliers of each other. Alone they were merely very good.

You guys make it sound like if we signed say Iwobi then Digne would just be useless. We can improve on Bernard without killing Lucas. I promise it can be done.

He might be. He might not be. Thats the point. Us guys understand football. Our left side is sound.

Oh, and the bolded bit. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.