Best pub around Goodison

I have stopped off pre match in the Anfield Hotel for 20+ years, but this year it just hasn't re-opened its doors. Was always a great place, quick service and the girls behind the bar were great.

I suspected it may struggle without the bi-weekly injection of sales, but am gutted to see it go this close to the move.

I just hope all the girls are alright and the old boys who were ALWAYS at the bar have found a new watering hole.

The unfortunate truth is that many of the places around Goodison will likely go the same way without matchday income. Not just pubs, but many of the newsagents as well.

….i go back to the 60s/70s when Everton Supporters Club was on City Rd. My Mum was the ‘The Committee’ along with Gertie Dunlop (Albert Dunlop’s Mum). From a young age I was a regular, going before and after the match with my Dad and uncles. I had a season ticket on front row of Upper Gwladys (A80).

I was too young to drink, of course, and my own footy was getting a bit of attention but it will always be my favourite Goodison watering hole.

I recall Joe Royle’s Dad was in the three piece band that regularly played on stage (I think he was the drummer). It was there the night we won the league in 1970 that Alan Ball snr let me touch his son’s Championship winners medal.

Great memories of that place, I have a picture somewhere of my family in the club the night we won 4-0 at Anfield in 1964 (I think).
I am sure Joe Royle senior played the piano.
He played at the Broadway in Clubmoor/Norris Green as well.
I went on a Supporters Club Xmas trip to see Ken Dodd at the Royal Court in the early 70s.

In the 80s I used to drink in the Melrose Abbey which had waitress service(the landlady) in the little snug.

Moved on to Lulu’s and now have a pre-match tipple at the Barlow Arms…the extension and courtyard have made a real difference.

I quite like the Harlech castle, but tbh try and avoid the pubs round goodison as they are (obvs) so busy, a couple of cans from the offie and stand/sit around goodison road or gwladys st on a wall watching the crowd build up is my preferred pre match hour these days

Since we've come back after the pandemic me and my brother have always drank in the Chepstow before kick off.

Used to drink in Players on County Road - Orries was it called previously? - when I would come with my Grandad before they hiked the prices up, then after that we started drinking in the Walton Social Club down the road from the Anfield Hotel.

Since we've come back after the pandemic me and my brother have always drank in the Chepstow before kick off.

Used to drink in Players on County Road - Orries was it called previously? - when I would come with my Grandad before they hiked the prices up, then after that we started drinking in the Walton Social Club down the road from the Anfield Hotel.

That's where me and my Dad go now. Only figured out they had a garden 2 games ago. 😂

I have stopped off pre match in the Anfield Hotel for 20+ years, but this year it just hasn't re-opened its doors. Was always a great place, quick service and the girls behind the bar were great.

I suspected it may struggle without the bi-weekly injection of sales, but am gutted to see it go this close to the move.

I just hope all the girls are alright and the old boys who were ALWAYS at the bar have found a new watering hole.

The unfortunate truth is that many of the places around Goodison will likely go the same way without matchday income. Not just pubs, but many of the newsagents as well.
It’s a sad truth.
Growing up in Walton , these were the places I knew and being able to revisit them at matchday was like coming home.
So many have gone already.
Not looking forward to the move at all.

That's where me and my Dad go now. Only figured out they had a garden 2 games ago. 😂
When the weather was gorgeous last season for the Sheffield United home game, I just got 3 pints and had them all sat on the brick wall in someone's front garden to the right of the pub 😂 They were sound with it like haha

Dan.webp

I quite like the Harlech castle, but tbh try and avoid the pubs round goodison as they are (obvs) so busy, a couple of cans from the offie and stand/sit around goodison road or gwladys st on a wall watching the crowd build up is my preferred pre match hour these days
Lot of decent people in the Harlech and their remembrance tributes they put on in November has to be seen to be belived. Outstanding x

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back