Best city on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venice: absolutely rammed full of tourists, but it's incredible.
Florence: stunning food, architecture and history - lovely people too.

Venice - by day was nuts, really beautiful. Words don't do it justice. Spent our time just riding the vaporettos around and hopping off at whatever stop we fancied. Night - seemed the bulk of the tourists were gone off on their cruise ships or whatever. Second night hung out in the piaza behind our hotel and, with a gaggle of locals and tourists from all over, watched some band play. Was great.

Really enjoyed Venice, Florence, and Rome... as well as the little of Bologna we saw during a three hour side trip. Rome was my favorite by a small margin. Probably because beyond the ancient history sites I love, the people there - I connected best with them

Been to Europe twice... Paris/Venice/Florence/Rome and Munich(Salzburg)/Paris/Amsterdam. Next time - whenever that is - I want to plan a couple days where we just get off a train in some town between major cities and spend more time seeing of the "real" country. The problem is travel is so expensive, and there is just too much to see.

Venice, New York, San Fran, and even Amsterdam rate for me but...

Cape Town beats them all. I'm not sure there are many (if any) people who've been to Cape Town that would not rate it #1.

Not the most scenic of cities by any stretch of ones imagination, but Rotterdam holds a special place in my memory following a short, but everso memorable visit there in the mid 80's... I think there may have been one or two others on this forum there as well ;);):cheers:;);)

RE: whoever asked about Paris, just go to the Louvre. It's absolutely brilliant. Anything else pales in significance.
Gonna sound like a proper luddite here, but whilst the louvre does hold some amazing art, there's waaay too much of it! Like there's tons from some artists, and you're walking down vast corridors going 'right, yep, another one from that fella'. Starts to get a bit, dare I say it, boring. Found myself looking at one or two from an artist and then skipping onto the next chap.

Gonna sound like a proper luddite here, but whilst the louvre does hold some amazing art, there's waaay too much of it! Like there's tons from some artists, and you're walking down vast corridors going 'right, yep, another one from that fella'. Starts to get a bit, dare I say it, boring. Found myself looking at one or two from an artist and then skipping onto the next chap.
so true,far to big and precious for me,British history blows it out the water in my opinion.the Louvre,in, see Mona Lisa and out again

Great area Glebe isn't it, quite historic too. My local was the Toxteth of all places haha.

Was you down by one of the bays then or in Balmain istelf?

I can imagine it to be cool going by ferry to work, Brisbane is a great city for that. Great going down the Brisbane river in lovely weather.
I was just off the main road near the hospital. Just been on google maps looking for the street, so crazy seeing the house again after 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back