Best Away You've Been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I think the midweek away game at Spurs in the run-up to winning the league in '85 is tops for me. Spurs also had a chance of winning but such was the quality and belief in that side it was truly a title winning performance. Ironically I found myself with Spurs fans in their part of the ground ('The Shelf') but hearing their admiration for our players and witnessing our fans erupt when we scored was unforgettable.

A few that come to mind are Chelsea away, when Cahill scored in the last minute, Man City away when we beat them 2-0 Lescott got the first, can't remember who got the 2nd and UTD in the Semi-final was a great day.

Mine was one of my first away days once I got full time employment. It was Stoke away when Fellaini made his debut I think, IIRC we won 3-2.
After that I done west brom away same season, I think Cahill had a goal disallowed, whilst my mate was standing on some metal barrier, a bizzy asked him to get down, of course amongst all the temporary excitement he couldn't hear her, so she poked him with her baton and pushed him off, landed on top of me and the guy infront, Absoloute scenes only for the referee to blow up lol

2009 Man United Semi Final also one of my favourites.

There have been many great moments at away's i've been to but Sunderland away in the Cup Quarter Final reply in 2012 was probably the best overall. 6,000 of us and we bossed the game all the way though. Got a fairly early lead to keep the good support going throughout the first half and then our end went wild when Vaughan stuck it in his own net in front of us in the second half. Never in danger once that went in.

Was probably extra special knowing we were going to face the RS in the Semi but we all should have known not to have been excited about that prospect lol.

For me it has to be my first away game, 12/03/1966 away at Arsenal, 1 nil win with Pickering getting the goal, as it was my tenth birthday we had a family weekend in London. Felt great on the Monday going back to school as I was now a proper fan cause I'd been to an away match.

Anyone ever been to a game that was off but you didnt find out until you got there?
Coventry away in the 80s went on the train early,went on the lash when we got there got up the ground 20 minutes before kick off to find it had been called off spent the day in various pubs and got on great with all the Cov lads we met

I haven't been to many away games. Not sure if the '84 Cup final counts as an away but obviously that was truly awesome. For "proper" aways the best one I've been to was the Europa League against Young Boys in Bern. Ticked off a huge bucket list item- seeing Everton away in Europe. Prior to that my financial situation and/or Everton qualifying for Europe never seemed to match up.

Hoping to re-visit European aways in the not too distant future......lol

Sunderland away in the cup quarter final with the Jelavic brace was a special night.

West Brom last season coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 was decent.

I remember a good one away at Bolton nearly 10 years ago as well. Went to a few Bolton away games so might be getting these confused, but i think it was Yakubus debut, he scored the first, and then Lescott got a stoppage time winner after Kevin Davies had equalised for them. Limbs

The already mentioned Tottenham 1985. I was walking away from the ground and we got attacked by a load of Arsenal fans who didn't care whether you were Everton or Spurs.

Also Spurs 2006 - Kilbane, in his last game in an Everton shirt, sent off in the first half for two yellows in quick succession. The expected tonking never came as we won 0-2 with second half goals from Davenport o.g. (though Lescott had a big part in it and I thought he'd scored it) and Andy Johnson.

Best moment - with about 10 minutes still to go Tim Cahill goes into a tackle and loses his left boot. He goes to put it on but sees Spurs starting an attack, so he chucks it aside, goes into a tackle and comes away with the ball and advances upfield, only to lose his footing as he plays a pass. "One boot, he's only got one boot..." we hollered to the rapidly thinning Spurs crowd. Their end was almost empty by the final whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back